Is Your Landlord Giving You a Coronavirus Discount on your Rent ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is Your Landlord Giving You a Coronavirus Discount on your Rent ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

It seems that some understanding landlords are giving rent reductions due to the coronavirus lack of income. This was posted on Siem Reap facebook page today. Does anyone else have a landlord like this ?
Being the only foreigner in a 10 unit accommodation off Wat Polanka Rd, I give a shout out to our landlord, who after consultation with tenants, reduced the monthly rental by 14%.during this time of hardship for the locals. He is much respected here by all and deservedly so.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
reflexline
Expatriate

Re: Is Your Landlord Giving You a Coronavirus Discount on your Rent ?

Post by reflexline »

My landlord offered a 20% discount when I told them that I was ending my contract.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

I've had my income reduced so I asked my landlord to reduce the rent, she said no. I told her I was going to leave then she gave me a $50 discount per month until I can go back to working full time.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

My landlady dropped it from $250 to $200. I didn't ask her. She just let me know when I went to pay the rent. It's not a lot, but every little bit helps, and I appreciate that she did it. She's a nice lady, who has always taken care of everything very promptly.

If anyone is looking for a place, I'll be moving in a couple weeks and could pass along your info. It's in Siem Reap, right by Hwy 6 and Wat Bo Rd, just a few blocks from the river.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

No discount here - but they are quite flexible about payment dates, so happy where we are.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm No discount here - but they are quite flexible about payment dates, so happy where we are.
My landlord is working with me- but my pay has been cut by 50%. I need to find another avenue of income.
Still here, in country...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:41 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm No discount here - but they are quite flexible about payment dates, so happy where we are.
My landlord is working with me- but my pay has been cut by 50%. I need to find another avenue of income.
I left my last gig like 6 months ago. Obviously didn't know corona was coming!

Cash definitely being spent more wisely than last year.
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

At the end of February my lease expired in TTP. I told the condo manager since I felt COV 19 might affect my job I wanted to go month to month. At the end of March I met the owner and she offered a 20 dollar discount. Around the third week of April I contacted the owner and told her I am moving. The condo is too expensive for me now unless she could offer me a substantial discount. My rent was 420 now it is 250 (about 40 percent) . I was nice about it but honest.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

kritsana77 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 pm At the end of February my lease expired in TTP. I told the condo manager since I felt COV 19 might affect my job I wanted to go month to month. At the end of March I met the owner and she offered a 20 dollar discount. Around the third week of April I contacted the owner and told her I am moving. The condo is too expensive for me now unless she could offer me a substantial discount. My rent was 420 now it is 250 (about 40 percent) . I was nice about it but honest.
That's damn nice of her.
Still here, in country...
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Ravensnest wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:52 pm
kritsana77 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 pm At the end of February my lease expired in TTP. I told the condo manager since I felt COV 19 might affect my job I wanted to go month to month. At the end of March I met the owner and she offered a 20 dollar discount. Around the third week of April I contacted the owner and told her I am moving. The condo is too expensive for me now unless she could offer me a substantial discount. My rent was 420 now it is 250 (about 40 percent) . I was nice about it but honest.
That's damn nice of her.
Being polite goes a long way. I guess she realized this is a bad time to start looking for another tenant.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic