What It’s Like to Be an American Expat During the Coronavirus Pandemic

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

What It’s Like to Be an American Expat During the Coronavirus Pandemic

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

By Wesley Grover
April 13, 2020

“We woke up one morning to find the entire lobby swarming with doctors, police and the building’s staff,”

In early March, I boarded a bus from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, with no intention of reaching the final destination. Rather, I was going to cross the border into Cambodia, receive a stamp in my passport, then walk back across to Vietnam and renew my visa before catching a bus destined for my point of origin, where I have lived for several years.

To date, more than 20,000 people have been placed in government-run quarantine camps, and more than 50,000 are being monitored while self-isolating at home. Employing such tactics in the U.S. would almost certainly require a declaration of martial law, and even then it’s doubtful Americans would comply.

For the next 14 days, their building was under complete lockdown, with no one allowed to leave the premises. Occupants were able to receive deliveries at access points that were monitored by police to ensure no one left. Once the lockdown was lifted, the couple booked tickets back to the U.S. “We left because we disagreed with Vietnam’s enforced quarantine situation,” says Warren.

Acts of tribalism are probably not that shocking in the wake of a global pandemic. In my experience, what’s been most surprising as an American expat is that I feel like an outsider watching the United States implode from afar; the irony of my family’s concern for my well-being in the early days of the outbreak is not lost on me.

full https://www.insidehook.com/article/news ... oronavirus
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: What It’s Like to Be an American Expat During the Coronavirus Pandemic

Post by Robins »

These days I'm glad I'm stuck in Asia and not in America. America is being destroyed from within by the cancer of liberalism. What a shame that the people who comprise 13% of our population and commit half our murders cannot get along with the police. I know which one we'd be better off without.
It was also nice getting a $1200 check in the mail just for being American.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I can safely say it feels a heck of a lot safer and better not being in America with the horrific way it has been handled back home. From the conspiracy theorists to the MAGA freedom fighters bravely battling against using masks and putting others at risk. Thank god I'm somewhere safe where people respect the need to protect others and where, by sheer luck, have avoided any mass cases.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Robins wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:18 am These days I'm glad I'm stuck in Asia and not in America. America is being destroyed from within by the cancer of liberalism. What a shame that the people who comprise 13% of our population and commit half our murders cannot get along with the police. I know which one we'd be better off without.
Lucky for you that you are now living in a dictatorship where there are no elections so you will never have any of those far-left liberals. What's that, you want to make a comment about the king and General Prayut? Hope you are getting along with the police!
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

Robins wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:18 am These days I'm glad I'm stuck in Asia and not in America. America is being destroyed from within by the cancer of liberalism. What a shame that the people who comprise 13% of our population and commit half our murders cannot get along with the police. I know which one we'd be better off without.
Don't worry. The Donald is going to sort all of this out for you, just don't check the statistics or the polls. Best just stick with Fox News although even they have began to turn. YouTube is probably your best bet at this point. Trust the algorithm.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

angsta wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:27 am
Don't worry. The Donald is going to sort all of this out for you, just don't check the statistics or the polls. Best just stick with Fox News although even they have began to turn. YouTube is probably your best bet at this point. Trust the algorithm.
Trump has actually handled it quite well, but when the other side wants America to fail at all costs during an election year, even he can’t do it all himself.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Interesting what yanks think about being an expat but not interesting debating Trump :please:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Good post KFH!

Interesting perspective.

Please ignore the anti-Trump rhetoric that keeps polluting many threads.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Yes Sir ee Bob! I enjoy this post also, and thank you KFH for your contributions here overall. The slice of life you offer up here regularly requires a reading mindset I have trouble getting into and your stuff is so good I owe it to myself to adjust into that mindset.

I must' ve been on vacation for all the prev. Trump talking or maybe I just bristle like a pit bull when the rest of the world gets to pass judgement on all Americans because they saw the latest horror news loop on CNN and know all there is to know about the US of A. Sometimes I cannot hold back from engaging but mostly I ignore unqualified talk from people outside the states have to say including Americans who have lost touch with life there. KFH often brings it all home in a 3 rd person narrative and its a lovely thing to have that skill.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bossho wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:13 am I just bristle like a pit bull when the rest of the world gets to pass judgement on all Americans because they saw the latest horror news loop on CNN and know all there is to know about the US of A.
I'm amazed how many Americans think that the rest of the world watches or gets opinions from CNN. Guess what? There are thousands of news outlets all over the planet, many of them in foreign languages. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic