Cambodian Immigration/Visa Information

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian Immigration/Visa Information

Post by walkjivefly »

Lucky quoted me $185 for 6-month EG. I've always found them flaky at best. Some other random travel agent around Riverside said $165 but also said it does take 3 weeks. The guy at Immigration was adamant they won't do an EG for walk-in punters; only through an agent.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

what was your previous visa?
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

walkjivefly wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 pm Lucky quoted me $185 for 6-month EG. I've always found them flaky at best. Some other random travel agent around Riverside said $165 but also said it does take 3 weeks. The guy at Immigration was adamant they won't do an EG for walk-in punters; only through an agent.
Used to only take a few days but since they tightened up the rules it now takes about three weeks.

I will shop around more for a better price though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

dron wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 pm what was your previous visa?
I got a new passport, took a (longer than expected) holiday, returned last week and got an ordinary (E) visa on arrival.

As an aside, the good folks at the VOA counter tried to stiff me $5 for a K-visa for our son but quickly back-pedalled when I reminded them it should be free.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

walkjivefly wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 am
dron wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 pm what was your previous visa?
I got a new passport, took a (longer than expected) holiday, returned last week and got an ordinary (E) visa on arrival.

As an aside, the good folks at the VOA counter tried to stiff me $5 for a K-visa for our son but quickly back-pedalled when I reminded them it should be free.
ALWAYS worth a try to scam money out of the westerner, we can always smile and laugh it off as a joke when it turns out he knows the score. The longer I'm here the more I swear we westerners are too damned polite for our own good. (Hi mate, by the way)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Hello,

Can you confirm that it is now impossible to extend an ordinary visa for 1 year without any document as before ?

I have read that it is possible the first year, but not the following years.

Thanks a lot.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The best you can do without documentation is a 6 mth EG EOS. Or if you're 55+ a 12 month ER EOS.

Be aware, you are not permitted to (legally) work on either of those extensions.
Davidbird12
Tourist
Austria

Post by Davidbird12 »

Hey, thanks a lot for sharing this information. I was looking for an ultimate guide like this only. This will prove really helpful for anyone who is planning to visit this beautiful visit.
:thumb:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Just read this news from a poster on the Facebook page of Cambodian visa and work permit group.

I've just been to the Phnom Penh Immigration Office to ask directly whether it is possible to obtain an ER visa under 50. They told me the supporting document required is a certificate of retirement issued by my embassy. I told them there is no certificate issued by the UK embassy to confirm retirement and definitely not early retirement.
I asked if proof of sufficient income/funds would be satisfactory. They said regardless of finances an embassy issued certificate of retirement is needed.
I asked what type of visa I could get as I do not work and am not eligible for EB and won't reach U.K. retirement age until 2050.
They told me I could get a 6 month EG (as expected) AND that I would have to leave and come back after 6 months. I asked them to confirm that 6m EG visas could be repeated. They confirmed. Hopefully this will solve a problem for those under 55 who don't work but obviously there was nothing in writing to confirm this is official policy.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:06 pm Just read this news from a poster on the Facebook page of Cambodian visa and work permit group.

I've just been to the Phnom Penh Immigration Office to ask directly whether it is possible to obtain an ER visa under 50. They told me the supporting document required is a certificate of retirement issued by my embassy. I told them there is no certificate issued by the UK embassy to confirm retirement and definitely not early retirement.
I asked if proof of sufficient income/funds would be satisfactory. They said regardless of finances an embassy issued certificate of retirement is needed.
I asked what type of visa I could get as I do not work and am not eligible for EB and won't reach U.K. retirement age until 2050.
They told me I could get a 6 month EG (as expected) AND that I would have to leave and come back after 6 months. I asked them to confirm that 6m EG visas could be repeated. They confirmed. Hopefully this will solve a problem for those under 55 who don't work but obviously there was nothing in writing to confirm this is official policy.

Hopefully they do not solve the problem Thai style... with Elite visa, 500000 thb for 5 years.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic