How to Help Lone, Lost Western Woman in Phnom Penh ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: How to Help Lone, Lost Western Woman in Phnom Penh ?

Post by General Mackevili »

From a comment on CEO's Facebook page:

'Just saw her near stop tephan and stopped. She's from Russia and speak quiet good English. Her boyfriend is just 2 blocks further and doing the same thing. (4 months in PP already) stay in 3$ guesthouse and as soon as the borders a open, they want to travel Vietnam as it would be cheaper.. She said they're doing this already for the last 4 years and have no intention to work for their money _ it's their lifestyle.... Not really much sympathy for that from my side, but she got the 3 bucks for one night hostel from me...'

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

She said they're doing this already for the last 4 years and have no intention to work for their money _ it's their lifestyle....
Isn't standing on street corners holding a sign saying 'need money for travel' work of sorts? It can be a hostile world for begpacker too.. :whip:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sir Stephen wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm
She said they're doing this already for the last 4 years and have no intention to work for their money _ it's their lifestyle....
Isn't standing on street corners holding a sign saying 'need money for travel' work of sorts? It can be a hostile world for begpacker too.. :whip:
She carried a sign which was written in Khmer :"I travel without money and have no place to go".
She doesn't want a job, just money. Sometimes things are exactly what they seem to be. :shrug:
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

Begpackers are trash. Any money given to them is money that could be supporting those local people who are living in dire poverty instead of supporting people who are privileged enough to travel.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:51 pm
Sir Stephen wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm
She carried a sign which was written in Khmer :"I travel without money and have no place to go".
She doesn't want a job, just money. Sometimes things are exactly what they seem to be. :shrug:
She have delusion. She doesn't want job but has one anyway standing on street corner begging for money. Maybe easy money..I don't know.. but I would think degrading lifestyle. From what she say, they choose to do this right? They are not victims of circumstances then.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

General Mackevili wrote:...have no intention to work for their money _ it's their lifestyle....
A kind Khmer needs to give them a new sign stating exactly that.

Then everyone Khmer and foreigner know exactly where they stand.

And whether or not to support their lifestyle.

On a related note, how do members feel about staying with a dedicated begpacker?

Staying out all day and night begging, then sleeping in a bed next to you?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 pm She said they're doing this already for the last 4 years and have no intention to work for their money _ it's their lifestyle....
Now that somebody has talked to her and found that out, I am with you others. I have no interest in helping her.

It is by talking to people, you find these things out.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

whilst I personally dont like any kind of begpacker we should all be as tolerant as to let everyone live his own lifestlye. There are so many dis-behaviours of foreigners in the KOW, this surely isn't the worst.
work is for people who cant find truffles
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

truffledog wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:15 am whilst I personally dont like any kind of begpacker we should all be as tolerant as to let everyone live his own lifestlye. There are so many dis-behaviours of foreigners in the KOW, this surely isn't the worst.
So because other people are doing things that are not right, we should tolerate anything people do that is not right. Are you crazy?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

What a lot of people like this don't realize, is that they may be locked up in immigration detention until someone pays for a ticket to their home country.

It seems they have got away with it until now because they keep moving around. Sooner or later they will get the attention of the authorities.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic