American's Visa Options for Visiting Cambodia in 2020?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

American's Visa Options for Visiting Cambodia in 2020?

Post by Rtrac »

Ok, I would normally rely on my own research but having some personal interactions with the leadership of the Cambodian government, I have some doubts ...

It seems like every couple of days information is changed. Case in point is the Cambodian Embassy in Washington DC website :

It now lists these types of Visa as possible:
- Business Visa (Single-entry Visa)
- Official Visa
- Diplomatic Visa
- K-Visa (for Native Cambodian)
- Courtesy Visa (Single-Entry Visa)

Of course there is at this point no visa on arrival, E visa, or tourist visa...

My ignorance, so please forgive but I am looking to see if I have to wait for the tourist route to open or would it be worth it to try for any other type of visa (applying from within the USA by mailing application to the Cambodian Embassy in Washington DC)?
Is a business visa only for those whom have a job agreement already in place?
Is a official visa for Foreign Government Officials to engage solely in official duties or activities on behalf of their national government?
What on Earth is a Courtesy Visa? Is it someone who has been invited by the Cambodian government for official duties?

An extra credit, when would you speculate that Cambodia will allow for a Tourist Visa ? I am hearing multiple of billions of dollars is being lost due to lack of tourism in Cambodia. Is there pressure on the government to bow to these economic concerns for their populace?

Thank you for any information or opinions you can provide.

Sincerely,
Rtrac
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American's Visa Options for Visiting Cambodia in 2020?

Post by Rtrac »

BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Rtrac wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:01 am Ok, I would normally rely on my own research but having some personal interactions with the leadership of the Cambodian government, I have some doubts ...

It seems like every couple of days information is changed. Case in point is the Cambodian Embassy in Washington DC website :

- Official Visa
- Diplomatic Visa

My ignorance, so please forgive but I am looking to see if I have to wait for the tourist route to open or would it be worth it to try for any other type of visa (applying from within the USA by mailing application to the Cambodian Embassy in Washington DC)?
Is a business visa only for those whom have a job agreement already in place?
Is a official visa for Foreign Government Officials to engage solely in official duties or activities on behalf of their national government?
What on Earth is a Courtesy Visa? Is it someone who has been invited by the Cambodian government for official duties?

An extra credit, when would you speculate that Cambodia will allow for a Tourist Visa ? I am hearing multiple of billions of dollars is being lost due to lack of tourism in Cambodia. Is there pressure on the government to bow to these economic concerns for their populace?

Thank you for any information or opinions you can provide.

Sincerely,
Rtrac
Do you know anyone currently in Cambodia? If so, ask them to mock up an Employment Offer. Google can be your friend. copy and paste as well. But if you have friend working somewhere just have them make up a letter and make sure it has his contact info but its possible the embassy in DC wouldn't even check it. You know how many times people photoshop college degrees, tefl certificates?
I do think this is a different scenario but just sharing.
I am getting a business visa from a school. Yes, schools are closed but still going that route.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'd imagine that the same agencies in Phnom Penh that are being used to get extensions of stay could also help with any documents required to apply for a business visa at an embassy. Might be a good idea to contact them?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Rtrac wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:01 am Ok, I would normally rely on my own research but having some personal interactions with the leadership of the Cambodian government, I have some doubts ...

- Official Visa
- Diplomatic Visa

None of those visa mentioned are meant to be used by you, or other 'normal visitors' to Cambodia, so I guess you're out of luck for now. In your position the visa needed would be either a tourist visa or an ordinary visa, and those aren't listed as available yet.

There's a slight possibility the competent authorities were confused themselves and mixed up the 'business visa' with the 'ordinary visa' but that seems unlikely to me.

<edit>
I checked the website of the embassy and these is no mix up, the 'business visa' they put up as available is B-class visa, for marriage an E-class visa is the way to go and that one's not listed.
</edit>
Last edited by Kammekor on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Rtrac -

Apply for the Business Visa. Marriage to a Khmer citizen is covered. This is straight from the Cambodian embassy in Washington, DC. Just be sure to submit marriage documents along with your visa application and passport, self addressed return envelope.

But the visa will need to be used within 3 months of issue.

Don’t forget to show proof of 50,000 dollar health insurance, and a negative test result 72 hrs prior to departure.

Expect another test on arrival and then 24-48 hrs at a quarantine facility awaiting the results. If one passenger tests positive, the entire flight goes into government quarantine for 14 days, with another retest on day 15. If the entire flight is negative, mandatory 14 day self quarantine. And then the vacation in the Kingdom of Wonder can begin.

Given those conditions, casual tourists and backpackers aren’t coming.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 am Rtrac -

Apply for the Business Visa. Marriage to a Khmer citizen is covered. This is straight from the Cambodian embassy in Washington, DC. Just be sure to submit marriage documents along with your visa application and passport, self addressed return envelope.
If married to a Cambodian an ordinary visa is the way to go, with EB extensions. Not a business visa.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Although the Embassy have stated Business Visa, they are in fact referring to the E-type (Ordinary) Visa.

To the OP, justification and supporting documentation are required for all of the Visa types mentioned.
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

Great News: Got my E -Type Visa to return to Cambodia!

Hopefully others can benefit from my travails:
I am an American living in the USA married to a Khmer woman who lives in SR, Cambodia.

I first heard the travel ban of US citizens was lifted back in June, and tried to apply to the Cambodian Embassy in Washington DC, USA but had my documents returned to me and no explanation. I later learned that there was no longer any tourist visas being submitted. I then contacted the Cambodian Embassy and was told the same: "Please note that the embassy is not accepting any visa applications at the moment. So any visa application sent in will be returned without a visa at this time.
Please check back with us later or follow our website for updates."

I found out here that there is such a thing as qualifying for a E - Type Visa but it is not well publicized (thanks again all here at CEO for the information!). I again E mailed the Cambodian Embassy to inquire how to proceed. I was informed to: "If you could send us your Cambodian marriage certificate and other required documents on the notice, we will let you know if you are qualified for the E (business) visa or not."

I had my wife get another original copy of our marriage certificates with official English translation and official stamps and send it to me via DHL (she need her original for our pending appointment at the US Embassy in PP for her to come to the US). I also had my wife write a letter addressed to the Cambodian consulate in Khmer to explain our situation and purpose of my visa (and also got it notarized).

I filled out the "Business" application and in place of all references to business / job information, entered my wife's information
+
My US passport + $35 dollar money order from Western Union + supporting marriage documents and mailed to the Cambodian Embassy in Washington DC.

5 days after submitting my application, I get a call from Mr U Hong asking me for documentation that I have at least $50,000 of medical health insurance. I quickly bought a policy for $100K of medical health insurance and emailed the documents back to Mr U Hong.

9 days after submitting my application (today July 11th), I had my Cambodian Visa stamp added to my passport!

Here is the contact information for the Cambodian Embassy in the US (only one):
U Hong (Mr.)
Second Secretary / Consular Officer
Royal Embassy of Cambodia in DC
FB: The Royal Embassy of Cambodia to the United States
Evisa site: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/
Tel: 202-726 7742

So now I get to plan for the trip: A headache for sure but I think with the assistance of sites like this, I should be able to figure this out:
-Covid 19 pcr nasal test with official health certification by physician (letterhead + stamp + notarized + signed) (results of test within the 72 hour window of arrival to PP)
-$3000 USA Dollars (pristine bills) for my deposit
-flight back to PP = will take Eva Air through Singapore = it is only a 20 hour flight

Thanks again for all the help!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

@Rtrac Congrats on getting your visa! As you mentioned transiting in Singapore, are you sure that's possible already? I think I've read that the conditions for transit there are still quite narrow (coming from certain countries, using only Singapore Airlines group flights).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic