Barang victim complex

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Barang victim complex

Post by Soi Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:Not me. I enjoy paying more than others. It makes me feel morally superior. :thumb:
I always just assumed that you are.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Heh!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

StroppyChops wrote:
Jacket wrote:And while I'm at it, let's do away with the whole notion of "barang prices". Because people who keep banging on about "barang prices" never talk about "barang salaries" or barang "I'm getting long term unemployment benefit from my government and spend it in Cambodia even though I'm not supposed to" money. We make 5 to 10 times what a cambodian makes a month (on an average) and we complain that they might want to charge us a thousand Riel more on a kilo of potatoes than some girl that's making bugger all from working at the factory for a month. For real? Give me a fucking break. Some foreigner's here are just crybabies.
Personally, we're not getting a cent from anybody, and we're paying the wages of three Khmer from our own savings - and barang prices vs. local prices shit me.
Barrang versus local? The idea that Khmer people start off at a lower negotiating point is just false. Sure, they might know a fair price on everyday goods. That helps for the first few months. I guess when you spend everyday with a Khmer partner, you start to see how bad sellers try to overcharge them then you don't feel like you are getting a "barrang" price.

Not every Khmer likes negotiations. My wife hates it. She says she feels bad about the sellers and can never negotiate a fair price. Heh. Too kind!
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Jacket wrote: And while I'm at it, let's do away with the whole notion of "barang prices". Because people who keep banging on about "barang prices" never talk about "barang salaries" ............. We make 5 to 10 times what a cambodian makes a month (on an average) and we complain that they might want to charge us a thousand Riel more on a kilo of potatoes ............Some foreigner's here are just crybabies.
Nah....well. Didn't know that Cambodian market prices are now salary based. Perhaps in the future they are going to ask you for your wage slip before telling you a price. How do they handle that in your country ? Are they charging you $ 2 for a kilo of potatoes and that Japanese guy next to you has to pay $ 10 for having slit eyes and too much money ????? Give me a break.........
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

....and btw........for that hazardous shit quality they offer in Cambodia they shouldn't be charging anything.

In den Meeren salzig ist
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I ride past the tourist area at least twice every day on my way to work. I think they deserved their own categories. In random order:

The short visit sex tourist: they usually try their luck at touristy areas. Anyone from waitresses to book/flower sellers. Very lucrative for gigs the local skanks and not surprisingly very successful.

The expats: sharing their expertise of their local knowledge of less than 0.5 km radius of Pub Street to the newbies while intentionally and unashamedly taking advantage of them. Their main stream of income.

The NGOs: telling clueless people how terrible the poor people and their living condition while living comfortably and sipping 2 dollars plus latte every morning.

The cheap backpackers: I actually like this group, at least they are honest. Willing to share $3 a night hostel with 8 random people in a jammed room.

The drifting newbies while still in honeymoon period: I belong to this category. Everything was happy an dandy until faced with the real ugly realities.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

I also find that I can only see distant stereotypes from the behind the wheel.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Francis wrote:....and btw........for that hazardous shit quality they offer in Cambodia they shouldn't be charging anything.
You always seem so bitter about Cambodia. Why are you "stuck" here, poor Fella?
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote: You always seem so bitter about Cambodia. Why are you "stuck" here, poor Fella?
Well, I've always had problems to say something positive about Cambodia. I'm kind of realist you know.
Btw., I'm not stuck in Cambodia.......have left the country about 2 month ago in direction Europe and I feel very well where I am now. Haven't missed Cambodia for a single second so far. You guys should do the same.....go home or go somewhere else.........Cambodia and most parts of Asia is not the right place to be anymore.

In den Meeren salzig ist
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America