(Another) 12 types of expats.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

(Another) 12 types of expats.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Sean Kim
May 29, 2020

“The loneliness of the expatriate is of an odd and complicated kind, for it is inseparable from the feeling of being free, of having escaped.” — Adam Gopnik

“The Cultural Chameleon tries to blend into her new country by going native—sometimes to a ridiculous extent.

The Greener Pastures Expat
If you’re someone who is typically out and about when you travel, you’ve certainly met a few “greener pasture” expats. These are the folks who left their homelands for, well, greener pastures. They believe they can have a better quality of life in other countries, possibly due to stress, financial reasons or something else. ....

The Adventurer
Adventurers are similar to greener pastures expats. Since many of these labels don’t exclude someone from being in more than one, you could say that a foreign recruit is an adventurer, of sorts, just as a traveling spouse could be, or a student. It all depends on how you look at it. But, in our case, an adventurer is a thrill-seeker. ....

The Career Expat
Laptops. Cellphones. Coffee. These are the staples of the career expat, who moved to a new country to find a job or start their own company. Unlike the foreign recruit, they weren’t invited to come to a country and work. Instead, they saw the opportunity to start a new life and packed up their bags to go do it. .....

The “Back to My Roots” Expat
Some people end up being raised in a country that is different than that of their forefathers (or mothers). Perhaps a family left Nazi Germany and went to Argentina to escape persecution. Maybe your grandmother was a diplomat and moved from England to China....

full https://www.rypeapp.com/blog/types-of-expats/
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: (Another) 12 types of expats.

Post by hanno »

I think this has been thoroughly done to death.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

hanno wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 am I think this has been thoroughly done to death.
I agree. No more "Types of Expats" from me.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 am I think this has been thoroughly done to death.
KF is just bored at home :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:58 am
I should have posted it under the 10 types of expats thread you posted perhaps, Dicky.
thailand-news-and-discussion/here-again ... 30734.html
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:58 am
at least he's stopped making puns...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic