Mexico, an alternative?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Mexico, an alternative?

Post by Longhaul12 »

Hi all,

With restrictions in most parts of the world beginning to ease, I’m thinking of where would be a great place to visit next. Having travelled throughout SEA more than a handful of times, I’m thinking of possible alternative destinations.

I’m thinking Mexico, considering it also has great weather and great cuisine, the language being a bit easier to grasp and the seemingly warm and friendly people. The ladies also seem to have a warm nature and are easy to engage.

For those who have been to this part of the world, what are your opinions on this and the place in general? What are your experiences? Or can you offer any further insight?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Mexico, an alternative?

Post by Marty »

I would say to ask No Joke Howard but going there got him killed. Theres a death squad in every village and town.
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Longhaul12 »

Death squad? Is this for the narco traffickers?
Surely not something a general tourist or English teacher would need to worry about?

Ps. The NJH jokes (bit ironic aha) are a bit old and done.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Mexico central and South America are great. Do your research on where to go.
You could do an interesting trip in Mexico between Guadalajara and San Cristobal seeing the amazing towns and cities in between. Etc.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Longhaul12 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 pm Death squad? Is this for the narco traffickers?
Surely not something a general tourist or English teacher would need to worry about?

Ps. The NJH jokes (bit ironic aha) are a bit old and done.
Well Ok dont believe me, but every Spanish colony is similarly violent. In Cambodia life is cheap but in the colonies nobody gives a fugg about anything.
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Longhaul12 »

Not about believing or not, I’m grateful for the input. I asked if it’s something everybody should be concerned about or is it more for those on cocaine, prescription and alcohol benders?
Yes life seems relatively cheap in Cambodia but how does it compare? Cambodia also only has 1/8th of the population.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I love Mexico, my last trip there was in the Yucatan and Quintana Roo. The food is fantastic, the scenery stunning. Stay out of Cancun unless you love Florida, and it's all good. Merida is great for a colonial city, Laguna Bacalar if you want great beaches and Cenotes.
Baja is amazing from the Catavina boulder fields to baia de Los Angeles, if you like the stark beauty of Death Valley you'll love baja.
N.B. I was killed multiple times, it's incredibly dangerous, I'm writing this from beyond the grave. Marty, have you even been to Mexico?
up to you...
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

I’ve got three friends living in various spots in Mexico, and they all like it. Nary a murder in sight and they are all single women. Without even a dog to protect them as at least I do.

I think the danger of Mexico is greatly overrated if you haven't got any connection to anything narco.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Mexico is great as long as you use some common sense and do a little research about where you're going. Those are things you should be doing no matter where you go. I'd also Highly recommend Costa Rica. I've dreamed of doing a long trip from Mexico, down the west coast to Chile, and back the east coast.

Since you mentioned teaching English, I assume you've done the research and know that those who teach there say it's very difficult to get by on a teachers salary. But just in case you haven't already researched that, be sure to look into it.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Longhaul12 »

Clemen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm I love Mexico, my last trip there was in the Yucatan and Quintana Roo. The food is fantastic, the scenery stunning. Stay out of Cancun unless you love Florida, and it's all good. Merida is great for a colonial city, Laguna Bacalar if you want great beaches and Cenotes.
Baja is amazing from the Catavina boulder fields to baia de Los Angeles, if you like the stark beauty of Death Valley you'll love baja.
N.B. I was killed multiple times, it's incredibly dangerous, I'm writing this from beyond the grave. Marty, have you even been to Mexico?
Thank you! Plenty of things to keep me searching for the time being.
Obviously need to go and see for myself but other than the obvious talks of violence, I continue to hear so many great things.
Maybe a case of get busy livin’ or get busy die’n! Haha
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic