Racism in Everyday Life...

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Racism in Everyday Life...

Post by Yerg »

For context, I just watched a movie about British Nationalism, sad but true. And it got me to thinking about both casual and aggressive racism. And as we are a bunch of expats who travel the world (generally speaking) I’d really love to hear your stories about the racism you’ve experienced. Both that aimed at you and that aimed at those we all enjoy interacting with.

I’ll start. I worked for many years in the Middle East. An acquaintance visited me for a holiday. I’m not even sure if he’s ever holidayed abroad before.

We were at a brunch. Plenty of food. Plenty of booze. A few jars in, he casually mentions that all Arabs are terrorists. At the table with a few Local friends of mine. It was embarrassing to say the least.

I’d appreciate if you have any more cringe-inducing stories to share. I honestly nearly died of shame that day.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Racism in Everyday Life...

Post by Khmu Nation »

What was the name of the movie? I would like to watch it.

I have been watching some racist streams of Youtube in the last few months. Except they don't call themselves 'racists' they are 'ethno nationalists' who 'don't hate other cultures but just want to preserve their own national identity' apparently. They claim Britain will be a majority muslim country by 2060, they believe there is a left wing media agenda to destroy Europe, they call mosques 'castles' and believe muslims have a collective agenda to take over Europe.

Consequently these ethno nats want enforced deportation of all immigrants when they get into power; initially offering people a cash payment carrot on a stick to leave ($12,000 a person) and if that isn't accepted they will get rid of the carrot and use the stick. They talk of banning halal meat, refusing benefits and health services to all non British non whites, vastly increasing the authority and power of government and go all the way to deportation camps and at the extreme end, all out race war and ethnic cleansing. They also spend a lot of time on nostalgia and show pics of Britian in the 1950s like it was some sort of white utopia.

One of the streamers lives in PP with a Khmer girlfriend yet he doesn't see the irony or hypocracy in the fact that he too is an immigrant. He also lives close to S21 so is surely aware of the endgame of radical political policies. If he were to have a mixed race kid with the woman he would go against his ideals as well.

They drive me nuts and I have stopped watching them as it is so depressing, petty and toxic. Life is too short for all of that in my opinion. They also assume anyone who isn't with them is some woke multi culturalist pussyo. That isn't true in my case.

I understand patriotism in terms of following your country in sports and in my case, being British, I am aware of our contribution to 20th Century music and culture and our brilliance at inventing sports and a few other characteristics that are good. But that is about the extent of it. If the UK comes a muslim country by 2060 so be it. Things are always changing. Being a libertarian who is anti state, anti welfare and believes in as little government as possible there authoritarian views also disgust me. Vile, negative, regressive and toxic.

If these people get a head of steam then we are in for chaos.

In every day life the only 'racism' I have experienced is getting over charged in shops and for services in Vietnam. And I didn't have a problem with that anyway. Totally understandable.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Having travelled to over 70 countries, I'd say with some confidence that the UK is the least racist and most tolerant and inclusive country in the world.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I agree and our tolerance is another thing that might make me feel 'patriotic'. But if these ethno nats get a head of steam that will totally change. They claim there numbers are getting bigger every day and ethnic cleansing is an inevitability.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I lived in a small town in rural Japan for 5 years early 2000s. Many of the Western English teachers would quickly develop a negative attitude towards many aspects of Japanese people and culture. General conformity, lack of initiative and critical thinking were common complaints.

The complaints struck me as quite ethnocentric and frankly rude towards the Japanese.

(As an American myself, I had many of the same observations of Japanese behavior but also balanced it with all the great things about life in Japan.)
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Yerg wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 am For context, I just watched a movie about British Nationalism, sad but true. And it got me to thinking about both casual and aggressive racism. And as we are a bunch of expats who travel the world (generally speaking) I’d really love to hear your stories about the racism you’ve experienced. Both that aimed at you and that aimed at those we all enjoy interacting with.

I’ll start. I worked for many years in the Middle East. An acquaintance visited me for a holiday. I’m not even sure if he’s ever holidayed abroad before.

We were at a brunch. Plenty of food. Plenty of booze. A few jars in, he casually mentions that all Arabs are terrorists. At the table with a few Local friends of mine. It was embarrassing to say the least.

I’d appreciate if you have any more cringe-inducing stories to share. I honestly nearly died of shame that day.
Hold on, so you're trying to say that all Arabs aren't terrorists?! News to me! :assasin:

(sorry couldn't resist)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I have spent most of my life as a foreigner and there has always been a bit of racism going on, depending on how you would define where racism starts (higher prices, people talking badly within earshot; not realising that you understand, etc.). I generally lose no sleep over it.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:59 amIf the UK comes a muslim country by 2060 so be it.
Frankly, this doesn't sound desirable to me.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

It's not desirable I agree. But it is what it is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic