Salaries Cut and Job Losses (list of schools in Phnom Penh)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Re: Salaries Cut and Job Losses (list of schools in Phnom Penh)

Post by Cambo Dear »

It's so so sad, and the beginning of a global economic Armageddon. At least in Cambodia there is a willingness, driven by need, to return to normality and get the money flowing again. In the west, apple-shaped women and gelatinous men are emerging from the best 10 weeks of their sad lives, with nearly full pay packets, heralding themselves as heroes for having done nothing. They will spin this out for as long as possible, aided by teachers on full pay who are refusing to return to work until it is 'safe'. A recovery here will take decades; Cambodia should bounce back relatively quickly.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Resources for Teaching English Online
http://www.goodairlanguage.com
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Ravensnest wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:17 pm My concern about teaching online is what will I do for visas?
Move. I'm not a teacher but I've been working entirely online for the past couple of years and so far the only negative aspect of it has been dealing with the ever changing visa bullshit, so we're moving. A bunch of people I work with (from all over the world) have moved to Georgia due to easy visas for western digital nomads, legal personal possession of weed, and apparently friendly people. We're currently assessing our options, but the bottom line is there are now a few countries set up to allow visas for foreigners working online, and Cambodia isn't one of them.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

kritsana77 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:15 pm
God'sGift wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:07 pm boy, it's kind of depressing this thread

I mean who really wants to go to a 'fun' destination just to have to sit in their room all day looking at a laptop?
It is a great job. Have you ever had to sit around a Thai school all day long and get paid peanuts. I love the flexibility and make more money.
sure, I've worked in schools - some classes can be bad but on the whole, it's fairly enjoyable due to the social contact with students and other staff.

Take that away and one just becomes a computer geek sitting in their room all day
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

FYI: Just been scanning bongthom.com for work and noted that around 4 new schools have adverts for teaching vacancies, if anybody is hunting today.

I'd rather drink the shit rivers flow than teach, but I understand some of you masochistic fuckheads like teaching so...
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Bubble T wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:04 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:17 pm My concern about teaching online is what will I do for visas?
Move. I'm not a teacher but I've been working entirely online for the past couple of years and so far the only negative aspect of it has been dealing with the ever changing visa bullshit, so we're moving. A bunch of people I work with (from all over the world) have moved to Georgia due to easy visas for western digital nomads, legal personal possession of weed, and apparently friendly people. We're currently assessing our options, but the bottom line is there are now a few countries set up to allow visas for foreigners working online, and Cambodia isn't one of them.
Good tips, thanks. I'm getting my documents together to apply for online teaching for the moment. I'll worry about visa's in 6 months when mine expire.
Still here, in country...
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Ministry announced on wednesday that khmer grade 6 and 9 exams will take place online at the end of august.
That tells me schools will not open until september at the very earliest.
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

Heres an update to what I'm hearing from many schools.

Westline - Cut majority of expat teachers, kept the Khmer English teachers.
Abundant Life - Cut nearly half the teachers, remaining teachers only given a 3 month contract.

Many other schools have started to rehire. Word is second phase will happen in September. Have any schools gone bankrupt?
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Josideb wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:14 am Heres an update to what I'm hearing from many schools.

Westline - Cut majority of expat teachers, kept the Khmer English teachers.
Abundant Life - Cut nearly half the teachers, remaining teachers only given a 3 month contract.

Many other schools have started to rehire. Word is second phase will happen in September. Have any schools gone bankrupt?
Private schools can open september if they follow protocol
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Cambo Dear wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 pm It's so so sad, and the beginning of a global economic Armageddon. At least in Cambodia there is a willingness, driven by need, to return to normality and get the money flowing again. In the west, apple-shaped women and gelatinous men are emerging from the best 10 weeks of their sad lives, with nearly full pay packets, heralding themselves as heroes for having done nothing. They will spin this out for as long as possible, aided by teachers on full pay who are refusing to return to work until it is 'safe'. A recovery here will take decades; Cambodia should bounce back relatively quickly.
Say what now? Most of Europe is kind of getting back to normal. Same in North America. People have pretty much stopped giving a flying fuck about a virus that infects and kills less than 1% of the population. "Apple-shaped women and gelatinous men"? Where do you come from? Nebraska? Full pay packets for everybody? Are you sure about that? Heralding as heroes? Who? When? How?
There are teachers on full pay that are teaching online, every day, 8 hours a day (that does not include grading assignments). They are not willing to physically return to work since asking kids to follow social distancing and to wear their masks is practically impossible. Heard of Herman Cain? The coon that went to Trump's Tulsa Rally? No?

A recovery anywhere will take decades. Cambodia will not bounce back relatively quickly. Inform yourself and you'll see that Cambodia was already in the red BEFORE the pandemic started.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic