The real cost of Coronavirus, freedom.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: The real cost of Coronavirus, freedom.

Post by atst »

Many things about this pandemic and the government actions don't add up, they are inconsistent giving people the feeling there is something else going on, and restrictions plus tracking peoples movements is somewhat worrying.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I'm getting frustrated only looking at my girlfriend though the phone these last 3 months, she's home alone in the provence scared every night.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 pm Of course I'm trolling, but no more than the OP is. He willingly went back and now complains he feels it's restricted in his daily activities. Now he's done a 360 and says "who's complaining". Well, you are/were...
I'm not complaning just frustrated with the lack of information given by my government I returned on the pretense that we needed to flattening the curve of infection now if feels like we are waiting on a vaccine that may never come.

And just to add you seem like an massive drop kick.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 pm Of course I'm trolling, but no more than the OP is. He willingly went back and now complains he feels it's restricted in his daily activities. Now he's done a 360 and says "who's complaining". Well, you are/were...
I'm not complaning just frustrated with the lack of information given by my government I returned on the pretense that we needed to flattening the curve of infection now if feels like we are waiting on a vaccine that may never come.

Ar you serious?
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 pm I'm not complaning just frustrated with the lack of information given by my government
Of course in Cambodia we're all very satisfied with the complete and transparent communication from the government here. WHenver we call someone we don't hear a ringtone, but a Khmer voice shouting:

We work together
To fight COVID-19 (in Khmer)

You're right. When it comes to information you made the wrong choice. :stir:

But, face it. You chose safety three months back. Safety always comes at a price. Usually boredom. Sometimes worse.
Others took the risk and stayed in Cambodia. For some that worked out fine, for some it made things worse. That's life. You choose, and you either win some, or lose one.

But what did you expect? They would 'flatten the curve' for a month and than go back to normal? Flattening the curve will take years if there's no vaccine or a paradigm change.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 am

Ar you serious?
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 pm I'm not complaning just frustrated with the lack of information given by my government
Of course in Cambodia we're all very satisfied with the complete and transparent communication from the government here. WHenver we call someone we don't hear a ringtone, but a Khmer voice shouting:

We work together

But, face it. You chose safety three months back. Safety always comes at a price. Usually boredom. Sometimes worse.
Others took the risk and stayed in Cambodia. For some that worked out fine, for some it made things worse. That's life. You choose, and you either win some, or lose one.

But what did you expect? They would 'flatten the curve' for a month and than go back to normal? Flattening the curve will take years if there's no vaccine or a paradigm change.
I had to go to travel to Australia to get my affairs in order not to run home to "Mommy and Daddy or for free healthcare or paychecks" as you said.

And yes I am serious you come off as a massive bell end.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:47 am

Ar you serious?

We work together

I had to go to travel to Australia to get my affairs in order not to run home to "Mommy and Daddy or for free healthcare or paychecks" as you said.

First, I did not say that. But no offense. I did say I think it's a bit pathetic to go back to the safety of your home country and then complain about being bored. Still think that.

Second, any reply given at that time was a reply to:
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 pm I traveled back to Australia mid March to ride out the pandemic
'Ride out the pandemic' and 'getting my affairs in order' are two different things.

I understand things back home are tough, and boring, and there's lack of information etc etc. But it's not much different here, except maybe there's less movement restrictions. But here people lost their jobs too, schools are closed so people are making the best schooling at home, borders are basically closed and if the pandemic kicks of here in rainy season we're fucked and you'll be happy you're not around.

You made the choice to leave just before the pandemic. I made the choice to fly back from Thailand just before the pandemic. We all chose one way or another, and hoped we made the best decision. In your case maybe you didn't. That sucks.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:07 am
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:47 am

Ar you serious?

We work together

First, I did not say that. But no offense. I did say I think it's a bit pathetic to go back to the safety of your home country and then complain about being bored. Still think that.

Second, any reply given at that time was a reply to:
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:52 pm I traveled back to Australia mid March to ride out the pandemic
'Ride out the pandemic' and 'getting my affairs in order' are two different things.

I understand things back home are tough, and boring, and there's lack of information etc etc. But it's not much different here, except maybe there's less movement restrictions. But here people lost their jobs too, schools are closed so people are making the best schooling at home, borders are basically closed and if the pandemic kicks of here in rainy season we're fucked and you'll be happy you're not around.

You made the choice to leave just before the pandemic. I made the choice to fly back from Thailand just before the pandemic. We all chose one way or another, and hoped we made the best decision. In your case maybe you didn't. That sucks.
okay mate sorry i thought you were the user that made insulting post
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

You are equating Cambodia with freedom? Unbelievable. You have to let the government know where you are staying every time you go to a guest house? You can date and marry any women you want irrespective of age? You can buy property or a house? You can live with your girly friend in the province without notifying the police and village chief ($)? You can now enter the country without a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours and $50,000 minimum in health insurance. You can send an email or Facebook criticizing HE or the King? The gendarmes can stop you and search you and your vehicle without probable cause?

Yes, Australia is such a burden on your freedom.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yes my post was insulting and I apologize for its brashness, but I'm with kammekor on this one. You made a decision, be it right or wrong at the time, and are now frustrated with its direct and indirect outcomes. Your original premise wasn't that of urgently needing to deal with business back home, but implied someone wanting the health care facilities and safety net of Australia.

The truth is, the situation isn't perfect anywhere. Had you been here, you'd have had a bit more freedom to move/congregate all you want (old dudes mingle every morning at the corner coffee shops), but then your affairs in Australia might be in shambles and you might have complained about that. Some governments took action better than others.

Either way, I agree that this whole thing is a bit nuts. I'm more worried about the long-term restrictions in freedom as this becomes the new norm (even if a vaccine is developed). A bit like how 9/11 changed things forever. We'll see I guess...

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, everyone is affected by this one way or another, some have lost loved ones, and its not over yet either, where ever you are try to make the most of it, I know I said to myself first thing this morning "shit another day wasted out of my life doing nothing" wish I was someplace else, anywhere.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic