Air Asia want their money back.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Air Asia want their money back.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Returning from Indonesia due to COVID-19 in March I had almost $AUD1000 worth of tickets booked for flights throughout the region with Air Asia over the following months which I had reclaimed via my bank's dispute system - I received the funds in total a few weeks ago.

I just received a call from my bank telling me AirAsia are now disputing my claim with Mastercard, after I've already been refunded, under their terms and conditions for that particular ticket type; you know, the cheap ass discounted ones.

I am an AirAsia fanboy, now to a lesser degree, but feel they're taking the piss considering they grounded their fleet and none of those flights I booked left the ground. As I understand it under Australian consumer law, regardless of how AirAsia may word their terms and conditions, as the goods or services they sold weren't delivered I'm entitled to a full refund.

Or is there some ticket clause that allows airlines to keep the money even though they cancelled a flight?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Air Asia want their money back.

Post by timmydownawell »

AirAsia will let you reschedule your flights for six months, or give you credit for (I think) two years for flights affected by Covid-19. When they first announced this the "free flight change" was only valid for three months, and it was obvious to me that this wasn't going to be over that fast, so I went for the credits. Now that the free flight change offer has been extended I wish I had gone with that, as prices for future flights have more than doubled.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

The game of survival has just started and airlines will go bust. In such a case the money spent for flights that never happened will be lost. In any other case your rights of refund will be honoured the question remains about how. Some will offer future flights, some will offer delayed repayment, we will also see some creative ways of not forking out cash immediately.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Just be glad your bank got that money back quickly for you. Many people haven't been so lucky, and have been screwed over by airlines who won't refund tickets at all.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Electric Earth wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:20 pm Just be glad your bank got that money back quickly for you.
So I can lament their inability to hold it once they've got it.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Air Asia gave you a refund in March, and now the global situation for airlines has changed (for the worse), and they want their money back ?
My absolutely non-expert advice is keep your money and see if they want to sue you for $1000 (Australian). They have lost millions, but that's not your problem. ;)
Good luck.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Don't give it back. Put the money into another account if need be.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Mastercard can remove the funds at their discretion if they uphold the vendor's claim. I can't stop it, apparently.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cambodia:
Pre-Flight:
1.Visa from Embassy....check
2. Covid-19 negative test..... check
3. $50,000 insurance cover..... check
4. IATA transit country search.....check
5. IATA destination country search.....check
Post Flight
6. Negative test at Airport..... check
7. 14 days lock-up at home..... check
8. Negative test on day 13....check
9. FREEDOM

UPDATES*
*** 4(a). Credit check on airline***

Travel is becoming like doing your own conveyancing on a property transaction.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

I just went over to AirAsia's facebook page to add my two cents to find "...we are unable to actively monitor Facebook comments at this time."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic