Places in the world that ARE open.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Places in the world that ARE open.

Post by Doc67 »

This is a list that should grow over the coming weeks and months and may provide some alternatives to Cambodia until they get real with their entry requirements.

Greece...open now...

Greece resumes island ferry services in bid to salvage summer tourist season

Greece has restarted regular ferry services to its islands, and cafes and restaurants are also back open for business as the country accelerates efforts to salvage its summer tourism season.

Travel to the islands had been generally off-limits since a lockdown was imposed in late March to halt the spread of coronvirus, with only goods suppliers and permanent residents allowed access.

But the country’s low infection rate in the Covid-19 pandemic prompted the government to start the holiday season three weeks earlier than the expected June 15 date, as other Mediterranean countries — including Italy, Spain and Turkey — grapple with deadlier outbreaks.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/gr ... spartandhp
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Places in the world that ARE open.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Watching this one with interest.

Edited to ad.....The Spanish Prime Minister has said that if the situation with COVID-19 does not deteriorate by July, the country will reopen its borders to international tourists from July 1.

https://www.buzz.ie/travel/spain-reopen ... uly-370320
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Mon May 25, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Spain too, from July...

Flights should be back by then as well.

Spain will reopen to overseas tourists from July, the prime minister has announced, pledging that the government will guarantee the safety of visitors and locals as the country emerges from one of Europe’s strictest coronavirus lockdowns.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -from-july
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:15 pm Watching this one with interest.

The Spanish Prime Minister has said that if the situation with COVID-19 does not deteriorate by July, the country will reopen its borders to international tourists from July 1.

https://www.buzz.ie/travel/spain-reopen ... uly-370320
Italy is going to follow suit. I think most of the Med countries will open up around July, they want to salvage at least some of their high season. What is needed now is for the FCO to change it's travel advice otherwise no travel insurance will be valid and also to dump the nonsense quarantine requirements on return. To be honest, even if they don't, I'll still go, and at least the flights wont be too busy.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

I assume SEA countries are waiting for others to open to follow suit. Question is would they rather follow Europe-US or China-Japan-Korea in how soon it happens.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I am not sure I understand: Greece is open how? You can take a ferry to the islands but can you actually enter the country?
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

hanno wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm I am not sure I understand: Greece is open how? You can take a ferry to the islands but can you actually enter the country?
Was just going to post this in reply to Doc.

I've not seen anything about Greece opening the airports before June 15. Noone has been able to travel to the islands from within Greece since the end of March so I think (but could be wrong) it's just that they've changed for now.

Flights to Athens are due to start on 15 June and to the islands on 1 July (as things stand I think there are only flights from Germany).

Italy is opening up in the first week of June, but maybe only to Shenghen ccountries.

Brits have suddenly started turning up in Algarve since the weekend, and everything is pretty much back to normal here. I suspect there's no issue with getting into Lisbon, but can't find confirmation either way. I came during the height of the state of emergency though and got in fine.

Croatia is due to open up shortly I believe. Slovenia is already allowing tourists, but don't think there's any flights.

Think a lot of places will be open mid June maybe including Cyprus.

Reckon this 14 day UK quarantine's going to be a farce and will be finished by the end of June. Just my hunch.
Veorj
Tourist
Marshall Islands

Post by Veorj »

🇳🇱 Netherlands has it's borders already open to EU travellers, although you will have to self-quarantine if travelling from a 'high risk' area. (No certificate needed)
🇮🇸 Iceland will open borders to EU travellers on or before 15th June.
🇬🇷 Greece opens borders to EU travellers on July 1st.
🇪🇸 Spain opens borders to EU travellers on July 1st.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

Veorj wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:57 am 🇳🇱 Netherlands has it's borders already open to EU travellers, although you will have to self-quarantine if travelling from a 'high risk' area. (No certificate needed)
🇮🇸 Iceland will open borders to EU travellers on or before 15th June.
🇬🇷 Greece opens borders to EU travellers on July 1st.
🇪🇸 Spain opens borders to EU travellers on July 1st.
Greece announced 15 June a few days ago. Now seems to be an undefined date between 15 June and 1 July ?

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/g ... om-july-1/
Bernie Bro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bernie Bro »

I've been following this stuff pretty closely. There is a massive amount of contradicting information. Countless journalists looking for a story seem to be competing in who can give you incorrect info in a more cavalier way. Embassy websites obviously have the best info. But I'm quite sure that even they are getting it wrong occasionally!

It seems Greece is opening to travellers from Europe between June 15 and July 1. They expect to allow other international travellers in July---most likely early July? They are supposedly putting out a list later this month of countries that will not be included because of their situation with the virus. It's been said many times that there will be no test or quarantine, as crazy as that sounds.

Spain is coming up just behind Greece. Or at the same time perhaps. Less detail available.

What I want to know about Iceland is if one ends up having to do self isolation there, will it be in a designated facility free of charge, or with a modest daily fee? Or will it be in a hotel room at some crazy cost such as $50 - $100 or more per night?

I'd really love to know when the hostels open up in the U.K? Supposedly budget accomodations will be the first to open up in July there. Where I am, motels and hotels are deemed essential. Not there? Or perhaps it's just the hostels closed in both places. Oh, they've just introduced 14 day quarantine or self isolation for arrivals there haven't they?

Turkey is enthusiastic about opening. July again? I might recall that they're also doing a list?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic