Trading the Stock Market From Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Trading the Stock Market From Cambodia

Post by samrong01 »

I was a little disturbed by the post by newkidontheblock as I feel it contains rather misleading information for anyone contemplating the US Stock market.

Firstly the market caters for a whole range of risk levels from pure gambling to long term investment. Regardless of whether you want to gamble or invest or somewhere in between, its all about predicting the future. Professionals have sophisticated tools to help them but can still be wrong. Each individual has to decide the level of risk he is comfortable with.

Its true that more information can be available from US and western stock markets however important to remember that everybody else has access to the same information.

Day trading, as described, can only be done in Cambodia if you are willing to stay up all night. The NYSE opens at 8:30pm in Cambodia and continues for the next 8 hours. It is not at all true that trades are executed after 30 minutes and that stock quotes are delayed 30 minutes. If you subscribe to a proper service trades are instant and stock quotations are supplied in real time. Stock quotes are only delayed if you are looking at a free service like Yahoo Finance.

I agree that long term the stock market provides the best returns - otherwise banks and superannuation funds would not invest in them. Do not forget however that this does not necessarily apply to individual stocks.

It is arguable whether or not now is a good time to invest. Certainly an investment in the S&P 500 in March would have given a 40%+ return by now. However with massive worldwide economic destruction, unemployment, bankruptcies etc., thanks to the coronavirus hysteria, some people - including Warren Buffet - feel that a further crash is coming. In the end it is up to each individual to decide his own view of the market.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Good to see constructive conversations on here without some fuckwit trying to prove how smart they are by putting others down. Yeah stock market who knows ? In out up down I reckon it's still more stable than my ex wife and that was a long term investment that went bad! Hahaha better looking than warren buffet though only just. Austman
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Austman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:22 pm Good to see constructive conversations on here without some fuckwit trying to prove how smart they are by putting others down. Yeah stock market who knows ? In out up down I reckon it's still more stable than my ex wife and that was a long term investment that went bad! Hahaha better looking than warren buffet though only just. Austman
I agree, a good thread, and no conspiracy theorists - yet!
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Yeah ha ha ha ha I forgot about that. Conspiracy theorist ha bah humbug
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:29 am All trades are generally delayed 30 minutes after the order, and info is delayed 30 minutes. In other words, the stock price seen isn’t the current price, and the stock won’t be bought at the price seen. Unless you are a big time trader or investor or use buy and sell orders, shorts, or other kinds of options, it’s a losing strategy (in my opinion).
With the broker I trade with on the Australian stock exchange, when you buy or sell shares, the price shown is not delayed, other than the seconds it takes for the computer to be updated.

I use buy and sell orders, that is, I say how many shares I want to buy or sell, and at what price.

If the price matches, the trade goes through within seconds. After you put in the order, you click on holdings, and the shares have often been bought before the page loads.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:29 am Some members on CEO try to time the market. Buy on small changes on a particular stock during the day.

Instead, stocks should be bought and held for at least 3 months (or years) based on the research and long term prospects.
There are different approaches that can be used. You can't say one is right and the other is wrong. It is up to the individual how they want to trade.

People can make money with both methods. Or lose money with both methods.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Austman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:08 pm I don't know about what happens in the states but in my country the longer you hold a stock before you sell it the more tax advantages you get "to a point"
In Australia, if you buy and sell shares within a year, you pay capital gains tax on the entire amount. If you hold them for longer than a year, you only pay half as much capital gains tax.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

explorer wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:40 pm
Austman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:08 pm I don't know about what happens in the states but in my country the longer you hold a stock before you sell it the more tax advantages you get "to a point"
In Australia, if you buy and sell shares within a year, you pay capital gains tax on the entire amount. If you hold them for longer than a year, you only pay half as much capital gains tax.
Same in US. 30% vs 15% I think.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Over the years, I have tried myself at momentum trading, buy-and-hold, and pure gambling.
Momentum trading and short term gambling with shares made me nervous.
I followed the ups and downs way too closely for my taste.

They may work for someone else but they don’t match my personality, so I have returned to buy-and hold.

So far better for my wallet and better for my health as well.

I rarely look at what the markets do and feel a lot better that way.

At the moment I am concerned and wondering how to position myself?

But I concern myself with economic outlooks rather than the roller coaster.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:00 pm
explorer wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:40 pm In Australia, if you buy and sell shares within a year, you pay capital gains tax on the entire amount. If you hold them for longer than a year, you only pay half as much capital gains tax.
Same in US. 30% vs 15% I think.
In Australia, it depends on what tax rate you are paying, which depends on your total income for the financial year.

If you sell in less than a year, you pay the same tax rate as other income. If more than a year, half.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic