Hotel room safes are not very safe

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Hotel room safes are not very safe

Post by Sailorman »

When traveling, I carry a small metal portable pistol safe with a analog lock. Its made to hold a pistol in your home (America) so you have easy access and your children do not. It has a steel cable. I put this into the room safe in a hotel along with a small portable car alarm attachéd to the steel cable. The alarm is about 120db and very loud. Even if the room doesn't have a safe you can attach it to substantial immovable things in the room and activate the alarm.

"Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

paranoid much??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We're all aware those electronic hotel safes have a master key that goes to a hidden slot behind a piece of pull-off facing, right?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Yes StroppyChops, that seems like common knowledge. Lol.

Sarcasm aside, good to know. I just figured the master code (digital) could be Google' d
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Your sarcky pills seem to be working well :) - I meant a physical key. The four-zeoes or override code doesn't seem as common these days. Security had to drill out a room safe for us on the Gold Coast as the safe had failed, the model didn't have a digital override, and they couldn't find the master key.

Had a good chat with the guys who did the work, they showed me the hidden keyhole, claimed almost all small- to mid-sized safes with digital mechanisms have them. Ours certainly does.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

As someone else said, those safes are often installed so shabbily that in most cases I have seen the criminals simply take the entire safe from the room.

Since I was robbed I have considered only putting lots of counterfeit US dollars in the hotel safes or safety boxes. I think the thieves would more likely be caught trying to spend the fake dollars that stealing or breaking into the safe.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Soi Dog wrote:As someone else said, those safes are often installed so shabbily that in most cases I have seen the criminals simply take the entire safe from the room.

Since I was robbed I have considered only putting lots of counterfeit US dollars in the hotel safes or safety boxes. I think the thieves would more likely be caught trying to spend the fake dollars that stealing or breaking into the safe.
Once robbed, the first thing you thought of was "putting lots of counterfeit US dollars in the hotel safes.."?? Really?
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i got a 70 kg safe for $225. key plus combo with timer lockout for wrong code and over ride master code. got to have the key in any case.
took 3 guys to grunt it in- it is behind 4 layer of locks with the usual razor wire perimeter.

wouldn't leave anything of real value there more than 48 hrs unattended.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:As someone else said, those safes are often installed so shabbily that in most cases I have seen the criminals simply take the entire safe from the room.

Once robbed, the first thing you thought of was "putting lots of counterfeit US dollars in the hotel safes.."?? Really?
No. Where did I say that the first thing I thought about? The first thing I thought about was how to catch the thief. That incident was 7 years ago. If I can not catch the thief or track him down, there are other ways to help get him/her caught. Having them arrested when they try to spend fake dollars seems a nice revenge.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

not exactly easy to find fake $100 bills unless you know people
but i do have a few will sell you for $120 each

plus crazy/waste of time idea
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic