$50,000 medical insurance needed?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: $50,000 medical insurance needed?

Post by BklynBoy »

I am unsure about cheaper. But depending how long ur there-- you can get it for 1 month to get in and then cancel it after a month. If your just concerned with getting in
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

If you only need the insurance to get an entry visa, then Allianz is good and cheap, provided you take a high deductible. For example, with a $8k deductible the premium is reduced by 50%. Of course you then have to make sure you dont get sick, because if you do the first $8k of the medical expenses will be paid by you. But with practically zero community transmission of the coronavirus in KOW you might be pretty safe. Just stay off motos and wear condoms!
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

johnny lightning wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:33 am 209 bucks? Fuck that. Especially when you spend the first half of it in quarantine. There must be something cheaper that will do the job.
Given this $50k medical insurance requirement came about in the context of the wuhan virus, does one presume that the coverage must include the virus? The wording of the requirement doesn't specifically mention virus/pandemic coverage...only there is an implication of that from the context.

And so in terms of cost, I would imagine that the cost will vary significantly depending on whether the health insurance covers pandemics or not at this time.

Maybe it's obvious, but has it definitely be determined that the coverage has to include the wuhan virus? I think it was mentioned somewhere before that it's more likely the airline that will check this prior to boarding the aircraft from your departing country? I've asked this question before: are they going to read the fine print in the policy pds to see whether pandemics are covered?
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Good question about them checking the fine print, sadly the authorities in SEA have a consistent track record of not making things clear. If the airlines have to check the fine print for covid 19 insurance and check that passengers have a recent test, before allowing them to board, it will be virtually impossible to operate an airline. That's what the Cambodian authorities don't seem to grasp. As long as the onerous restrictions on passengers apply along with the possibility of forcibly quarantining all passengers if one person tests positive then the planes do not fly. The Cambodian gov't are making choices they do not have which is typical. If the requirements stay as they are the planes do not fly as only people who live in Cambodia will be desperate enough to try to enter. Very few tourists will accept the risk and thus the planes will not have enough passengers to make money and the flight will be cancelled. They have 2 real choices, use common sense ( not likely) and allow normal travel or stay with the restrictions and have no travel. Their belief that tourists will come with restrictions is just a pipedream.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

they will check when u check in that u have
covid free, insurance and a visa
wont hold it off till boarding
hence reason they say arrive 3 hours before flight

I would also imagne even if u have everything, ur fucked if ur flight is cancelled (which many will be for not enough passengers) 2 days before the flight is due to depart an than u need do another test shown g covid free

ONLY a fool will risk traveling (by air) for the next 3-4 months

For thailand
The third or fourth quarter of 2020.” That’s as precise as deputy PM Somkid Jatusripitak could say when Thailand would re-open its borders for foreign tourists.

“…priority will be given to those arriving from coronavirus-free areas.”
so forget Americans/Brazilians and .......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

You will not be able to take the risk, the planes will not fly with the possibility of quarantine at the destination, too few tourists will risk it, and no profits means no flights
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Dunderhead wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm Good question about them checking the fine print, sadly the authorities in SEA have a consistent track record of not making things clear. If the airlines have to check the fine print for covid 19 insurance and check that passengers have a recent test, before allowing them to board, it will be virtually impossible to operate an airline. That's what the Cambodian authorities don't seem to grasp. As long as the onerous restrictions on passengers apply along with the possibility of forcibly quarantining all passengers if one person tests positive then the planes do not fly. The Cambodian gov't are making choices they do not have which is typical. If the requirements stay as they are the planes do not fly as only people who live in Cambodia will be desperate enough to try to enter. Very few tourists will accept the risk and thus the planes will not have enough passengers to make money and the flight will be cancelled. They have 2 real choices, use common sense ( not likely) and allow normal travel or stay with the restrictions and have no travel. Their belief that tourists will come with restrictions is just a pipedream.
The airlines are not going to read the small print. The insurance policy must spell out that it does cover Covid 19 pandemic in the large print.
i.e. $xxx coverage for accident , $xxx coverage for illness, $xxx coverage for pandemics, $xxx coverage for medivac, $xxx coverage for death, etc
If you show up with an $8000. deductible policy you will have to show the ability to pay that amount.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

beaker wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:09 pm
Dunderhead wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm Good question about them checking the fine print, sadly the authorities in SEA have a consistent track record of not making things clear. If the airlines have to check the fine print for covid 19 insurance and check that passengers have a recent test, before allowing them to board, it will be virtually impossible to operate an airline. That's what the Cambodian authorities don't seem to grasp. As long as the onerous restrictions on passengers apply along with the possibility of forcibly quarantining all passengers if one person tests positive then the planes do not fly. The Cambodian gov't are making choices they do not have which is typical. If the requirements stay as they are the planes do not fly as only people who live in Cambodia will be desperate enough to try to enter. Very few tourists will accept the risk and thus the planes will not have enough passengers to make money and the flight will be cancelled. They have 2 real choices, use common sense ( not likely) and allow normal travel or stay with the restrictions and have no travel. Their belief that tourists will come with restrictions is just a pipedream.
The airlines are not going to read the small print. The insurance policy must spell out that it does cover Covid 19 pandemic in the large print.
i.e. $xxx coverage for accident , $xxx coverage for illness, $xxx coverage for pandemics, $xxx coverage for medivac, $xxx coverage for death, etc
If you show up with an $8000. deductible policy you will have to show the ability to pay that amount.

I enquired with one insurance company..

Thank you for your email.

Our policies provide unlimited overseas medical and dental coverage. If you would like to get a quote, please call us and request for a quote and we would be more than happy to help. Alternatively, you can purchase our policies online.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Our policies provide unlimited overseas medical and dental coverage. If you would like to get a quote, please call us and request for a quote and we would be more than happy to help. Alternatively, you can purchase our policies online.
Well, there's a business opportunity right there for these insurance companies to come out with a raft of 'wuhan virus friendly' policies for the discerning traveller or expat :plus1:
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Did you get a quote ?
Reputable insurance companies will want a complete physical.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic