$1200 Stimulus Check for Americans Applies to Expats

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: $1200 Stimulus Check for Americans Applies to Expats

Post by newkidontheblock »

Soyoung123 wrote:Some Khmer - American deportees have also received checks to their previous US addresses
Requires someone to send in their tax return for the 2019 tax year to be eligible. Requiring W-2 forms for the 1040/EZ or 1099 (independent contractor) to be filled out. Including forging their signature.

Someone got their money. Hope it was them.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

2019 taxes are not required to be eligible for the stimulus money, 2019 taxes, if complete, can be included in the qualification online at the getmypayment website but 2019's not due this year until July 15 to allow ppl more time. 2018's are likely necessary but in some cases may not disqualify you. Filing is a great idea and here is more reason to file regardless of income or country of residence - its very easy to file anyway if you are well below the overseas taxable threshold for Americans - I know lots of ppl that say things and then repeat them like its written in stone cuz their CPA buddy said so once but its always good to file.

Also, I think you can retro file up to 8 years backwards and yes, I would do that and pick up the money offered esp. since there is talk of a second check now.

I don't see any legitimate way a Khmerican could get this money since they have lost US citizenship in the process of coming here. If they are able to get that money that's an error, Khmericans maintain their social security numbers just because those assigned numbers don't get re assigned and that may have been the window open for this error in payments.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:07 pm
Soyoung123 wrote:Some Khmer - American deportees have also received checks to their previous US addresses
Requires someone to send in their tax return for the 2019 tax year to be eligible. Requiring W-2 forms for the 1040/EZ or 1099 (independent contractor) to be filled out. Including forging their signature.

Someone got their money. Hope it was them.
Completely wrong. Anyone who filed their tax return for 2018, 2019 doesn't matter, receives a check without doing anything.
Still here, in country...
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I don’t need the money, so I didn't apply. Hopefully, it will instead go to where it will really make a difference, such as the development of laser-powered hypersonic mini-nukes.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:11 pm Interesting. Will read more. Thanks!
Notice that they are not drawn on a bank like a check, warrants are just printed by the government agency that issued them. A check will always have the name of the bank used by the person who wrote the check.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic