intermarriage Asian and White

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: intermarriage Asian and White

Post by StroppyChops »

កូនកាត់ខ្លះអត់ស្អាតទេ។ កូនកាត់ភាគច្រើនដែលស្អាតគឺកូនកាត់ដែលមានម្ដាយខ្មែរ និង ឪពុកបារាំង តែបើឪពុកខ្មែរម្ដាយបារាំងវិញកូនកាត់នោះមិនសូវស្អាតទេ។
What do you mean ? :p
Come on. This made me sad when you don't understand it. :(
The way this translates into English (if I understand it correctly) is probably not how you intend for an English speaker to hear it - for us, talking about cross-breed people not being acceptable reminds us of Hitler and the Nazis. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Edit: (1) fixed a broken quote tag, and (2) removed names so no-one thinks I'm telling them off
Last edited by StroppyChops on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

StroppyChops wrote:
Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:កូនកាត់ខ្លះអត់ស្អាតទេ។ កូនកាត់ភាគច្រើនដែលស្អាតគឺកូនកាត់ដែលមានម្ដាយខ្មែរ និង ឪពុកបារាំង តែបើឪពុកខ្មែរម្ដាយបារាំងវិញកូនកាត់នោះមិនសូវស្អាតទេ។
Samouth, the way this translates into English (if I understand it correctly) is probably not how you intend for an English speaker to hear it - for us, talking about cross-breed people not being acceptable reminds us of Hitler and the Nazis. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.
I'm experiencing a rare moment of agreement with StroppyChops... the Google Translate of this was very unnerving:
Most hybrid is a hybrid whose mother Khmer French father and French mother if the father Khmer hybrid was not very clean.
I'm just not understanding the "not clean" part.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

StroppyChops wrote:
កូនកាត់ខ្លះអត់ស្អាតទេ។ កូនកាត់ភាគច្រើនដែលស្អាតគឺកូនកាត់ដែលមានម្ដាយខ្មែរ និង ឪពុកបារាំង តែបើឪពុកខ្មែរម្ដាយបារាំងវិញកូនកាត់នោះមិនសូវស្អាតទេ។
The way this translates into English (if I understand it correctly) is probably not how you intend for an English speaker to hear it - for us, talking about cross-breed people not being acceptable reminds us of Hitler and the Nazis. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Edit: (1) fixed a broken quote tag, and (2) removed names so no-one thinks I'm telling them off
Hello Stroppy, i didn't mean to not let other Native speaker understand what i wrote. I just want to encourage and praise Mr. Username Taken for his effort and hard working to study khmer. What's why i responded it in Khmer. Moreover, what i wrote was not originally my idea or belief. This is the stereotype of Cambodian toward half blood kid. I will translate it. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Khmer
Translation
Some half blood kids are not cute. Some half blood kids that are really cute are those whose mother is Cambodian and father is white and for those whose father is Cambodian and mother is white, they are not really cute.

PS. This is not originally my idea and belief. This is completely the stereotype of Cambodian toward half blood kids.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:កូនកាត់ខ្លះអត់ស្អាតទេ។ កូនកាត់ភាគច្រើនដែលស្អាតគឺកូនកាត់ដែលមានម្ដាយខ្មែរ និង ឪពុកបារាំង តែបើឪពុកខ្មែរម្ដាយបារាំងវិញកូនកាត់នោះមិនសូវស្អាតទេ។
Samouth, the way this translates into English (if I understand it correctly) is probably not how you intend for an English speaker to hear it - for us, talking about cross-breed people not being acceptable reminds us of Hitler and the Nazis. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.
I'm experiencing a rare moment of agreement with StroppyChops... the Google Translate of this was very unnerving:
Most hybrid is a hybrid whose mother Khmer French father and French mother if the father Khmer hybrid was not very clean.
I'm just not understanding the "not clean" part.
Hey MekongMouse. The word beautiful (cute) and clean are the same in our language. :) hope this help.

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

In English,'cute' sometimes means ugly, but interesting.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Ahh, yes that helps a lot. Heh, they mean very different things in English!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

StroppyChops wrote:In English,'cute' sometimes means ugly, but interesting.
I am not capable to understand that. :(

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:Ahh, yes that helps a lot. Heh, they mean very different things in English!
Every language has its own unique. :) :beer3:

MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Samouth wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:In English,'cute' sometimes means ugly, but interesting.
I am not capable to understand that. :(
Sometimes a woman will say that a man is a man is "cute" when she thinks he's not attractive because it is not insulting, but it is also not something most men want to be considered. Most men would prefer handsome or sexy or hot, but cute is something you call a child. So if a woman calls a man cute, he knows that she probably is not interested in him, but it is technically not an insult, so he hasn't lost face.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic