Female Entertainment Workers and Condom Use (Study)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Female Entertainment Workers and Condom Use (Study)

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Female Entertainment Workers and Condom Use Negotiation in Post-100% Condom Use Era Cambodia

Published: 24 March 2020

He went into the room with me for such a long time and then he removed the condom. I refused and pushed him away then he refused to give me money. I didn’t agree and he said that if I didn’t, he’d call the police. I said ‘what an asshole’ but still he did not agree to give me the money. He forced me so hard until I ran downstairs (Participant 2, Banteay Meanchey Group 4).

Some women choose not to use a condom with partners they trust. One participant, when asked if she used a condom with her sweetheart, responded: “never…he seems trustworthy, and I love him a lot…and he’s very loyal” (Participant 2, Siem Reap Group 5). Another, when asked why she did not wear a condom with her husband or sweetheart, simply stated: “They are my lovers. [I’m] using a condom with whom I don’t love only” (Participant 4, Siem Reap Group 4). Others indicated they did not use a condom for their or their partner’s pleasure.

Participants compared condom use decision-making with clients they didn’t know with regular clients sometimes called sweethearts and intimate partners. A participant’s trust of her sexual partner factored into her decision to insist upon or negotiate condom use. This trust as a driver of condom use (or of not using) was discussed in 16 of the 27 FGDs (59.3%). Participants often indicated that they would not necessarily use a condom with partners they trusted (excluding a desire to avoid pregnancy). This was most often the case in relationship to husbands or sweethearts (regular clients/boyfriends).

I never tell him I have sex with clients. I am afraid he will get angry and dump me so I need to hide from him…that’s why I use condoms only with my clients but with him I never use. I am afraid he suspects that I have more than one partner (Participant 2, Battambang Group 2).

Women indicated that when drinking alcohol, they may forget to ensure that the man is wearing a condom; it may decrease her resolve to insist upon a condom or it may lower her inhibitions, and she may have sex when a condom is not available. One participant described the risks of drinking and having sex without a condom: “Sometimes the women working at the club want to drink, and they become forgetful (some may not); they want to go out with the guests so the things they face are HIV and pregnancy” (Participant 3, Battambang Group 3).

Brody, C., Reno, R., Chhoun, P. et al. Female Entertainment Workers and Condom Use Negotiation in Post-100% Condom Use Era Cambodia. Arch Sex Behav (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-020-01649-3

full https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 20-01649-3