Trading the Stock Market From Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Trading the Stock Market From Cambodia

Post by samrong01 »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:00 pm
explorer wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:40 pm
Austman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:08 pm I don't know about what happens in the states but in my country the longer you hold a stock before you sell it the more tax advantages you get "to a point"
In Australia, if you buy and sell shares within a year, you pay capital gains tax on the entire amount. If you hold them for longer than a year, you only pay half as much capital gains tax.
Same in US. 30% vs 15% I think.
Not so. As a foreign investor in the USA there is no capital gains tax but a Cambodian resident pays 30% withholding tax on dividends. The withholding tax varies by country of residence - 30% is the maximum rate.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

yongchi wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:06 pm Over the years, I have tried myself at momentum trading, buy-and-hold, and pure gambling.
Momentum trading and short term gambling with shares made me nervous.
I followed the ups and downs way too closely for my taste.

They may work for someone else but they don’t match my personality, so I have returned to buy-and hold.

So far better for my wallet and better for my health as well.

I rarely look at what the markets do and feel a lot better that way.

At the moment I am concerned and wondering how to position myself?

But I concern myself with economic outlooks rather than the roller coaster.
I find these times very difficult too. I am a 'buy and hold' type, but with the Corona coming I sold most of my stock at the end of February and bought some gold. I bought most of my stocks back at the end of March, same stocks, just more because of the price drop. After the crazy recovery since I sold about 50% of them, and are now left with a relatively large cash position waiting for the correction I expected much earlier to buy more stocks. I'm scared if i buy stocks now I will be looking at losses for a year or two, so I sit and wait now. Even if I count in future inflation I simply can't believe the current prices for stocks reflect their real value, but the market proved me wrong so far.

The problem is there's not so many options since I'm living in Cambodia and more or less unable to leave. Buy land? Not an option. Build a house, same. So preparing the shores for storms inevitable coming is a bit difficult now.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Not so. As a foreign investor in the USA there is no capital gains tax but a Cambodian resident pays 30% withholding tax on dividends. The withholding tax varies by country of residence - 30% is the maximum rate.
@samrong01
For holding stocks >1 year that has exactly been my experience.
Is there a short-term cap gains tax for foreign investors in the U.S?
Last edited by yongchi on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Actually I may be wrong. It used to be there was no capital gains tax for foreign investors but I noticed a mysterious item "Sales Tax" on my last brokerage statement with no explanation. Could that be a capital gains tax? I am pretty sure the dividend tax of 30% is still correct.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:30 pm
yongchi wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:06 pm Over the years, I have tried myself at momentum trading, buy-and-hold, and pure gambling.
Momentum trading and short term gambling with shares made me nervous.
I followed the ups and downs way too closely for my taste.

They may work for someone else but they don’t match my personality, so I have returned to buy-and hold.

So far better for my wallet and better for my health as well.

I rarely look at what the markets do and feel a lot better that way.

At the moment I am concerned and wondering how to position myself?

But I concern myself with economic outlooks rather than the roller coaster.
I find these times very difficult too. I am a 'buy and hold' type, but with the Corona coming I sold most of my stock at the end of February and bought some gold. I bought most of my stocks back at the end of March, same stocks, just more because of the price drop. After the crazy recovery since I sold about 50% of them, and are now left with a relatively large cash position waiting for the correction I expected much earlier to buy more stocks. I'm scared if i buy stocks now I will be looking at losses for a year or two, so I sit and wait now. Even if I count in future inflation I simply can't believe the current prices for stocks reflect their real value, but the market proved me wrong so far.

The problem is there's not so many options since I'm living in Cambodia and more or less unable to leave. Buy land? Not an option. Build a house, same. So preparing the shores for storms inevitable coming is a bit difficult now.
Yep, that’s a tough one.
The question is how bad you expect the future to be and for how long?
What has endured over time?
Few companies.
Currency certainly not.
Gold, land.. but then in some countries they made private gold ownership illegal for periods of time.

Perhaps other physical commodities you intend to use and can store.

I am also toying with a basket of currencies. Not sure about that yet though.

I think a gold position is sensible. How large as a percentage I am not sure.
Last edited by yongchi on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

If you are considering gold as an investment then consider gold mining companies as an alternative. This was advice given to me many years ago by a broker. The advantages are better liquidity, better security, and additional leverage. Physical gold can be stolen, confiscated, and you may have to pay a retail premium over the market price. I have noticed the gold price in Cambodia is higher than in Thailand. Also if you have a 5kg gold bar you have to sell the whole thing if you need a little money.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

samrong01 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:01 pm If you are considering gold as an investment then consider gold mining companies as an alternative. This was advice given to me many years ago by a broker. The advantages are better liquidity, better security, and additional leverage. Physical gold can be stolen, confiscated, and you may have to pay a retail premium over the market price. I have noticed the gold price in Cambodia is higher than in Thailand. Also if you have a 5kg gold bar you have to sell the whole thing if you need a little money.
I think that advice several years ago was probably sound but now with the more recent advent of ETFs, there are many more options for gold buying, safety and liquidity. Please note also there can be other risks with individual companies such as poor management as well as country sovereignty, tax and staff/union issues etc

I can only speak for the ETFs available in Australia but I imagine most countries have something similar. On the ASX: 1. 'GOLD' etf backed by physical gold bullion stored in the UK..very liquid, not so volatile and big AUM (Assets under management) 2. 'GDX' etf basket of gold mining companies around the world..liquid but I've found it more volatile than GOLD 3. 'PMGOLD' etf physical gold stored at the Perth mint..sometimes not so liquid, less volatile but guaranteed by the WA state government. NB there can be currency issues with these as they are not hedged in $A. For a hedged ETF there is 'QAU' and 'MNRS'

This gives a run down in the ASX context: https://blog.stockspot.com.au/best-gold-etfs/
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In Australia:

Dividends are income, and taxed at the same rate as other income.

If Dividends are franked, that means they have paid tax on them already. Depending on how much your total income is, you may get money back when you do your tax return.

When you buy and sell shares, you either make money or lose money. This is called capital gains or capital losses. If you buy and sell shares in less than a year, and have capital gains, you pay the same tax rate as other income. If you hold them for more than a year before selling them, you only pay half as much tax.

The same applies for all other capital gains. For example, if you buy an investment property. Or if you buy a truck.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In the last 2 trading days, there was a significant price drop with many Australian shares.

It will probably not be the last.

My suggestion is, don't buy and hold shares now.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

A few noted I want to bring to your attention.

1. Warren Buffet is fucked big time when he sold his airline stocks at/near the bottom. Was he right?

2. I would not stay up all night trading the during the NYSE opening hours. Not enjoyable! Set your buy/sell orders after you have done your dd research.

3. AMZN might be hard to trade against. Probably one of the best stocks on the planet. Help bring CMG and TSLA back down to $450 lol. CMG sells shit food - literally looks like shit! - and people eat it like crazy. TSLA is involved in the massive China fraud lol.

4. I will let you all know what to look out for the next big market moves. Lets make money by being smart!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic