update for visa - USA to Cambo

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: update for visa - USA to Cambo

Post by Doc67 »

Yerg wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:17 am Slightly off your off topic, but I also have a bridge available. It’s in London. Interested?
Is it an Air-Bridge to Phnom Penh?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:52 am I am transiting out of Singapore which just lifted the transit ban but agree that is important information.
If you are transiting Singapore, that means going from an arrival gate and straight to another one, via a new layer of security. That means having an all-the-way-through airline ticket, with one check in at JFK. That means the same airline or a connected one. This could be very important as if you have to check-in again at Singapore, that will mean getting your bags and doing through customs and immigration to get to the check-in desks.

Is Singapore going to allow this? I understand that they are permitting transit, not immigration.

In normal times this would not even be a consideration but now you have to think of what could possibly go wrong, and that is a lot!
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:17 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:52 am I am transiting out of Singapore which just lifted the transit ban but agree that is important information.
If you are transiting Singapore, that means going from an arrival gate and straight to another one, via a new layer of security. That means having an all-the-way-through airline ticket, with one check in at JFK. That means the same airline or a connected one. This could be very important as if you have to check-in again at Singapore, that will mean getting your bags and doing through customs and immigration to get to the check-in desks.

Is Singapore going to allow this? I understand that they are permitting transit, not immigration.

In normal times this would not even be a consideration but now you have to think of what could possibly go wrong, and that is a lot!
NO that is not what it means. I have used singapore airlines a few time. You do not get your bags. You bring your carry on. Thats it. It is not immigration. It is transit. Agree there is a 2nd step of security because you have to go thru the metal detector again and bring your carry on thru the x ray machine. Unsure if explaining this correctly but you do not have to "check in" the way your saying it.

You depart one plane walk thru some mini security process again..DO NOT GET LUGGAGE.. then walk ahead to gate. When I am transiting in Singapore, they bring my luggage to my 2nd flight.. I do not get any luggage
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

You're explaining it right. However, many of us use the term 'transiting' in the non-legal sense, thus the confusion.

It also does not help that some booking engines offer exactly the same connection as some carriers with a little twist.

For instance I can book from Europe THY to SIN and on to PNH with Jetstar. I can do that on the THY website and all is fine as it would be transit like you say.

Some booking websites offer exactly the same connection, flight numbers etc. for a little less BUT they add that the customer 'might' (which means 100%) have to recheck his luggage. In other words: this means two separate tickets and not transit. The customer has to go thru immigration/customs, take the shuttle bus to Terminal 4 and check in again. Problem with this arrangement is that it would not work.

This will be obvious to many but the info might help others.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its called a a "fly thru" ticket You book one ticket which takes in 2 separate flights and you will always "transit" the country where you change planes

You do not need clear any immigration in the "transit" country or collect ur bags

Doc 67 is correct

its seems for some, english reading skills are lacking :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:49 am I sympathize with you all that Think they Need,( you really dont need to, you only want too) to get back to Thailand, Singapore, Cambodia etc etc
BUT what the fuck are you wasting your time and energy and worrying so much for?
Sure you miss ur ( fill in the Blank)

when its open, it will all open and things will go smooth...no tests, no insurance, no possible 14 days sleeping on a cot

look at late Sept/Oct

and the old saying,
"money in the hand is worth two in the bush"
I'm sure if you were stuck away for 3-6 months your wife and kids would WANT you back, if it was just a matter of a holiday yes easy to forget and postpone.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

atst wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 pm I'm sure if you were stuck away for 3-6 months your wife and kids would WANT you back, if it was just a matter of a holiday yes easy to forget and postpone.
@ atst Did you see this ?
post427257.html#p427257

Singapore is also opening up to Oz and NZ.
https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/ ... cific2.pdf

Yeah, easy for some people to say don't sweat it, when all you want to do is get back to your family. Things are moving. Maybe June or July will be your lucky month. :beer3:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:59 pm

NO that is not what it means. I have used singapore airlines a few time. You do not get your bags. You bring your carry on. Thats it. It is not immigration. It is transit. Agree there is a 2nd step of security because you have to go thru the metal detector again and bring your carry on thru the x ray machine. Unsure if explaining this correctly but you do not have to "check in" the way your saying it.

You depart one plane walk thru some mini security process again..DO NOT GET LUGGAGE.. then walk ahead to gate. When I am transiting in Singapore, they bring my luggage to my 2nd flight.. I do not get any luggage
That's all fine if you are booking with S.A. for the entire trip. But if you are not, if you buy a ticket via an agent through something like SkyScanner, with two unrelated airlines, you might have big problems. You must have an flight where you can check in once with both boarding passes, and your luggage better have the magic letters of PNH on the luggage tags. If they have SIN that as far as they, and maybe you, will get.

See below:

BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:03 pm

That's all fine if you are booking with S.A. for the entire trip. But if you are not, if you buy a ticket via an agent through something like SkyScanner, with two unrelated airlines, you might have big problems. You must have an flight where you can check in once with both boarding passes, and your luggage better have the magic letters of PNH on the luggage tags. If they have SIN that as far as they, and maybe you, will get.

See below:

yea.. fuck that.. who would want to do that?? no way bro.. if your saving a few bucks?? not worth the drama and headache. Esp now its not worth the headache.. When booking trip, book for the entire trip w/ one airline.. its not worth it at all. .to deal with that

but now i understand why you said what you said.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:12 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:03 pm

See below:

yea.. fuck that.. who would want to do that?? no way bro.. if your saving a few bucks?? not worth the drama and headache. Esp now its not worth the headache.. When booking trip, book for the entire trip w/ one airline.. its not worth it at all. .to deal with that

but now i understand why you said what you said.
At the moment these convoluted flight combinations are all that is available to some. In normal times they are super cheap but a nightmare overall.

I think it is best to wait for a couple of months to allow a few boring old routes to open up: Thai Airways and Malaysian Airlines to start up and Singapore with Silk Air onto PP to restart up.

Also, it is worth noting that PP had 1800 arrivees yesterday. More flights are starting up which means more people. With their testing everyone and holding them for 24-48 hours for the results, that's going to test their reception committees and facilities to destruction in short order. Throw in a public holiday/long weekend for the labs and they could have 5000 people sitting in holding pens in no time. I can't see that lasting very long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic