The real cost of Coronavirus, freedom.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: The real cost of Coronavirus, freedom.

Post by fazur »

cambo swa wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 am You are equating Cambodia with freedom? Unbelievable. You have to let the government know where you are staying every time you go to a guest house? You can date and marry any women you want irrespective of age? You can buy property or a house? You can live with your girly friend in the province without notifying the police and village chief ($)? You can now enter the country without a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours and $50,000 minimum in health insurance. You can send an email or Facebook criticizing HE or the King? The gendarmes can stop you and search you and your vehicle without probable cause?

Yes, Australia is such a burden on your freedom.
- these are unique circumstances and do not reflect cambodia normally,as we all know
- have you ever booked into a hotel or guesthouse in your own country without providing ID?
- you CAN buy property and a house if you're smart enough to find the right loopholes
- are you here? if so, why?
- try living in italy or india or south africa, all democracies, during lockdown; they are way stricter than here
- gendarmerie royale? searched your car? I doubt it, tbh. they have conducted roadblocks searching for weapons and drugs, iirc but i haven't seen them do this for years.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

None of those things have ever concerned me. I'd imagine Australia is much more difficult place to comply in.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:17 am None of those things have ever concerned me. I'd imagine Australia is much more difficult place to comply in.
the number of aussies ive met here who flock here for the price of cigarettes and liquor and women

every place you live is a trade, pluses must outweigh the negatives

i usually dont comment on cambodian politics never had any serious problems

lots of other countries have less rights and act worse internationally
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:17 am None of those things have ever concerned me. I'd imagine Australia is much more difficult place to comply in.
They give you 20 seconds.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

yep, and try getting a job or rental in the UK without at least 2 or 3 proofs of address, passport, checkable work history, DBS check (Police check) etc.. that can be a nightmare for a long term expat attempting to 'start over' in one's home country
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Try living in kampong thom at any time , there is no place to even get anything really , even a candy bar ( snickers , etc )
Here There is no place to eat unless you don’t admit to the missionaries your true feelings ( like George Carlin would ) about god

Hot , dirty , overpriced and a true outpost ... very bad luck to fall for someone from here
I am actually surprised they have electricity , but hey . Wherever the werd perk Came from , they have one here !
Intmittet Lectric , not a good chef in any of the fancy new hotels ,
At least coke is still cola and there ain’t no bad joints
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic