Only Five Cambodian Restaurants in the UK

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Only Five Cambodian Restaurants in the UK

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

There is surely room for a few more Cambodian restaurants in the UK. Why so few ?

A Cambodian restaurant – one of only five in the entire UK – is set to open in Buxton

By Ben McVay
Thursday, 18th June 2020, 12:26 pm
Updated
20 hours ago
Angkor Soul - based at the Portland Hotel - will open its doors to diners in September. Owner and head chef Y Sok (pronounced (E Soak) says the new eatery will deliver ‘good quality traditional Khmer cuisine’.

Amazingly the new eating place will be one of only five dedicated restaurants in the country where foodies can try Cambodian food.

Apart from the planned Buxton outlet there are currently just three in Manchester - two of which are run by Angkor Soul - and one other in Camden, London.

Y - who settled in England after leaving Cambodia as a girl - described her home country’s cooking as ‘similar to Vietnamese or Thai food but with an element of French food’.

She added: “Anyone who likes Thai or Vietnamese will love Cambodian food - the closest thing would be a cross between the two.
“But there’s an element of French food such as bread, butter and coffee because Cambodia was a French colony.
“It’s much lighter than Thai food with its coconut curries but it’s slightly heavier than Vietnamese - somewhere between the two.”
https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/busi ... on-2888258
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Only Five Cambodian Restaurants in the UK

Post by Yerg »

Camden is not too far from me. So I’ll be heading to check that one out as soon as I can.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:08 pm
She added: “Anyone who likes Thai or Vietnamese will love Cambodian food - the closest thing would be a cross between the two.
“But there’s an element of French food such as bread, butter and coffee because Cambodia was a French colony.
“It’s much lighter than Thai food with its coconut curries but it’s slightly heavier than Vietnamese - somewhere between the two.”
https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/busi ... on-2888258
Khmer food is much lighter than Thai. OK, got it, never knew that.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I think Vietnam was a French colony too...

There is a reason why there are virtually no Cambodian restaurants in the UK. If anyone invited me to one I would politely decline.

Burnt lamb chops... how authentic. What's next, mushy peas in fish sauce?

Last edited by Doc67 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Lots of Indian restaurants in the UK but few Cambodian ones. I'm totally shocked...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:50 pm Lots of Indian restaurants in the UK but few Cambodian ones. I'm totally shocked...
You never colonised Cambodia =@ :stir:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I went to Lemongrass a couple of times when I lived in Camden Town, it was ok but when I asked it turned out the chef was Thai.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
antonio66
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by antonio66 »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:48 pm I think Vietnam was a French colony too...

There is a reason why there are virtually no Cambodian restaurants in the UK. If anyone invited me to one I would politely decline.

Burnt lamb chops... how authentic. What's next, mushy peas in fish sauce?

Just how I like my lamb chops. :lol:
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:15 pm I went to Lemongrass a couple of times when I lived in Camden Town, it was ok but when I asked it turned out the chef was Thai.
Been there too. Didn't think it was very good or very Cambodian either

If I remember correctly they had a pretty generic western-asian menu + loklak + fish amok. Hardly any kreung in sight
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

cautious colin wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:15 pm I went to Lemongrass a couple of times when I lived in Camden Town, it was ok but when I asked it turned out the chef was Thai.
Been there too. Didn't think it was very good or very Cambodian either

If I remember correctly they had a pretty generic western-asian menu + loklak + fish amok. Hardly any kreung in sight
I've never really got the hype over fish amok. Its an inoffensive dish at its absolute peak, and a bony bowl of shit if lazily prepared.

Has anybody been to this ladies restaurants - article says she has 4 now?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic