Re: Dengue Fever Outbreaks 2020/21/22 /23 (UPDATED)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dengue Fever Outbreaks 2020/21/22 /23 (UPDATED)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: With the rains comes dengue season; the Ministry of Health has declared 2,172 dengue fever cases in the first 19 weeks of this year as the number of cases continues to rise in the villages, communes and towns of the provinces.
Dengue fever can occur in any age group; it is caused by the Tiger mosquitoes which breed in water, and live no more than 150 meters from their place of birth. This means that it is important to remove all free-standing water around habitations and cut back plants close to the house. Citizens are advised to wear long clothes to protect them from mosquito bites, and not to sit or sleep near stagnant water.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dengue Fever Outbreak 2020

Dengue scare in Kampong Speu not an outbreak, official claims
Khorn Savi | Publication date 25 June 2020 | 21:46 ICT
Official have confirmed that although seven children have been diagnosed with dengue fever at an orphanage in Kampong Speu province, it does not constitute an outbreak. The children had mild dengue fever and are completely cured.

Kampong Speu provincial health department director Or Vanthen told The Post on Thursday that there are 75 children under the age of 10 at the orphanage in Phum 1 Village, Treng Trayoeng commune.

The density raised fears of transmission and an outbreak of the infectious disease.

Vanthen said the seven children were infected because the centre is located near a forest and did not properly store garbage, such as cans or bottles, which can store water during the rainy season, leading to mosquito breeding.

“In Kampong Speu province, there are a few cases. Some villages have only one or two cases. When it happens like in the orphanage, it concerns us and we must take urgent steps to prevent it. We have assigned a team to spray mosquito insecticide in the centre’s area and the village,” he said.

National Dengue Disease Control Programme director Leang Rithy told The Post on Thursday that Kampong Speu provincial health officials had reported the infections as an outbreak of dengue fever.

But after visiting the site, he concluded it was just an isolated case and not an outbreak of the disease.

“Last year we were doing well and keeping people informed and engaged. In 24 weeks there have been only 2,907 dengue cases, 86 per cent fewer than last year. So I wondered why now, which is why I went and checked,” Vathern said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ial-claims
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Dengue rates plummet in Cambodia
Cambodia has seen a sharp drop in dengue cases in the first part of this year compared with 2019

Similarly enjoying a reprieve so far this year are the citizens of Cambodia. Health authorities there reported dengue cases up to May 31 had plummeted from 13,843 in an similar, but six-month-long period of last year, to 2,172 this year.
https://aecnewstoday.com/2020/move-over ... -in-asean/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Just a quick note that a mate of mine and his 5 month old daughter have dengue. They live near Vattanac Tower.

FYI
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Arget wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:21 pm Just a quick note that a mate of mine and his 5 month old daughter have dengue. They live near Vattanac Tower.

FYI
There is dengue, and there is chikungunya, which is also spreading in Cambodia and has similar symptoms. Did your friends get tested ?

As an aside, I had dengue ( I thought) earlier this year, but I never got tested, and then shortly afterwards there was an outbreak of chikungunya in the area.
I'm mentioning this because once you have been infected you can be more or less resistant to dengue or chikungunya, so yeah it's important to know where you stand for future infections.
I didn't do it*, but I urge people to get tested if they think they have dengue or chikungunya, so they will know if they are immune or if they are in more danger from another wave of one of these mosquito viruses.

*It was in the middle of covid panic and I didn't want to go near a hospital. I stayed home and got better, but my point is that it is very useful to know if you have been previously infected in case there is a next time.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:03 pm
Arget wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:21 pm Just a quick note that a mate of mine and his 5 month old daughter have dengue. They live near Vattanac Tower.

FYI
There is dengue, and there is chikungunya, which is also spreading in Cambodia and has similar symptoms. Did your friends get tested ?

As an aside, I had dengue ( I thought) earlier this year, but I never got tested, and then shortly afterwards there was an outbreak of chikungunya in the area.
I'm mentioning this because once you have been infected you can be more or less resistant to dengue or chikungunya, so yeah it's important to know where you stand for future infections.
I didn't do it*, but I urge people to get tested if they think they have dengue or chikungunya, so they will know if they are immune or if they are in more danger from another wave of one of these mosquito viruses.

*It was in the middle of covid panic and I didn't want to go near a hospital. I stayed home and got better, but my point is that it is very useful to know if you have been previously infected in case there is a next time.
You do know that there are four different varieties of dengue right? And having one does not make you immune to the other three.

Also it’s near impossible to get rid of standing water during the rainy season. At least out in the villages anyway. I look out my front door and there are puddles and ponds as far as the eye can see. Out here it’s the jungle. And we hunt the indoor mosquitoes every day with our trusty electric tennis rackets. Love to hear them pop and fry.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yes I do, but there is a major strain of dengue in Cambodia,which means that, even if infected previously in Cambodia, you have a good chance of catching the same genre if you stay in Cambodia. If you go to Africa or elsewhere where the strain is different then you need to be very careful.
I read that chikungunya has only one type, and that once you've had it you're good to go. (See below). That's why I was saying that people should get tested, because it's important to know if you have had dengue, or if you are now immune to chikungunya.
Chikungunya is rarely fatal. Symptoms are generally self-limiting and last for 2–3 days. The virus remains in the human system for 5-7 days and mosquitoes feeding on an infected person during this period can also become infected. Chikungunya shares some clinical signs with dengue and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common.

Chikungunya can be detected using serological tests. Recovery from an infection will confer life-long immunity.
I had all of the following symptoms, but dengue symptoms are more or less the same. You need a blood test to know for sure.
Symptoms
Symptoms appear between 4 and 7 days after the patient has been bitten by the infected mosquito and these include:

High fever (40°C/ 104°F)
Joint pain (lower back, ankle, knees, wrists or phalanges)
Joint swelling
Rash
Headache
Muscle pain
Nausea
Fatigue
https://www.who.int/denguecontrol/arbo- ... ngunya/en/
Because i don't know which one it was, and it could be important, thought I would pass on my experience for others - get tested so you know. I will do it eventually, but I'm avoiding hospitals and clinics right now.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Stiliko wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:03 pm

FYI

You do know that there are four different varieties of dengue right? And having one does not make you immune to the other three.

Also it’s near impossible to get rid of standing water during the rainy season. At least out in the villages anyway. I look out my front door and there are puddles and ponds as far as the eye can see. Out here it’s the jungle. And we hunt the indoor mosquitoes every day with our trusty electric tennis rackets. Love to hear them pop and fry.
Sometimes classified as five different serotypes. I’ve had it twice, definitely sucks worse the second time. Two months later I’ve still got incredible joint pain that nothing will touch. A good friends father died five weeks ago from it.
up to you...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Clemen wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:12 pm Sometimes classified as five different serotypes. I’ve had it twice, definitely sucks worse the second time. Two months later I’ve still got incredible joint pain that nothing will touch. A good friends father died five weeks ago from it.
Ahh, thanks, lightbulb!, maybe that's why I have some aching joints now. I put it down to increasing age and bad lifestyle choices.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Information on some help-yourself protection from dengue and other mosquito-borne viruses :

Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine
Volume 3, Issue 3, March 2010, Pages 173-175
Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine
Effect of common salt on laboratory reared immature stages of Aedes aegypti (L)
To observe the effect of common salt (NaCl) on immature stages of laboratory reared Aedes aegypti (L).
Methods
A laboratory colony of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes of Rajahmundry strain was established in the laboratory of National Institute for Communicable Disease (NICD), Rajahmundry unit at (26 ± 2) °C with relative humidity of (70 ± 10)%. 1.00%, 1.25% and 1.50% solutions of common salt (NaCl) were selected to observe the susceptibility status of immature stages of Aedes aegypti in laboratory.

Results
Fifty percent larvae of Aedes aegypti died within 19, 31 and 48 hours when exposed to 1.50%, 1.25% and 1.00% common salt solution, respectively. Ninety percent of the larvae died within 29, 57 and 108 hours when exposed to the same salt solutions, respectively. Very high pupal mortality was observed varying from 81.8% to 40.0%. Formation of pupae was found inversely proportional in the presence of concentration of common salt in breeding water.

Conclusions
With easy availability, less toxicity and long lasting nature, common salt may be applied in unused containers, especially in junkyards where surveillance mechanism is poor along with other conventional vector control methods in order to control breeding of Aedes aegypti, the vector of dengue/dengue hemorrhagic fever and chikungunya.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4510600028

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic