Mexico, an alternative?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Mexico, an alternative?

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Mexico is beautiful food is great . Central America is more fascinating. And South America is better and Cheaper.
As long as you stick to the main sights and don't venture down dodgy streets you'll be fine. Again do your research.
I think SE Asia is great but Latin America is more western and Spanish is easy to learn the basics.
More to the point if you have the chance you should travel in these places before you make a decision or at least live in Mexico a while before moving South. My point being things get better and mostly cheaper.
Peru has amazing Culturall History too and great food....Latin America is pretty amazing but SE Asia does have that more laid back kind of vibe for the most part which is why it's also attractive...to a point...
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

been mexico twice, just a couple of party holidays to Cancun for a couple of weeks each time, great place, been craving another holiday there lately myself
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Clemen wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:54 pm
Marty wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:56 pm
Clemen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm I love Mexico, my last trip there was in the Yucatan and Quintana Roo. The food is fantastic, the scenery stunning. Stay out of Cancun unless you love Florida, and it's all good. Merida is great for a colonial city, Laguna Bacalar if you want great beaches and Cenotes.
Baja is amazing from the Catavina boulder fields to baia de Los Angeles, if you like the stark beauty of Death Valley you'll love baja.
N.B. I was killed multiple times, it's incredibly dangerous, I'm writing this from beyond the grave. Marty, have you even been to Mexico?
Yes a few times. Its generally safe if you avoid the narcotics trade and avoid places like Juarez. Totally awesome food everywhere. Helps very much if you know some Spanish.
Well, is it "generally safe", or is it like this "Theres a death squad in every village and town."?
Oh the death squads are definitely there. It is an unusual place in that they routinely find several decapitated bodies at a time. If you avoid narcotics trafficking and Juarez and you will avoid most of the death squads. As a bonus Mexican bootys are rounder and plumper than SE Asian bootys.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Mexico is just like any other country in the world. There are good places and bad. I have not been to South America, but I've done a lot of research and have many friends and acquaintances that go annually or so. They always rave about how great the countries are.

Go for it, you can always leave it it's not your cup of tea.
Marty wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:35 pm I would say to ask No Joke Howard but going there got him killed. Theres a death squad in every village and town.
:lol: those two statements couldn't be any further from the truth!! hahaha

He died legit from a heart attack. And to say there is a hit squad in every village and town tells me you've never spent time there.
Still here, in country...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when i lived in ca used to travel there often,baja an mainland, after university lived and taught classes in Photography at the art institute in in San Miguel de Allende
one of my favorite places is Guaymas

wonderful country, food and people

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ravensnest wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:35 pm Mexico is just like any other country in the world. There are good places and bad.
Most countries don't regularly have mass graves being discovered and dozens of decapitated heads turning up under bridges. Mexico is a purely evil place, ever since the Aztecs. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Before we all book our tickets...

Cemeteries braced for surge in Covid-19 dead as Mexico readies to reopen

The president says the pandemic has been tamed but experts, and those who must bury the dead, fear an alarming rise in cases

Yet as Mexico’s daily death toll rises to become one of the highest in the world – a record 501 fatalities were reported on Tuesday alone – the country is simultaneously preparing to reopen and weathering a politically charged battle over the true scale of the crisis.

“We’re doing well, the pandemic has been tamed,” Mexico’s populist president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, claimed on Thursday as he announced he would resume touring the country when a period of nationwide quarantine was wound down next week.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... n-covid-19
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:43 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:35 pm Mexico is just like any other country in the world. There are good places and bad.
Most countries don't regularly have mass graves being discovered and dozens of decapitated heads turning up under bridges. Mexico is a purely evil place, ever since the Aztecs. 8)
spoken from a true historian :stir: :popcorn:
Still here, in country...
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hunter8 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:08 am
I want to give you 10 karma points for that hunter. Send me your details and I will do a karmabank to karmabank transfer.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic