How to Help Lone, Lost Western Woman in Phnom Penh ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How to Help Lone, Lost Western Woman in Phnom Penh ?

Post by Lost50 »

Why analyse their conduct & try to make yourself sound hollier than thou.

Pieces of shit like this should not be tolerated. I hope they get busted & locked up then sent home at their own expense to Russia.

Most of us are decent, hard working types so fuck scum like this thinking they deserve a free ride.

Shit sake, they could volunteer & help to give something back instead of hanging out like hookers.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 pm It seems to me the title of this thread needs updating.

She is not "Lone", she has a male partner on the next corner. If they stood together I suspect her prospects of sympathy and money would be zero so the whole façade is one of deception.
She is not "lost".
She is not "Western", she is Russian, which is the most easterly country in the world

A better revised title would be, "Watch out for professional Russian female beggar with husband on nearby corner"
All true....plus, she is peddling the line 'no where to go' which is bs and pure lie & deception coz they have a $3/night guesthouse waiting for them plus they're planning to go to Vietnam where they said it's cheaper once the border opens thumbdown
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 pm It seems to me the title of this thread needs updating.

She is not "Lone", she has a male partner on the next corner. If they stood together I suspect her prospects of sympathy and money would be zero so the whole façade is one of deception.
She is not "lost".
She is not "Western", she is Russian, which is the most easterly country in the world

A better revised title would be, "Watch out for professional Russian female beggar with husband on nearby corner"
:thumb:
However, the OP was written by a concerned Khmer on FB so the title sums up how he or she saw the situation originally. He or she had "pity" on the woman and wanted to help.
It's only later that people noticed the stray husband down the road (I bet he doesn't earn as much as his wife), and then someone asked her what she was doing, and found out that she is a professional beggar.
There are three stories now about white women begpacking, (two in PP and one in Kampot), all blond with a sign in Khmer asking for money to travel. Same woman, do you think ?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:06 pm

She is not "lost".

However, the OP was written by a concerned Khmer on FB so the title sums up how he or she saw the situation originally. He or she had "pity" on the woman and wanted to help.
It's only later that people noticed the stray husband down the road (I bet he doesn't earn as much as his wife), and then someone asked her what she was doing, and found out that she is a professional beggar.
There are three stories now about white women begpacking, (two in PP and one in Kampot), all blond with a sign in Khmer asking for money to travel. Same woman, do you think ?
Granted that's what the OP felt based on what he saw and the sign did apparently say in khmer "I travel without money and have no place to go". So, it seems a perfectly apt description of the situation from his point of view.

However, the sign did not say 'We' and she does in fact have a place to go.

So these begpackers are not being honest and deceiving khmers and they should condemned for it in my book. :angry:

Re is it the same woman? Well, how many tallish foreign women hang out on street corners begging for money in this space of time? And one of the other topics suggested she might be polish...too much coincidence.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:06 pm

She is not "lost".

Yes I think so. Look at the 3 pics and though someone donated a stylish dress in The Penh, shes wearing the same shoes.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Someone with her looks, and willing to beg, I.e., embarrass herself in front of others, could do very well in sales or marketing.
She may not realize how much money and skill building she is leaving on the table.

Now she is standing there for what I assume to be a pittance.
It’s a pity.

I hope she actually does get it at some point.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Lost50 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:01 pm Why analyse their conduct & try to make yourself sound hollier than thou.

Pieces of shit like this should not be tolerated. I hope they get busted & locked up then sent home at their own expense to Russia.

Most of us are decent, hard working types so fuck scum like this thinking they deserve a free ride.

Shit sake, they could volunteer & help to give something back instead of hanging out like hookers.
wat's your opinion of monks?

monstra mihi bona!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

yongchi wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:50 pm I hope she actually does get it at some point.
the sales and corporate world certainly entails actively subjugating yourself
they seem to be just 'take it or leave it' begging
modern hunter-gatherers perhaps

i have no sympathy for them, but no antipathy either, it is what it is
though 'boyfriend' put me off even the remotest impulse to help

monstra mihi bona!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

yongchi wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:50 pm Someone with her looks, and willing to beg, I.e., embarrass herself in front of others, could do very well in sales or marketing.
Starting to read this sentence, I was thinking you were going elsewhere. :lol1:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s disingenuous. They portray themselves as poor unfortunates, which is not true.

A Khmer should make a sign to hold up telling it how it really is.

She doesn’t want to work. She wants you to give her money to continue her vacation. She has a husband doing the same thing down the corner.

Passerby then can know the truth, and can decide about letting her continue her 4 months vacation on their expense.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic