Crossing into Vietnam with a Cambodian plated moto?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Thorix
Tourist
Denmark

Crossing into Vietnam with a Cambodian plated moto?

Post by Thorix »

I have searched in this forum before posting and there is tons of info about Vietnamese plated bikes crossing into Cambodia, but I couldn´t find anything about doing it the other way around.

I am planning to cross into Vietnam with my bike as soon as the CoVid situation allows it (1st Jul I believe). Does anybody know what´s the bureaucracy involved here? What is the easiest border to cross? Once in Vietnam, what is the stand of VN cops with KH plated bikes? Could it be possible to drive from Saigon to Ha Noi without having to grease cops at every checkpoint because of this KH plate?

The bike is second hand, therefore it isn´t registered under my name. However, I have all the documents from the owner, his registration card and the letter of sale.

Thanks for shedding light here.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Crossing into Vietnam with a Cambodian plated moto?

Post by lagrange »

Thorix wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:27 pm I have searched in this forum before posting and there is tons of info about Vietnamese plated bikes crossing into Cambodia, but I couldn´t find anything about doing it the other way around.

I am planning to cross into Vietnam with my bike as soon as the CoVid situation allows it (1st Jul I believe). Does anybody know what´s the bureaucracy involved here? What is the easiest border to cross? Once in Vietnam, what is the stand of VN cops with KH plated bikes? Could it be possible to drive from Saigon to Ha Noi without having to grease cops at every checkpoint because of this KH plate?

The bike is second hand, therefore it isn´t registered under my name. However, I have all the documents from the owner, his registration card and the letter of sale.

Thanks for shedding light here.
Just a thought...if you get over to VN with the bike you could buy an old dunger Honda dream off Chotot for $50, change over your plates, and voila.....would traffic cops bother to run a foreigner's plates through the system? Even assuming they actually have a system in the first place. Not that I am advocating illegal behavior of course, just being helpful....
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Crossing into Vietnam with a Cambodian plated moto?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

No problem (I've done it), but I've heard the deeper you go in, the more issues you might encounter.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic