Mexico, an alternative?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Re: Mexico, an alternative?

Post by oldfatbarang »

Panama,Costa Rica,Ecuador,Colombia are all good places to visit.
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Longhaul12 »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:21 pm Mexico is great as long as you use some common sense and do a little research about where you're going. Those are things you should be doing no matter where you go. I'd also Highly recommend Costa Rica. I've dreamed of doing a long trip from Mexico, down the west coast to Chile, and back the east coast.

Since you mentioned teaching English, I assume you've done the research and know that those who teach there say it's very difficult to get by on a teachers salary. But just in case you haven't already researched that, be sure to look into it.
Seems many places are difficult to get by on a basic teachers salary unless working for a great school. Appreciate the advice, my plan is to use it for just some petty cash in the hope of extending the time I can travel!
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Think of the cocaine and black tar heroin that will be at your disposal.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I was in Mexico City in March when this shitshow started. I really enjoyed it there and never felt threatened. People were very nice.

Mexico is now the only country in the world that has no air travel restrictions. If you are already in the country, you will likely benefit from the lifting of travels restrictions of neighbouring countries too, if they start locally, i.e. South American and/or Central American countries first.

If Cambodia doesn't relax it's rules within the next 3 months I will head back to CDMX to carry on where I left off.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Clemen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm I love Mexico, my last trip there was in the Yucatan and Quintana Roo. The food is fantastic, the scenery stunning. Stay out of Cancun unless you love Florida, and it's all good. Merida is great for a colonial city, Laguna Bacalar if you want great beaches and Cenotes.
Baja is amazing from the Catavina boulder fields to baia de Los Angeles, if you like the stark beauty of Death Valley you'll love baja.
N.B. I was killed multiple times, it's incredibly dangerous, I'm writing this from beyond the grave. Marty, have you even been to Mexico?
Yes a few times. Its generally safe if you avoid the narcotics trade and avoid places like Juarez. Totally awesome food everywhere. Helps very much if you know some Spanish.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 pm I was in Mexico City in March when this shitshow started. I really enjoyed it there and never felt threatened. People were very nice.

Mexico is now the only country in the world that has no air travel restrictions. If you are already in the country, you will likely benefit from the lifting of travels restrictions of neighbouring countries too, if they start locally, i.e. South American and/or Central American countries first.

If Cambodia doesn't relax it's rules within the next 3 months I will head back to CDMX to carry on where I left off.
Following.

Been in SEA almost 10 years. But, SEA overall is getting frustrating up to and including the virus scare. Mexico has been tempting me for 3-4 years now. Sure is a lot closer to Central Canada. Then a couple I've known for decades, who built a lovely house on Canada's Atlantic Coast with flower and vegetable gardens over five years ago, just informed me they're selling their beautiful university town house and moving to Mexico. Yeah, the weather! But OK, the weather. For me, those 19-hour one-stop flights are possibly the worst thing about residing in SEA.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

A friend who used to live here now lives in Columbia and loves it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Marty wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:56 pm
Clemen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm I love Mexico, my last trip there was in the Yucatan and Quintana Roo. The food is fantastic, the scenery stunning. Stay out of Cancun unless you love Florida, and it's all good. Merida is great for a colonial city, Laguna Bacalar if you want great beaches and Cenotes.
Baja is amazing from the Catavina boulder fields to baia de Los Angeles, if you like the stark beauty of Death Valley you'll love baja.
N.B. I was killed multiple times, it's incredibly dangerous, I'm writing this from beyond the grave. Marty, have you even been to Mexico?
Yes a few times. Its generally safe if you avoid the narcotics trade and avoid places like Juarez. Totally awesome food everywhere. Helps very much if you know some Spanish.
Well, is it "generally safe", or is it like this "Theres a death squad in every village and town."?
up to you...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:31 pm A friend who used to live here now lives in Columbia and loves it.
That was my next stop, Medellin. It seems to be a beautiful country to explore with mountains, lush stuff, big cities, good coastline and resorts etc and a much nicer climate. Seems much more interesting than, dare I say it, Cambodia seems right now. That's why I made the effort to haul my ass out of PP and take a look.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Medellin is absolutely fantastic. It is roughly the same price as living in Cambodia, but with perfect weather and the best looking women in latin America.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic