Indian Elephants inherit Land

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Indian Elephants inherit Land

Post by Doc67 »

Indian man upsets wife by bequeathing land to two elephants

And you thought Cambodians were a bit bonkers...

An Indian man has opted to bequeath most of his land to two elephants that he says saved his life from intruders, a decision which has upset his wife and children.

Akhtar Imam, from a village in the eastern state of Bihar, said he changed his will to bequeath 2.5 hectares (6.2 acres) to gentle giants Moti (Pearl) and Rani (Queen).
“I simply don’t want hardship for my Moti and Rani, who are no less my family,” Imam, 50, told AFP as his bathed the pachyderms.
“I don’t want my elephants to face the fate of orphaned or abandoned captive elephants who die on the streets or in deserted fields due to lack of proper care.”

Imam, who runs a wildlife trust, raised Moti, aged 20, and Rani, aged 15, from when they were born to another domesticated elephant that has since died.
Each elephant has two staff looking after them day and night, and roam his property freely.
He said his love for the siblings grew even more when they saved him from “gun-carrying criminals” who he said tried to kill him last year while he slept.

“When I opened my door to see why the elephants were trumpeting, I saw they were chasing criminals nearby,” he said. “I am alive due to my elephants who had worked like bodyguards to me.”
Imam said he would also bequeath a smaller amount of land and his house to his wife and children, but they weren’t entirely happy.

Read more

“They don’t understand that the elephants are not a showpiece for me … My relationship with elephants is lifelong. We love each other.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -elephants