Problem with landlord tampering with electrical meter

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Problem with landlord tampering with electrical meter

Post by rexwell »

This month as I'm on 50% pay, I decide to go without the aircon. The meter outside in the hallway at the start of the month was 6412. At the end of the month the meter read 6478. The landlord said the reading was too low and that the meter must be broken, and he will get it replaced. I had taken several pictures of the meters reading during the month. Yesterday the photo of the meter showed 6478, this morning I had a look and it was on 6618, a jump of 140 units in one night. Obviously the meter had been tampered with. What recourse do I have at this stage?
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Problem with landlord tampering with electrical meter

Post by Tarndog »

rexwell wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:09 pm This month as I'm on 50% pay, I decide to go without the aircon. The meter outside in the hallway at the start of the month was 6412. At the end of the month the meter read 6478. The landlord said the reading was too low and that the meter must be broken, and he will get it replaced. I had taken several pictures of the meters reading during the month. Yesterday the photo of the meter showed 6478, this morning I had a look and it was on 6618, a jump of 140 units in one night. Obviously the meter had been tampered with. What recourse do I have at this stage?
66 kWh seems about right for a month without aircon. Taking photos and recording the meter is wise practice here, I think. Be strong, and in the meantime decide how much you want to live there when things get testy. Might be a good idea to start scoping for a new place.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

I have only been in the house for about 3 months, and I have a deposit of $760 riding on this. So I don't want to walk out on that, but I also don't want to get screwed , even for $40. The landlady is away until later today, and it is her fixer (maybe a nephew) that has done this; she doesn't know about it yet. She seems intelligent and honest enough, but the young man in charge of replacing light bulbs etc is just a dope.
If I don't have any luck with the landlady, I'll have to go and have a talk to the police, but I'm not sure if the police would take an interest in something like this. Anyone had any similar experiences?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

No point in reporting to the police, they won't get involved. First speak to your landlord about it, if you do need to escalate it further then raise it with the EDC, not the police.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

rexwell wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:09 pm This month as I'm on 50% pay, I decide to go without the aircon. The meter outside in the hallway at the start of the month was 6412. At the end of the month the meter read 6478. The landlord said the reading was too low and that the meter must be broken, and he will get it replaced. I had taken several pictures of the meters reading during the month. Yesterday the photo of the meter showed 6478, this morning I had a look and it was on 6618, a jump of 140 units in one night. Obviously the meter had been tampered with. What recourse do I have at this stage?
So, yesterday was the end of the month and you had that conversation then? This doesn't read right.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

My rental month runs from the 11th of the month to the 11th of the following month. I didnt ask about an invoice until the 13th and was told I'd receive it the next day but they gave to me later that day. When i saw the made up numbers I showed the guy and he said problem with meter or computer as they call it.

I also noticed on my photos that the lead edc antitamper seal had been cut off.
A crime of tampering of electrical supply in most
Western countries. I don't know about here but maybe edc would be interested.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rexwell wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:42 pm My rental month runs from the 11th of the month to the 11th of the following month. I didnt ask about an invoice until the 13th and was told I'd receive it the next day but they gave to me later that day. When i saw the made up numbers I showed the guy and he said problem with meter or computer as they call it.

I also noticed on my photos that the lead edc antitamper seal had been cut off.
A crime of tampering of electrical supply in most
Western countries. I don't know about here but maybe edc would be interested.
EDC would be the obvious place, but they might blame you! Dozy boy plays dumb and tells them you have money problems, "maybe Barang do it"

We don't want to read about you with a picture of you looking shell-shocked standing outside a police station holding a screwdriver!

Stranger things could happen.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Notify the EDC, that your landlord had the seal removed, and tampered with the meter.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

All's well that ends well! I paid a kings ransom of $19.80 for a month's electricity, and I told the guy I knew about the snipped security cables hehe. A new tamper proof meter was requested similar to my neighbours. A new invoice was promptly issued for the 66 Kw/hr units @ .30 + rent.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

explorer wrote:Notify the EDC, that your landlord had the seal removed, and tampered with the meter.
It's not an EDC meter but was installed by the landlord for each room/apartment.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic