VISA ADVICE PLEASE

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

VISA ADVICE PLEASE

Post by MERICAN »

I am a U.S. citizen who returned to the U.S. May 4th. I had lived in Cambodia for many years as a teacher.

I have a valid work permit for 2020; health card and employment letter from my school there.

I am returning to Cambodia soon. I understand that the borders have reopened. It is my understanding that schools are slated to reopen in November (hopefully).

I will have a valid COVID-19 test (document) showing negative results within 72 hours and health insurance for a min of $50,000 for 1 year.

I have plenty of time left on my passport, but I only have 2 blank visa pages left.

Getting a new passport issued in the U.S. is impossible. It simply is not going to happen with the COVID happening. U.S. has suspended printing.

I want to leave the U.S. (another topic) it just isn't for me anymore. I want out... now. Don't want to "wait this out".

My intention is to enter Cambodia and get a 1-month business visa in August or September, and then apply for a 1-year visa before it expires. Keep in mind I will only have 1 page left when applying. I will have a valid work permit, health card and a letter of employment as I mentioned above.

My question is... Can I do this? Will they give me a visa on my last page?

I spoke to the embassy in Phnom Penh who stated they cannot issue passports unless it is for an emergency (and I am exiting the country). They also stated, that they too use U.S. printing companies (if that is the proper term) and will not be able to reissue without a good reason. They can issue a temporary 1 year passport that not everyone accepts, and once again, it is intended for the citizen to leave the country.

If I am able to get the 1-year visa, then I will have adequate time to have a new passport printed, but if not I will be in a bind.

In your collective experience, will I be able to get a 1 month business visa, and then... 5 days later... apply for a 1 year business visa with only 2 visa pages?

You help is appreciated.

-
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Re: VISA ADVICE PLEASE

Post by MERICAN »

As a side note, albeit somewhat unrelated..
I read Topic: Real cost of Corona virus: freedom people talking about airfares..

I can get a one-way ticket to PP from New York for $423.00 and they just gave me a $25 off coupon if I book before the end of the month. Brings it to $ 398 plus bus fare. Not bad considering.

I bought 2 pieces of supermarket pizza and a small bottle of coke yesterday and it totaled out to nearly $9. That's 18 beers lol.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

MERICAN wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:21 pm will I be able to get a 1 month business visa, and then... 5 days later... apply for a 1 year business visa with only 2 visa pages?
Currently Visas on Arrival are suspended - the only way to obtain a Visa is in advance from a Cambodian Embassy, and the DC Embassy Consular Section are currently not even accepting Visa applications. Who knows what the situation will be in August or September though, hopefully they will be issuing VOA's again by then.

With regards to only having 2 pages left - the actual required minimum blank pages to be issued a Cambodian Visa on Arrival is 3. You may be lucky to get issued a VOA with only 2 pages, but not guaranteed. Even if you did manage to get a VOA with only 2 pages that then will only leave 1 blank page and the DoI will NOT issue you an Extension of Stay with only 1 blank page.

Your ONLY option is to obtain a new passport before travelling to Cambodia, or anywhere for that matter. Common sense really, isn't it?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

MERICAN wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:21 pm I am a U.S. citizen who returned to the U.S. May 4th. I had lived in Cambodia for many years as a teacher.

I have a valid work permit for 2020; health card and employment letter from my school there.

I am returning to Cambodia soon. I understand that the borders have reopened. It is my understanding that schools are slated to reopen in November (hopefully).

My question is... Can I do this? Will they give me a visa on my last page?

I spoke to the embassy in Phnom Penh who stated they cannot issue passports unless it is for an emergency (and I am exiting the country). They also stated, that they too use U.S. printing companies (if that is the proper term) and will not be able to reissue without a good reason. They can issue a temporary 1 year passport that not everyone accepts, and once again, it is intended for the citizen to leave the country.

If I am able to get the 1-year visa, then I will have adequate time to have a new passport printed, but if not I will be in a bind.

In your collective experience, will I be able to get a 1 month business visa, and then... 5 days later... apply for a 1 year business visa with only 2 visa pages?

You help is appreciated.

-
I had a similar issue. When was in cambodia summer 2017.. i think that was the year they were voting? forget but remember embassy was closed a few days and my visa was expiring.The first place wouldn't extend visa because had 1 or 2 pages left.

A friend of mine suggested that the old visas on 1 or 2 pages " fell off" due to the glue.. As other people can tell you, this has happens... I guess its taking a chance but if they " fall off" all of a sudden you have an extra page or 2.
I held onto the visas that fell off in case but when i submitted my passport it went thru w/ no problem. Again, this is taking a chance especially since your on a time constraint..if they have questions etc
I am just sharing my experience and it worked. This was while I was in Cambodia already extending a visa
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

I am in that situation now in regards to the 1st page falling off.

My 1st page (from my first ever passport usage and 1st trip to Cambodia) has indeed fallen off due to poor glue and 4 years of heat.
I still have the visa, but there are remnants of the round red stamp and another partial blue stamp on the book page itself.
I was going to try this although it does seem a little improper.

I have a "friend" in the government there I can contact if I am allowed in.
i think I can swing the year if I can get entry.

He isn't a police officer... he actually has a significant 'post' for lack of a better term.

May be waiting out here...
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

Never should of f****** left.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

MERICAN wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:42 am I am in that situation now in regards to the 1st page falling off.

My 1st page (from my first ever passport usage and 1st trip to Cambodia) has indeed fallen off due to poor glue and 4 years of heat.
I still have the visa, but there are remnants of the round red stamp and another partial blue stamp on the book page itself.
I was going to try this although it does seem a little improper.

I have a "friend" in the government there I can contact if I am allowed in.
i think I can swing the year if I can get entry.

He isn't a police officer... he actually has a significant 'post' for lack of a better term.

May be waiting out here...

yes..thats exactly what happened to me!!.. there was remnants of the ink.. like on the corner or something.. thats why i kept the visa in case they thought something improper had happened but it worked and was ok. I had reservations about it but since i kept the old visa that fell off-- i felt more comfortable because it "fell off"... anyway it worked and was good to go. that was my experience
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

had one visa "fall off" back in 2013 or so, i traveled alot back than but NOBODY would place a visa or even stamp on that page...even if i asked them to
if it has happened to you, count that page as used... yea you might get by once but...... I now staple them in

I sympathize for you guys that feel you "need "get somewhere,

just wait for a few months till things simmer down, (and they will)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

MERICAN wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:54 am Never should of f****** left.
Why did you leave?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Even if the visa "falls off", the stamps are still there and the page is considered used. Whilst you may get away with this, it is not guaranteed and not worth the risk.

You are not planning on coming until August or September, I am sure you will be able to get a new passport by then.

Let's be honest - it is stupid and irresponsible to even consider travelling outside of your home country with only 2 blank pages remaining in your passport. Use a bit of common sense, wait until you can get a new passport before travelling abroad. :facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic