OTJ teaching degree?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Imnotasiain
Expatriate
Australia

OTJ teaching degree?

Post by Imnotasiain »

A while back when schools were still active, a guy from Thailand came to teach at my school for a while. He claimed to have a teaching degree. I asked what college he went to, and he said he didn't go to college. He claimed that he taught at the same school in Thailand for 10 years and was granted a degree through on the job work. Is this a real possibility, or was he just blowing smoke? If it is possible, how does one go about acquiring such paperwork?
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: OTJ teaching degree?

Post by Patcan »

I taught at a Thai government high school from 2002-2011....Foreign teachers without 15 education course creditshad to take a 1 month training course from Asia University at a cost of 7,500 baht. After completion, a certificate was given and you were allowed to teach at govt. schools in Thailand.
Two years later policy changec and that certificate was no longer recognized and guess what?
You were required to take another teacher training course.....this time at the cost of 50,000 baht.
And guess who the course was given by?
Yes... Asia University and the same staff who had given the 1st course.
Maybe he took some sort of teacher training course in Thailand.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

As I know, you need bachelor degree to get a work permit to teach legally in TH.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Chuck Borris wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:03 pm As I know, you need bachelor degree to get a work permit to teach legally in TH.
Thats correct and that bachelor degree can be in any subject. The best English teacher I ever saw had a bachelor degree in bricklaying.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Marty wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:03 pm As I know, you need bachelor degree to get a work permit to teach legally in TH.
Thats correct and that bachelor degree can be in any subject. The best English teacher I ever saw had a bachelor degree in bricklaying.
Agree. Being NES with 2 Mondays one Tuesday TEFL course doesn't make you teacher.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

A diploma or HNC diploma in brick laying yes ,but Bsc I don't think so :lol:
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

can't really see how a degree in 'any subject' makes you an english teacher either?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

God'sGift wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:37 pm can't really see how a degree in 'any subject' makes you an english teacher either?
I dont make up the rules. I just follow them and sometimes break them.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:19 pm
Oops, youre correct, that was at a high school and that dude didnt have a full bachelor degree. But at university another dude had a bachelor degree in welding and he was a brilliant teacher.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Marty wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:06 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:19 pm
Oops, youre correct, that was at a high school and that dude didnt have a full bachelor degree. But at university another dude had a bachelor degree in welding and he was a brilliant teacher.
It would be a Bsc in Welding Engineering actually :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic