Is Your Landlord Giving You a Coronavirus Discount on your Rent ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Re: Is Your Landlord Giving You a Coronavirus Discount on your Rent ?

Post by Bibi »

I asked for a 40% discount from April until July and my landlord kindly agreed. They are good people taking good care of the appartment maintenance and security.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I think the higher the rent, the greater the reduction and I mean in percentage terms.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

my landlord just gave me 2 free months and new contract is already 50% reduction

i went out and bought him a bottle of jamesons

he was ecstatic, much lost in translation
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Hmmm, my rent is due on Monday.

I might set the girlfriend upon them, see if she gets us a break.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:48 pm Hmmm, my rent is due on Monday.

I might set the girlfriend upon them, see if she gets us a break.
threesome takes on a new meaning
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

My landlord RAISED my rent just before the COVID-19 mess kicked of. Since I personally don't suffer any coronavirus-related economic hardship and since I had agreed to that increase and I'm as good as my word, I didn't renegotiate. Lucky him!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have had a 20% discount ( 2,000 baht) since march and will go on till.......and my electric bill is set at what i paid in Feb, ( last month saved about $7) ( thats 20%)
my income has not been affected at all. BUT my gf makes nada now till the school can open
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

My landlord is being a dick.

In the last 1,5 year he build a new house next to the apartment building and a new house in the countryside. He got three cars traveled to Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Europe twice.

I asked him for a covid discount on my rent ($350) and a discount on my electricity (1,000r). He just blatantly said no. He needs to pay his mortgage.

So he can f himself. I'm moving out and trying to get others in the building to do the same.

Can anyone find/share the article that states that landlords can't charge more for electricity than the edc rate?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Equinix wrote:My landlord is being a dick.

In the last 1,5 year he build a new house next to the apartment building and a new house in the countryside. He got three cars traveled to Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Europe twice.

I asked him for a covid discount on my rent ($350) and a discount on my electricity (1,000r). He just blatantly said no. He needs to pay his mortgage.

So he can f himself. I'm moving out and trying to get others in the building to do the same.

Can anyone find/share the article that states that landlords can't charge more for electricity than the edc rate?
Who is being a dick?
Any mirrors in your apartment?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Is anyone considering paying back the discount when things get better?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic