$3000 deposit + everything else

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: $3000 deposit + everything else

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:32 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:20 am Why would anyone agree to share with a stranger?
What if she was hot and cute?

:popcorn:
'ello darlin', my name is Tracy...

Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:43 am September 10, 2020
Complaints rise over “twin-sharing” and “exorbitant charges” in quarantine hotel

Some foreigners have complained to Khmer Times that they have been asked to be placed in quarantine in a room with another person at the Tian Yi International Hotel in Phnom Penh, designated as a centre by the Health Ministry, owing to a shortage of rooms. They also said they are being charged exorbitant prices for food, drinks and other necessities.

“After we were allowed out of the airport we had to board a specially-designated bus to the hotel. Upon arrival a hotel staff boarded the bus and told us that if we twin-share a room, whether with a family member or a stranger, the cost is $60 per head,” one of them said. “The hotel will try as hard as possible to push you to share rooms by saying there are not enough rooms and if you do not do so, you will be placed at another ministry-designated hotel which does not have favourable ratings by travellers posting their experience on websites.”

In an interview at the hotel, Mile Wang, Tian Yi’s executive general manager yesterday denied that foreigners were encouraged to share rooms with strangers but said sometimes a couple or a mother and child wanted to be quarantine together in a room.

He claimed that the Health Ministry allowed this to be done.

“Only family members can be together because people refuse to share rooms with strangers,” he said. “My hotel has never had any strangers sharing rooms. There are police, authorities and health officials on duty at the hotel to make sure health guidelines are followed.”

Wang said it costs $90 per room for single occupancy, including meals per person so family members who stay in a room will have to fork out $120, or $60 each comprising $30 each for the room and $30 each for the meals.

“My hotel does not charge more than the limit set by the Ministry of Health. $60 per room and $30 for three meals per day,” he said.

“The guests can also order food at the hotel, as we have put the menu and the price in a special group chat.”

Responding to complaints by foreigners who told Khmer Times the hotel was charging $1.50 for a 350ml bottle of mineral water, Wang said this was because the water was of superior quality.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50762431/t ... uarantine/
I hope this shitty behavior by the hotel is remembered when COVID is over. Sure gouge them now when they are vulnerable deserves a boycott and lots of negative publicity when they are not. Short term thinking at its worst.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

There is a very interesting account on the FB group Expats in Cambodia, authored by Yl Ru. He was a Chinese national stuck in the UK, unable to travel back to China but at risk of overstaying in the UK. So he came to Cambodia! The Cambodian Embassy in London refused him a visa but he managed to get here. Some amusing comments about the Chinese quarantine hotel in PP.
Sorry, no link. Join the group!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

armchairlawyer wrote:There is a very interesting account on the FB group Expats in Cambodia, authored by Yl Ru. He was a Chinese national stuck in the UK, unable to travel back to China but at risk of overstaying in the UK. So he came to Cambodia! The Cambodian Embassy in London refused him a visa but he managed to get here. Some amusing comments about the Chinese quarantine hotel in PP.
I believe either his or another Chinese person’s experience was posted on to a similar topic.

Specifically about the Tian Yi, which seems to be the primary quarantine hotel.

Bottom line. It was poor in every possible way, even by Chinese standards. All the horror stories were true.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Doctors weigh in on twin-sharing quarantine

The Tian Yi International Hotel which has been designated as a quarantine centre by the Health Ministry. KT/Pann Rachana

Doctors have weighed in on a recent statement by the Health Ministry that foreigners flying into Cambodia can twin share with a family member during quarantine in a hotel room if they request to do so.

The doctors say logic dictates that the family members have been together all the while even before boarding the flight and would already be infected if they had been exposed to the virus.

However they agree that visitors should not be asked to share a room with strangers as was exposed recently by Khmer Times.

A doctor in Phnom Penh, who asked not to be named, told Khmer Times yesterday that when travelling to Cambodia, visitors have to undergo a 24-hour quarantine to wait for the COVID-19 test results. If a passenger tests positive for the virus, other passengers will continue to be quarantined. But if the test results are negative they are allowed to self-quarantine.

He added that family members can stay in quarantine in the same room if they want to stay together and they are from the same country. However, he said if the family members are from different countries, they cannot be quarantined together, even if they are a couple, or mother and child.

“For example, if the husband came from the United States and the wife came from France, and they flew to South Korea to travel to Cambodia together, they cannot stay in the same quarantine room because they came from different destinations,” he said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50763853/d ... uarantine/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Not sure if this is the right thread to post the questions.

I need to get the 2nd test soon. When do the two testing facilities open in PP? I think i was 9 AM for testing?

Perhaps more important: Do I get a receipt for the 100 USD cash? I think I will need for the bank to show that I have done the test.

Can I withdraw the money the same day from the bank?

Canadia only allows withdrawals at the main branch.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:20 pm
armchairlawyer wrote:There is a very interesting account on the FB group Expats in Cambodia, authored by Yl Ru. He was a Chinese national stuck in the UK, unable to travel back to China but at risk of overstaying in the UK. So he came to Cambodia! The Cambodian Embassy in London refused him a visa but he managed to get here. Some amusing comments about the Chinese quarantine hotel in PP.
I believe either his or another Chinese person’s experience was posted on to a similar topic.

Specifically about the Tian Yi, which seems to be the primary quarantine hotel.

Bottom line. It was poor in every possible way, even by Chinese standards. All the horror stories were true.
There is a very interesting account on the FB group Expats in Cambodia, authored by Yl Ru. He was a Chinese national stuck in the UK, unable to travel back to China but at risk of overstaying in the UK. So he came to Cambodia! The Cambodian Embassy in London refused him a visa but he managed to get here. Some amusing comments about the Chinese quarantine hotel in PP.
topic40360-30.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:51 pm Not sure if this is the right thread to post the questions.

I need to get the 2nd test soon. When do the two testing facilities open in PP? I think i was 9 AM for testing?

Perhaps more important: Do I get a receipt for the 100 USD cash? I think I will need for the bank to show that I have done the test.

Can I withdraw the money the same day from the bank?

Canadia only allows withdrawals at the main branch.
Did the bank tell you they needed the second test before paying out? Many people have have got their money back without a 2nd test. If they want to see a second test they will not pay out same day as the results cannot be known by then.

He is the routine for a second test at the KSF hospital which may help you get in and out unscathed.

the-road/second-covid-for-new-arrivals-t39457.html
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Thanks Doc!

I was going to search for your post as i remembered it well. So I will get a receipt.

The Canadia bank asked for that receipt and they wont pay out before day 13 (?) or 14. Older post had stated something else. They also claimed that only the main branch on Monivong would pay out.

When I pointed out that I could do my 2nd test in Siem Reap they had a major problem. After some emailing they now seem to be willing to pay out in Siem Reap but would charge a 'service fee' - the amount yet to be determined. I better avoid that.

Testing: I was contemplating going to that health center south of the city as I am fearing that a whole mob will decent on the hospital following the holiday. I saw one post somewhere online but nothing recent.

Perhaps a suggesting for the mods: Would it be a good idea to have a locked thread for posts like the one on the hospital so that they dont fade away? Factual info is critical and going through pages and pages of opinion posts is no fun even when you know that somewhere there is that precious info.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 am Thanks Doc!

I was going to search for your post as i remembered it well. So I will get a receipt.

The Canadia bank asked for that receipt and they wont pay out before day 13 (?) or 14. Older post had stated something else. They also claimed that only the main branch on Monivong would pay out.

When I pointed out that I could do my 2nd test in Siem Reap they had a major problem. After some emailing they now seem to be willing to pay out in Siem Reap but would charge a 'service fee' - the amount yet to be determined. I better avoid that.

Testing: I was contemplating going to that health center south of the city as I am fearing that a whole mob will decent on the hospital following the holiday. I saw one post somewhere online but nothing recent.

Perhaps a suggesting for the mods: Would it be a good idea to have a locked thread for posts like the one on the hospital so that they don't fade away? Factual info is critical and going through pages and pages of opinion posts is no fun even when you know that somewhere there is that precious info.
I don't recall anything on the paperwork received at the KSF Hospital testing station which informed me where to collect the certificate.

They charge you for it, but as I got my money back without the certificate (albeit from CAB) I never had to find out how to get it. I assume you just go back to the testing station and show your receipt and the will issue you one (or maybe arrest you and throw you into quarantine if you tested positive).

I know of people that got paid out by CAB without even taking the second test. I think the advice for all newcomers should be to make their deposit with CAB as they seem easier to deal with.

Keep us posted how you get on, it might be worth a separate thread about who had problems and with what bank.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic