Thai Activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit Kidnapped in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thai Activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit Kidnapped in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

"Argh, can't breath": Thai political exile kidnapped in Phnom Penh
Submitted on Thu, 4 Jun 2020 - 10:57 PM
Wanchalearm Satsaksit, a Thai political activist accused of lèse-majesté in exile in Phnom Penh, was allegedly kidnapped from in front of his condominium earlier this evening (4 June).

A source, whose name has been withheld for security concerns, claimed to be speaking on the phone with Wanchalearm as he was taken, and heard him said “argh, can’t breathe” before the call was cut.

The source said that they thought he has had an accident, but when they later ask a friend to go check on Wanchalearm at the condominium, the friend would that he has already been taken.
Video footage shows that he was taken away in a black car. A security guard at the scene also tried to help, but said that the kidnapper was armed with a gun.

Student activist Parit Chiwarak also posted on his Facebook earlier today (4 June) that Wanchalearm was taken away in a black car.

Wanchalearm is a critic of Thai politics and on 3 June published a video clip criticizing Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-o-cha while speaking in the northeastern Thai dialect.
https://prachatai.com/english/node/8561
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai Activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit Kidnapped in Phnom Penh

This does not look good for Wanchalearm. On previous occasions, Thais in exile for crimes of lese-majeste have been found floating in rivers, or they have disappeared without a trace:
thailand-news-and-discussion/death-squa ... ml#p311335
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yet another reason why I have some disdain for Thailand. The question is whether or not the local cops will be investigating this actively, or will be told to mind their own business.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

A very good chance he is dead and disposed of somewhere in Cambodia

last post on fb was yesterday at 12:59 pm

Why do the Cambodian police refuse to investigate?

Cambodian police on Friday ruled out a probe into the alleged disappearance of a self-exiled Thai democracy activist after a rights group said he had been abducted in broad daylight from outside his Phnom Penh apartment.

Wanchalearm Satsaksit, a sharp critic of the Thai government led by ex-general Prayut Chan-O-Cha, was dragged into a black car on Thursday evening, according to Human Rights Watch.

Citing several witnesses and CCTV from security cameras, HRW says he was on the phone with a colleague when he was taken by “a group of armed men”.
https://southeastasiaglobe.com/cambodia ... ij5P1csqHU

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

^^ Unhelpful speculation, unless you have further information. He may be also be alive.

Exiled Thai activist abducted in Cambodia, rights group says
June 5, 2020 / 12:13 PM / Updated 2 hours ago
3 Min Read

PHNOM PENH/BANGKOK (Reuters) - Unknown gunmen abducted a Thai political activist in Cambodia’s capital, rights advocates said on Friday, the latest in a series of mysterious disappearances of Southeast Asian dissidents living in exile.

Thai police spokesman Kritsana Pattanacharoen said his agency had no role in the disappearance.
“Thai police only work within Thailand,” he said.

Wanchalearm fled Thailand after he was summoned by military authorities following the 2014 coup.

Full article: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-camb ... 9&&rpc=401

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:37 am This does not look good for Wanchalearm. On previous occasions, Thais in exile for crimes of lese-majeste have been found floating in rivers, or they have disappeared without a trace
So your speculation is along EXACTLY the same lines as Richard's, and unfortunately, it is not at all baseless.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I as a westerner wouldn't dare feel safe with only one border beetween state-related chasers and me.

How come locals underestimate this kind of situation, as they are supposed to know better about abductions and wild shit like this ?

Especially in Kow, come on...
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I suppose the simple question if you ignore the obvious is what other reason could there possibly be for his abduction? Any local based wild theories would be interesting to hear.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:21 am I suppose the simple question if you ignore the obvious is what other reason could there possibly be for his abduction? Any local based wild theories would be interesting to hear.
On Wednesday, he [Mr Wanchalearm] posted an expletive-laden video on his Facebook page castigating Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... n-cambodia

The Thai activist was abducted the next day.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Ghostwriter wrote:I as a westerner wouldn't dare feel safe with only one border beetween state-related chasers and me.

How come locals underestimate this kind of situation, as they are supposed to know better about abductions and wild shit like this ?

Especially in Kow, come on...
I don't think a Thai passport allows you to go many places on short notice.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic