Plane circling PP

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Plane circling PP

Post by lostjeremy »

Kept hearing a bunch of planes overhead so I pulled up the FT app and it shows a JC flight making circles. I'm assuming there's only 2 reasons for this - testing or flight issues.Image

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Plane circling PP

Post by IraHayes »

Just been watching this a minute or 2 after you posted and Flightradar24 shows it touching down and taking off again. Not sure how Accurate the altitude reading is but it went to zero then started going up again. The graph on the left shows multiple attempts to land as well.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

I hope just testing. But if not, dumping fuel and circling an airport down to fumes in the fuel tanks before crash landing is standard procedure.

Maybe nothing, but if a landing gear problem, flying low past the tower for visual confirmation would also be procedure. It would look like an attempted landing on the app.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Seems that it took off from PNH with no destination at 7:10am so probably taking the opportunity to practice landings while their is nothing in the air due to travel restrictions.

Edited to add: checked arrivals and departures.... nothing listed there for it either.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

IraHayes wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:57 am Seems that it took off from PNH with no destination at 7:10am so probably taking the opportunity to practice landings while their is nothing in the air due to travel restrictions.
Likely training then...gotta keep those certifications up during the lockdown or there won't be any pilots to fly once this shit ends.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Felgerkarb wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:01 am
IraHayes wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:57 am Seems that it took off from PNH with no destination at 7:10am so probably taking the opportunity to practice landings while their is nothing in the air due to travel restrictions.
Likely training then...gotta keep those certifications up during the lockdown or there won't be any pilots to fly once this shit ends.
Yeah.. touch-and-go landings appear to be a valid training manoeuvre but it’s usefulness appears to be debated according to Wikipedia.
Maybe @Freightdog could she’d some light on this?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

On a side note does it make me a bad person that after reading and checking the OP for myself I got a tingle of excitement?
My first thought, I admit, was “shit he’s right. What if it has a technical problem and crashes?”
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I've been worrying a bit about plane saftey when all this is finished most planes have been sitting for months , are the safe?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Whilst on Flightradar24 I noticed a helicopter pilot appearing to make a statement over the southern side of PP.

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Felgerkarb wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 am I hope just testing. But if not, dumping fuel and circling an airport down to fumes in the fuel tanks before crash landing is standard procedure.

Maybe nothing, but if a landing gear problem, flying low past the tower for visual confirmation would also be procedure. It would look like an attempted landing on the app.
For this there's a holding point north of Phnom Penh, you don't dump fuel at low altitudes over a capital. This plane wasn't in trouble, if in trouble you don't do the same pattern 10 times. Just training I think.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic