What It’s Like to Be an American Expat During the Coronavirus Pandemic

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: What It’s Like to Be an American Expat During the Coronavirus Pandemic

Post by Apollo91881 »

TheImplication wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 am
angsta wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:27 am
Robins wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:18 am These days I'm glad I'm stuck in Asia and not in America. America is being destroyed from within by the cancer of liberalism. What a shame that the people who comprise 13% of our population and commit half our murders cannot get along with the police. I know which one we'd be better off without.
It was also nice getting a $1200 check in the mail just for being American.
Don't worry. The Donald is going to sort all of this out for you, just don't check the statistics or the polls. Best just stick with Fox News although even they have began to turn. YouTube is probably your best bet at this point. Trust the algorithm.
Trump has actually handled it quite well, but when the other side wants America to fail at all costs during an election year, even he can’t do it all himself.
Yes, a truly solid and coordinated national response ... which is sarcasm. I got here mid June and am thankful to have left the shit show back home as there is no end in sight at this point.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Yessir, young Michael Vickery online or John Bingham , I'm speaking to my own shadows again re: other news than CNN for the other than American populations out there, but the ubiquity of CNN is there in airports and hotels. Can you tell me how some of the bigger news outlets treated the recent police killing of George Floyd? I hope BBC Al Jazeera did the matter a much fairer treatment than the tiny bit i endured from CNN mostly {maybe a pm or new thread here cuz we are not in step with KFH's well directed post}

CNN was a gamechanger I got to grow up with and its hard to accept what a tragic bloody mess its become now.
Last edited by bossho on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:10 am
I'm amazed how many Americans think that the rest of the world watches or gets opinions from CNN. Guess what? There are thousands of news outlets all over the planet, many of them in foreign languages. :?
Very true. Other countries have shitty news, too.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Watch
RT news
MSNBC ( better than CNN yet seems to cover the same )
Aljaerza
BBC

FOX for entertainment..... taken with a grain of salt UNLESS ur a trump supporter.. Than "gods word"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

TheImplication wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 am Trump has actually handled it quite well, but when the other side wants America to fail at all costs during an election year, even he can’t do it all himself.
Thank you very much for a much needed coffee break laugh. Still reeling.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

I got regular amusement from talking to my friends and family in the US while I was in Cambodia. As others have experienced, the funny "worry" they expressed for Me, while they're sitting there with both high numbers of covid cases and protests around the country. So silly.

I think the most interesting thing that happened to me, which actually did make me slightly hesitant about being in Cambodia, was when I went to a clinic to see a doctor and got turned away because I was white. They wouldn't see me or even let me in the door. That made me wonder if I should bail and head home asap. The next one I went to happily saw me, and then sent me on to another clinic for testing, and they happily saw me too. Hopefully it was just that one clinic that was discriminating.
Robins wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:18 amWhat a shame that the people who comprise 13% of our population and commit half our murders cannot get along with the police.
Could you please clarify which "people" you're referring to?
Last edited by Electric Earth on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am
Robins wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:18 amWhat a shame that the people who comprise 13% of our population and commit half our murders cannot get along with the police.

(Not sure what this has to do with COVID-19, but a musical interlude is probably called for.)
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

TheImplication wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 am Trump has actually handled it quite well, but when the other side wants America to fail at all costs during an election year, even he can’t do it all himself.
Disagree. Trump and the nation as a whole has not handled this well. Asia in general has done much better.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:06 am
Electric Earth wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am

(Not sure what this has to do with COVID-19, but a musical interlude is probably called for.)
That's what I assumed too. I just felt I should clarify before commenting. I'm kinda surprised someone would have the guts to blatantly say they thought the US would be better off without black people. Pretty ballsy even for the more blatant of racists.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am Pretty ballsy even for the more blatant of racists.
Cite facts, get called names.

Now back to the Wuhan Flu.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic