I pulled a woman out of a car wreck this morning.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

I pulled a woman out of a car wreck this morning.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Having lunch I heard that awful sound of wreckage when a car hits something hard, It was so loud it could only have happened directly outside. The car had swerved off the road, hit a tree and then a light pole and came rest on its side.

I was able to force the door open to reveal a woman around 27-30 years old of Asian decent screaming "I can't feel my arms, I can't feel my arms." I felt I had to get her out in case..., so with the help of the second guy arriving, we pulled here free, her one leg taking some force to get out from under the seat.

At the same time we were attending to her we kept asking if anyone else was in the car, but she wouldn't stop crying "I can't feel my arms...." As other people began to arrive we were pleased to find nobody else in the vehicle.

A family member called emergency services with Ambulance, Fire and Traffic arriving within 5-7 minutes.

I decided not to take photos from the other side of the car out of respect for the woman.

Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: I pulled a woman out of a car wreck this morning.

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Good job, just have to be careful in case of spinal injury. Sounds like she'll survive I take it? Just in shock most likely.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:45 pm Good job, just have to be careful in case of spinal injury. Sounds like she'll survive I take it? Just in shock most likely.
Horrible feeling you've made the wrong decision in this situation, but I felt she had to be clear of the car.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Good work mate, hope the woman makes a full recovery.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:25 pm Good work mate, hope the woman makes a full recovery.
It does seem she may have a spinal injury.

Human characteristics are interesting things. I shouldn't have been first to the car as a couple of neighbors had walked out before me, but they chose to observe rather than act. I remember reading a study conducted on air crash scenarios which revealed, and don't quote me on exact percentages, but something like - ten percent of people were proactive in solving the problem, 20 percent were incapacitated or didn't react act at all, with the rest functioning in herd or sheep mentality following whatever they were told or what it seemed everyone else was doing.

I'll try find the study.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Well done indeed. Hope the accident victim was ok. I'm sure you did for the best, but most of us are never prepared for that moment when what you do might really count to save someone's life.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Well done.

At least you know that, in a crisis, you are a doer and not a watcher.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Well done KFH. I’d like to think I’d do the same as you, but one never knows until the moment is upon them.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Why did she swerve and hit the road furniture? was she drunk?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

pczz wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:58 pm Why did she swerve and hit the road furniture? was she drunk?
We've been trying to work it out most of the day and come to the conclusion the cause might be a combination of speed and lack of concentration/focus. She didn't appear to be under the influence of anything, but one isn't trying to determine such things at the time of extraction and care.

My best guess, and my guesses often stink, she was speeding while on her phone texting or similarly not paying attention.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic