Only Five Cambodian Restaurants in the UK

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Only Five Cambodian Restaurants in the UK

Post by angkorjohn2 »

The Original got a good write up by Jay Rayner in the Guardian, also had a record shop in the restaurant which sounds pretty neat, although reading through the review of what he eats, it doesn't quite shout out Cambodian cuisine that I am used to eating at say Kravanh, sounds like their menu it is heavily borrowed from Thai, Vietnamese and French foods rather than Khmer

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... jay-rayner
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I took a friend out to eat in a Cambodian restaurant in France once which was really apalling - run by second-generation Khmer refugees, but they were cooking for french people, so it was not at all Cambodian, but very average Asian-French-fusion food and I was disappointed. :bad:

Then later, we found a little place called "Angkor" (how original), run by a very elderly Khmer couple and the food was amazing. The only problem was that it took about 3 hours to prepare because Granny made every dish by herself from scratch. Papa served the drinks and talked to us about Cambodia. Lol. Ended up drinking about 4 bottles of wine while waiting for the food. Unfortunately, the oldies are now dead long ago, but it was a great place with many happy memories.
:beer3:
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:16 pm
cautious colin wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:15 pm I went to Lemongrass a couple of times when I lived in Camden Town, it was ok but when I asked it turned out the chef was Thai.
Been there too. Didn't think it was very good or very Cambodian either

If I remember correctly they had a pretty generic western-asian menu + loklak + fish amok. Hardly any kreung in sight
I've never really got the hype over fish amok. Its an inoffensive dish at its absolute peak, and a bony bowl of shit if lazily prepared.
I think a good amok is as good as any curry. Needs to be properly balanced, and with a bit of a kick, not too much coconut cream. Etc. And of course no bones

Not at this restaurant. That was just a bog standard amok akin to eleven one or that ilk
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Khmer food is terrible. No wonder so few.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I would think that they would do well, with not having many of these restaurants in the UK it's a bit of a niche market.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:15 pm I went to Lemongrass a couple of times when I lived in Camden Town, it was ok but when I asked it turned out the chef was Thai.
Yes it’s more of a fusion type restaurant. Not Khmer at all.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian Food Truck, in Brighton UK, Threatened with Closure.
Cambodian food is hard to find in the UK...

25th November
The Cambodia Kitchen in Coldean could be forced to close
By Sarah Booker-Lewis Local Democracy Reporter

The Cambodia Kitchen operates on the drive of a family home in Coldean
THE future of a family-run takeaway van is in doubt after the owners were told to seek planning permission.

The Cambodia Kitchen van has been trading from the driveway of the family home, at the bottom of Coldean Lane, Brighton.

Brighton and Hove City Council issued an enforcement notice in March because the business was operating without planning permission.

And officials have recommended that the council’s planning committee turn down the planning application that has since been submitted.

They said that that a hot food takeaway conflicted with the character of the area and was an “incongruous addition to the residential setting”.

The business owner Meyley Pitman contacted the council before starting the business and said that she was told that she did not need a food trading licence because the van was on private land.

Mrs Pitman also said, in her planning application, that she was not told that she needed to apply for planning permission and started her business “in good faith”.

She said that Wild Flour Pizza, in Ovingdean, was an example of a takeaway in a mixed residential area.

And, she said, Coldean Lane was not “traditional and tranquil” because there were takeaways and a pub just down the road.

The council refused to grant planning permission for Wild Flour Pizza but it was approved on appeal.

Mrs Pitman said: “The appeal scheme involved the takeaway operating from a building with outdoor oven and seating areas.

“The hot food takeaway (in Coldean Lane) is less intensive, with a small trailer providing cooking and service facilities, with no customer seating available.”

Mrs Pitman serves food from the van three evenings a week from 4pm to 9pm and added: “Cambodia Kitchen has proved very popular with the local community and is just a part-time operation.

“I’m keen to continue serving the local community I love at weekends if the council allow me to.”

The council has received eight objections to her planning application and 14 emails and letters in support.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1974060 ... ced-close/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
Haha love this post. A classic example of rules and regulations in the west. The ability to appeal a decision. Garnering support from the locals for your plight (open 3 nites a week with a pub down the road). :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic