How to Help Lone, Lost Western Woman in Phnom Penh ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: How to Help Lone, Lost Western Woman in Phnom Penh ?

Post by truffledog »

explorer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:49 am
truffledog wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:15 am whilst I personally dont like any kind of begpacker we should all be as tolerant as to let everyone live his own lifestlye. There are so many dis-behaviours of foreigners in the KOW, this surely isn't the worst.
So because other people are doing things that are not right, we should tolerate anything people do that is not right. Are you crazy?
not crazy but tolerant..she is not doing any harm to anybody. If you not wish to help, just safely walk by. Are you caring about the "image" of foreigners in KOW? Its disgusting to see barang beg for money. But if ANYBODY wants to help, why should it be not right?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

they want to travel Vietnam as it would be cheaper..
In all probability, there's a high likelihood they would have overstayed their visas.

Then again, I think the authorities have/will? give foreigners some sort of amnesty due to the Wuhan virus so they will probably get away with it.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

truffledog wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:25 pm not crazy but tolerant..she is not doing any harm to anybody. If you not wish to help, just safely walk by. Are you caring about the "image" of foreigners in KOW? Its disgusting to see barang beg for money. But if ANYBODY wants to help, why should it be not right?
From a moral perspective, do you think it is OK for people from more affluent countries to beg from the poor?

From a legal perspective, it is very likely that the Cambodian authorities will lock them up until someone pays for a flight to their home country. If the Cambodian authorities deport people for this, do you think it is right?

I think it is wrong to take money from the poor.

I think it is very foolish to risk being locked up in Cambodia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

explorer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm
truffledog wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:25 pm not crazy but tolerant..she is not doing any harm to anybody. If you not wish to help, just safely walk by. Are you caring about the "image" of foreigners in KOW? Its disgusting to see barang beg for money. But if ANYBODY wants to help, why should it be not right?
From a moral perspective, do you think it is OK for people from more affluent countries to beg from the poor?

From a legal perspective, it is very likely that the Cambodian authorities will lock them up until someone pays for a flight to their home country. If the Cambodian authorities deport people for this, do you think it is right?

Read my posts carefully...i think its disgustung to beg as a barang..but they dont harm anybody doing so. Why do you assume that the money comes from the poor? dont agree on that. If i start listing all the illegal and unmoral things i have seen in Cambodia it may take a very long time. Sure barang begging isnt on the top spot.

If they want to risk their ass begging its their business, not ours. If they get deported..i dont really care.

You will have a hard time in Cambodia with your seemingly high level of morality (which I really appreciate).
work is for people who cant find truffles
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Another thing wrong with those who choose a life of being lazy and begging, is that people learn they are like this.

When somebody else is genuinely in a difficult situation, most people assume they are like the others and don't help them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

explorer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

There is some certain truth in what you are saying in this post and some of your others.
Initially you showed concern for this young lady, but wanting to know some facts about why she was doing what she was, because you was not in the area, but if she was in some difficulty you would be in a position to possibly help, then asking other members to talk to her if they came across her, seeing what the problem was with her, and why she had the need to beg.
It turns out she is a professional in her game and not alone as the tittle suggests, beg-packer was a new thing to me that I didn’t know about, for only reading about it on the forum here, has when I started to live in Cambodia. It seems to have started has a trend for white backpackers from wealthy backgrounds, what was it all about, was it too be a talking point with their affluent friends how many countries and destinations they could travel on the cheap by obtaining begging donations from locals. Let’s take this situation with the subject of the young lady, four years was quoted that she has done this, so it is not a new thing for her, and she must be doing well enough to survive. When I read of this, my initial thought was seeing she had the need because she was one of the stranded tourists due to Covid19, being a little surprised that she is that of a beg-packer. But the thing is she was in the mix of local areas, away from western tourists or expats, so not in a way bothering us in a sense.
For myself I hope that I am never in a position to beg, because I had the need to do so due to an unseen unfortunate circumstance, being that of the only last resort.
In one of your posts you quoted - From a moral perspective, do you think it is OK for people from more affluent countries to beg from the poor?
It’s a fair question that I imagine there are many answers, firstly “affluent countries” we assume that all the countries in the west are full of well off, also the image of what most people think here of a western person, or better off than people here in the case of the issue we are talking about.
We know that is not necessary so, again in more than one way, it could be a simple fact that a person in our home countries will themselves fall on bad times and be overlooked or not be eligible for our social systems, again that opens for another debate. I am far from saying that there are not poor people in this country, there are many whom that are of a wealthier position than you, or that of myself. What of these well to do people, are they taking care of their poor brothers, those being that are of their own kind, or would they be happier to receive a donation from a country of the western world, and with regards I am quite sure it will not be the poorest whom will be giving monies to the travelling beg-packer, no one is using force towards the people to give them money, it when they come it’s up to you and your actions, sometimes I do or my partner may do so, but I will never forget the first visit to the city when I saw a group of these riverside beggars changing there cloths and getting into a car and driving away at the end of the evening, it reminded me of the Fagan gangs in India, that’s kind of what I was thinking when I first read this thread! It would have been 30 years ago I was having a evening meal in a restaurant in Mumbai (formerly Bombay) a couple of westerners came and sat at the table near me, when eating their food the lady started to fuss very loudly until the staff came to her attention, she said the food was no good and made her ill (she got a refund for the price of the meal). They were at the same hotel has myself, when talking to them this was a scam of theirs, they would eat half the meal and complain to get their cost back, saving money for there travels, wrong I do think, also like the stories we read on the forum of tourists not paying the hotel bill and so on. But beg-packers are not stealing from anyone, and is it illegal what they are doing? Its not as they are that of a vagrant or conning even exploiting people.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 pm On a related note, how do members feel about staying with a dedicated begpacker?

Staying out all day and night begging, then sleeping in a bed next to you?
Nope. Another reason I don't stay at hostels.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

It seems to me the title of this thread needs updating.

She is not "Lone", she has a male partner on the next corner. If they stood together I suspect her prospects of sympathy and money would be zero so the whole façade is one of deception.
She is not "lost".
She is not "Western", she is Russian, which is the most easterly country in the world

A better revised title would be, "Watch out for professional Russian female beggar with husband on nearby corner"
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Make bank statement mandatory to obtain visa. 100$ a day. Problem solved. Nothing different for SE Asians who travel to the western countries.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic