Sweden withdraws bilateral assistance to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Sweden withdraws bilateral assistance to Cambodia

Post by Brody »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:00 pm Only good can come of aid being cut to Cambodia, they'll mature as a nation.
Absolutely.

Another aspect that cries for deeper investigative reporting is the untold hundred of millions of dollars that are being made, virtually tax free, from the huge sand dredging operations that sell to Singapore.

There was a news piece on this a few years ago which basically showed Singapore accounting for hundreds of millions in sand purchases from Cambodia, whilst Cambodia showed a couple million in tax revenue from it. Singapore had no answer for the discrepancy whilst the Cambodian answer was the typical trope of "You don't understand Cambodia's tax structure."

I'm sure they get a big laugh as they mix their Cognac and Coke and agree to let the rest of the world fund Cambodia's 'feel-good' 'bleeding heart' needs whilst they surreptitiously rake in filthy amounts of dough from sand dredging for Singapore and pimping out Cambodia's natural resources to China.

'Khmer love Khmer'......makes me wonder sometimes.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:00 pm
Robins wrote:"- Sweden has been patient. But it is difficult to work broadly with aid in a country where interest is so weak for democracy and human rights, says Deputy Minister Peter Eriksson."

It's a weird irony that while that statement has some truth to it, I still feel freer from government interference in my life in Cambodia or Thailand than I would anywhere in Sweeden or the EU.
Please... Have you ever dealt with bureaucracy here? Living day to day as a foreigner here can appear superficially easy (because it is), but don't mistake the ease of driving without a helmet for political freedom. Try going to Thailand and saying anything bad about the king...
Brody wrote:
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:22 pm I wonder who will follow suit?
Hopefully, everyone.

Cambodia's geopolitical ideology seems to be to hoard with one hand and beg with the other.

This tired old facade of Cambodia perpetually being on its collective knees needs to crumble.

Western states, ngo's and donors need to be educated on the current state of play here.

Cambodia needs to put on its big boy pants and start taking care of its own in a bigger way.

I'd love to see the collective looks on the upper echelon's faces if this came to pass.

There's an obscene amount of wealth in this country, in certain large circles.
This. When the police chief and others in government can buy Cypriot citizenship and senior civil servants have private golf courses and Patek Phillips, then I'm sure they can afford to help bankroll their own country with a few tax dollars from Rolls Royce crew. Good for Sweden, I'm so tired of seeing western taxpayers' money getting wasted on places like Cambodia. They're so clueless to the easy workarounds and how they get played for fools year after year. I can't wait for EBA to be cut off already. Only good can come of aid being cut to Cambodia, they'll mature as a nation.
I just don't talk about the new King with anyone, and with regard to freedom of speech it's not much different than going home and talking about killing the President (not that I would want to do that NSA.(smile)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think basic criticism, name calling and drawing political cartoons are pretty different from outright death threats. You can get away with three of the above in the US. Borderline none in many countries in the region.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

^^

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

A big fat nothing will happen. The elites have perfect the art of asking for the handout. The newest twist - reaping the benefit of the power struggle of the US vs. China by accepting friendship from both sides. And threatening to accept even more friendship from the other side unless more benefit is given.

Ironman has been pretty hands off business and foreigners, as many on CEO can attest to. He doesn’t care about what a bunch of barang post on CEO. Because most Khmer don’t do CEO. But try posting in Khmer to one of the popular Facebook groups and see how fast the police come to put you in prison for ‘teaching students on-line’ or some similar charge.

He’s following the model of mainland China. Deliver growth and prosperity (relative to Khmer Rouge times), and the people will accept any level of control.

I’m sure Ironman smiles every time a useful idiot calls the US a fascist state, a police state, racist, the orange buffoon, etc. A house divided isn’t a threat. Instead, it’s an opportunity to demand (and get) even more aid. Possibly enough so that the entire government can be paid for, and all the taxes collected can go... somewhere.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Robins wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:28 pm "- Sweden has been patient. But it is difficult to work broadly with aid in a country where interest is so weak for democracy and human rights, says Deputy Minister Peter Eriksson."

It's a weird irony that while that statement has some truth to it, I still feel freer from government interference in my life in Cambodia or Thailand than I would anywhere in Sweeden or the EU.
the government is only interested in themselves. if you dont threaten their power or their egos they are not interested in you. goes to show how a country can do ok with no help from its government. on the other hand, you got uneducated kids with no health care or knowledge and not even proper diets and clean water to drink. not so much fun for them
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:20 am The newest twist - reaping the benefit of the power struggle of the US vs. China by accepting friendship from both sides. And threatening to accept even more friendship from the other side unless more benefit is given.

A house divided isn’t a threat. Instead, it’s an opportunity to demand (and get) even more aid.
Now i'm picturing a HitlerJugend boy whose parents are divorcing, planning on more pocket money to buy firecrackers so he can stuff them in the next cat's arse.
TaxKHpro
Tourist
United States of America

Post by TaxKHpro »

Kayve wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:47 am Sweden was really successful in supporting the General Department of Taxation of Cambodia though.
What exactly do you mean?
AseanTax.com- we save you time (90%) to be exact.

We’re online tax calculation software.

Print all your completed monthly tax declaration forms in Khmer.

https://nbokh.com/how-it-works
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Who cares Sweden although the people and the country are extremely beautiful and hold a very high standing of morals and are greatly respected world wide .... 10 million people GDP 500 billion us$ Even busted old Australia GDP is 1.434 trillion $ 2018 Japan 4.9 trillion .. GDP may not be relevant but but its a small country and who really cares. Hey fucket rich hard
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic