$1200 Stimulus Check for Americans Applies to Expats

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

$1200 Stimulus Check for Americans Applies to Expats

Post by Robins »

To my surprise, the $1200 stimulus checks the Federal Government is passing out does apply to Americans living overseas. I got mine in the mail yesterday (in Thailand) and it was a nice surprise. If you've been filing tax returns and are not wanted for any felonies you might want to be sure the IRS has your current mailing address.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: $1200 Stimulus Check for Americans Applies to Expats

Post by GMJS-CEO »

And if not filing tax returns just do them all now, I used this site a few years back to catch up https://www.freetaxusa.com/

Your first $100k in wages is not taxed after form 2555, so it’s just an informational return.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I got my Trumpbucks last month. Alas, the Japanese post office has suspended international postal delivery for now. Still, the check looks cool on my office wall.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Some Khmer - American deportees have also received checks to their previous US addresses
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:44 am I got my Trumpbucks last month. Alas, the Japanese post office has suspended international postal delivery for now. Still, the check looks cool on my office wall.
For $1200 you can afford to DHL it to your American bank. It's about $60 last time I Did it, but they do serious 3-4 day service that's fully trackable.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Robins wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:47 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:44 am I got my Trumpbucks last month. Alas, the Japanese post office has suspended international postal delivery for now. Still, the check looks cool on my office wall.
For $1200 you can afford to DHL it to your American bank. It's about $60 last time I Did it, but they do serious 3-4 day service that's fully trackable.
Or wait a bit and spend a dollar on postage. Tough call
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 pm
Naa, the frustration of checking my bank account every day for the next month and being disappointed that it hasn't shown up yet and may have gotten lost is frustration that is worth the $60 to avoid. No criticism, healthy differences of opinion are what make reading these exchanges interesting. With anything that is important like credit and ATM cards which are sent to my US address, I bite the bullet and use DHL or Fedex. My brother on the other end opens my mail and sends me anything important either physically or by scanning it. Cheers.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Robins wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:17 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 pm
Naa, the frustration of checking my bank account every day for the next month and being disappointed that it hasn't shown up yet and may have gotten lost is frustration that is worth the $60 to avoid. No criticism, healthy differences of opinion are what make reading these exchanges interesting. With anything that is important like credit and ATM cards which are sent to my US address, I bite the bullet and use DHL or Fedex. My brother on the other end opens my mail and sends me anything important either physically or by scanning it. Cheers.
There is also a way to digitally deposit checks but I'm not too great with that internet thingy.

(My mom handles my mail stateside.)
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

I don't think that applies to Government "checks" because they're not really checks, they're something called warrants. It looks like a check, you sign it like a check, they put money in your account like a check, but it's called a warrant. Don't ask me why. Think I'll Google the difference between the 2 and learn something new.
I'm one of those CALPERS pension parasites and ran into problems depositing my "warrant" until I got an automatic deposit set up into an American bank.

https://uk.legal.moderated.narkive.com/ ... -different
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Interesting. Will read more. Thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic