Thai Activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit Kidnapped in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai Activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit Kidnapped in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:42 am
Splashback wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 am Holy shit! He lives? And how about the others? That's great news.
I think you might want to read the article, Wanchalearm Satsaksit has not been found.
CEO News says: Excuses if there were misunderstandings about Wanchalearm Satsaksit being found.

I posted the above article here on this thread - (yet another activist kidnapped) - because Wanchalearm Satsaksit is not the only one who is/was targeted by the Thai regime and I wanted to make that clear.

But no, still no news of missing activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit, sorry.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:49 am Edit: Another Thai activist was kidnapped for 24 hours before being released last weekend.

Pro-democracy Thai man recounts his mysterious kidnapping
January 19, 2021
published at 2:43 AMThe Nation/Asia News Network

Mongkol Santimetakul, a member of the pro-democracy protesters’ security unit, on Sunday (Jan 17) recounted his kidnapping on Saturday (Jan 16) night by a group of mysterious men.

Mongkol’s nightlong disappearance saw members of the pro-democracy group and guards gather outside the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) in Bangkok's Dusit district on Sunday morning to demand answers.

Mongkol had apparently been pulled into a van as he was walking out of a convenience store on Saturday night by a mysterious man who then proceeded to send out messages on the guard's phone claiming he was an Isoc officer.

“All that night, this man kept ordering me to sign a document, which I refused because I could not read it,” he said.

“He also issued threats demanding that I stop participating in pro-democracy rallies.”

Mongkol said there were several men, one of whom spoke in the southern Thai dialect, adding that he had not been tortured.

As for the post reading “help” on his Facebook page, Mongkol said he did not post that message because the group had seized his smartphone, adding that he had to give them his phone password to save his life.

“Later, one of the men said they will drop me off in the border area, but then apologised because they had ‘misunderstood’.

“He then covered my head with a jacket before pushing me out of the van,” he said. “When I removed the jacket, I found myself at Soi Pang Pu 29 in Samut Prakan province and I asked staff at a convenience store nearby to contact my friends to pick me up.”

After Mongkol recounted his experience with the press, an attorney from the Thai Lawyers for Human Rights took him to file a police complaint at the Pak Nam Police Station.

Separately, Move Forward Party MP Rangsiman Rome said this case is similar to the forced disappearance of Thai activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit, who was abducted from a street in Phnom Penh on June 4 last year.
https://www.asiaone.com/asia/pro-democr ... kidnapping
FAKE NEWS::

SAMUT PRAKAN — Police on Wednesday said they will charge a pro-democracy campaigner for filing a false report that he was the victim of an abduction by security officers.

Activist groups said Mongkol “Yale” Santimethakul, a member of the protesters’ security network “Guard Coalition for the People,” was manhandled from his home on Saturday night by individuals in an unmarked van who claimed to be security officers. But police now say there’s evidence that the incident didn’t take place at all.

“We’ve gathered almost all the evidence and it becomes obvious that the incident didn’t happen,” Samut Prakan provincial police chief Chumpol Phumphuang said.

A screenshot of a CCTV footage released by police shows a man investigators said to be Mongkol Santimethakul walking down the street near his residence on Jan. 16, 2021.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... as-a-hoax/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Splashback »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:42 am
Splashback wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 am Holy shit! He lives? And how about the others? That's great news.
I think you might want to read the article, Wanchalearm Satsaksithas not been found.
You're right. Got my Santimetakul's confused with my Satsaksit's. My bad.

It's a very worrying trend. Anyone have thoughts as to if these disappeared people might be alive?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia halts probe into abduction of Thai activist
Sister of Wanchalearm Satsaksit claims Cambodian authorities refuse to look into the case.
By UCA News - February 9, 2021

The investigation into the abduction of a Thai political activist who was last seen in Phnom Penh eight months ago has come to a halt because Cambodian authorities are refusing to look into the case, according to the abductee’s sister.

Wanchalearm Satsaksit, a Thai pro-democracy campaigner who lived in exile in the Cambodian capital, was forcefully bundled into a waiting car by men outside his apartment on June 4 last year, never to be seen again.

The last person who was in touch with the missing activist was his sister Sitanan Satsaksit, who was on the phone with him just as he was being abducted by unknown assailants while he was out to buy food near his apartment building.

In full: https://www.ucanews.com/news/cambodia-h ... vist/91313#
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

News By Prachatai

Missing activist’s sister testifies to DSI on brother’s disappearance

Submitted on Sat, 27 Mar 2021 - 10:02 PM

Sitanan Satsaksit, sister of missing Thai activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit, said she has evidence of her brother being in Cambodia before his disappearance.

The Cross Cultural Foundation (CrCF) reported that Sitanan, along with lawyers from Thai Lawyers for Human Rights (TLHR) and representatives of the CrCF, went to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) on Thursday (25 March) to testify on her brother’s disappearance.

Sitanan took with her documents which prove that Wanchalearm was residing in Cambodia before his disappearance, including a document from the Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD) on an investigation into an offense punishable under Thai laws which is committed outside of the country, images from CCTV cameras within Wanchalearm’s residence which are a record that he was living in Cambodia, and a passport issued for Wanchalearm by the Cambodian authorities.

Sitanan told The Reporters that even though the Cambodian police said that Wanchalearm’s passport and visa expired in 2018, she had met her brother overseas several times, and that during those trips, Wanchalearm used a passport issued by the Cambodian authorities in 2015. She also said that the visa the Cambodian authorities claimed had expired was attached to his Thai passport, but he had always used his Cambodian passport to travel while he was living there.
https://prachatai.com/english/node/9149

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1 year on and still no news:

fish food?

Thai authorities have made no progress in the investigation of Wanchalearm’s disappearance since his family submitted their information to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) a year ago, his sister Sitanan said on May 7. “We will discuss what to do next on June 4,” she added.

“The Cambodian police did not conduct a proper investigation,” she said at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand in early February. “I felt that officials in Cambodia did not care about the evidence we presented. They said if we could not provide stronger evidence, they would not investigate the case at all.”

Sitanan says Thai authorities have shown an equal lack of enthusiasm, declining to give her any information or to conduct a formal inquiry into her brother’s disappearance.
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-year-on- ... es-silent/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Case of missing activist rekindled
published : 6 Apr 2022 at 04:00

The Justice Ministry has pledged to follow up on the case of political activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit who was abducted while living in Phnom Penh in mid-2020 after going into self-exile and who remains missing.

Sitanan Satsaksit, the elder sister of Wanchalearm, submitted a letter yesterday with her family and human rights' representatives to acting Sub Lt Thanakrit Jitareerat, a secretary to Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin, in response to a recent report issued by Cambodia about missing persons.

Sub Lt Thanakrit said as this criminal case occurred outside Thailand, it falls under the supervision of the Office of the Attorney-General (OAG).

"I think the case has dragged on for too long already," he said.

Sub Lt Thanakrit said he would coordinate with the OAG and pledged to do his utmost to get results.

As of now, there is no evidence to confirm that Wanchalearm is dead or alive, nor whether his disappearance was politically motivated, he said.

Ms Sitanan conveyed her thanks to the ministry. Her family will meet Sub Lt Thanakrit again on June 4 to receive an update on the progress of the case, as this will mark two years since her brother disappeared.

Earlier on Monday, Ms Sitanan and representatives of a human rights group submitted a joint statement with the Cambodian rights group Licadho to representatives of the United Nations (UN) condemning Cambodia for failing to carry out an investigation into the disappearance of Mr Wanchalearm.

The matter was raised during a meeting of the UN Committee on Enforced Disappearances (CED) yesterday that discussed open cases in Cambodia.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2290698/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

3 years on, still no trace of missing activist
By Prachatai
7 Jun 2023
3 years after activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit went missing while living in exile in Cambodia, no progress has been made into the investigation of his disappearance, while activists in Cambodia and Thailand held public gatherings on Sunday (4 June), the anniversary of his disappearance.

Wanchalearm went missing on 4 June 2020. He had been living in exile in Cambodia since 2014, and was abducted from in front of the Mekong Garden condominium in Phnom Penh while on the phone with his sister, who heard him say “I can’t breathe” before the line went dead.
Article: https://prachataienglish.com/node/10405

Lest we forget:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Hopefully a new Thai government, if and when it comes into office, will make a serious effort to investigate this properly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Alex wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:08 am Hopefully a new Thai government, if and when it comes into office, will make a serious effort to investigate this properly.
That's a good one!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic