Discussion to stop use of US $1, $2 and $5 notes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Discussion to stop use if US $1, $2 and $5 notes

Post by Electric Earth »

Yerg wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:39 am Despite my 3 USA trips and couple of years in PP, I’ve never seen nor handled a $2 bill. Before this, if one had been handed to me, I’d have thought it was fake 🤣
Yeah, we don't even use $2 in the states. I'm usually surprised on the rare occasion that I get one as change or something. You can go get them at the bank, though, if you really wanted one for a souvenir or something next time you visit. The only reason they keep them in print is because they say otherwise all of the older $2 would become worth more than $2. They should just ditch them, along with the useless and annoying penny, probably the nickel, and maybe even the dime.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Electric Earth wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:49 am
Yerg wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:39 am Despite my 3 USA trips and couple of years in PP, I’ve never seen nor handled a $2 bill. Before this, if one had been handed to me, I’d have thought it was fake 🤣
Yeah, we don't even use $2 in the states. I'm usually surprised on the rare occasion that I get one as change or something. You can go get them at the bank, though, if you really wanted one for a souvenir or something next time you visit. The only reason they keep them in print is because they say otherwise all of the older $2 would become worth more than $2. They should just ditch them, along with the useless and annoying penny, probably the nickel, and maybe even the dime.

Along with outdated things like Checks / Cheques. Who in their right mind would accept a bit of paper promising to give money when you take it to a bank, when you can get that money directly paid into your bank account using internet banking.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Duncan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:59 am

Along with outdated things like Checks / Cheques. Who in their right mind would accept a bit of paper promising to give money when you take it to a bank, when you can get that money directly paid into your bank account using internet banking.
that's all that cash is too isn't it ?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Username Taken wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 pm very stupid idea UNLESS their trying to get people off the $ to the riel
buy something for $2 and give them a $10 and u get back 32,000 +- reil
If they give back 32,000 riel, that could be 4 notes (3 x 10,000 and 1 x 2,000)

If they give back $8, that could be 4 notes (1 x $5 and 3 x $1)

Where's the problem?
Alternatively give. 20,000 riel note and you are down to 3 riel notes.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 pm Stopping the use of $2 notes is going to have a huge effect. :?

The $2 bill with Jefferson on it is my second favorite. My favorite is the $3 with Clinton on it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Whenever a Cambodian owns a 2$ bill he / she'll keep it for good luck. These hardly circulate in Cambodia.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Bring a bunch over next time. Good way to make Cambodian friends.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Foreigner wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:22 am
Duncan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:59 am

that's all that cash is too isn't it ?
Yes cash. But a slight risk in that cash vs gold or silver. Depends on who backs the promissory debt note.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

National Bank of Cambodia: $1, $2, and $5 Notes to Circulate as Normal
29/05/20 09:12

Phnom Penh (FN), May 28 – National Bank of Cambodia (NBC), on Thursday afternoon, issued a press release stating that the USD 1, USD 2, and USD 5 notes are still circulating in Cambodian market.

The NBC gives a period of three months to banks and micro-finance institutions from 1 June 2020 to 31 August 2020 to bring all the USD 1, USD 2, and USD 5 notes to NBC for exports with free of charge.
=FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

I cant see why they would do this, unless they are running out. how do they get the US cash? is the US buying things by trading them for suitcases of $100 notes?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic