British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I presume court testimonies in Cambodia are under oath, or something similar, which makes her statement flat out perjury of a serious nature.

The guy's done most of his time, so why did it take her this long? Is the impending release date a coincidence?

Then there is defamation. I doubt he has the energy.

I would say this guy will do anything to clear his name, and was possibly strong enough not to pay off someone to drop a complaint about something he didn't do, in order to avoid jail time and conviction. Takes a brave man to look the Devil in the eye, and not sell his soul, and call him the Devil. Conviction, purpose and values.

So, he's done the time. In return for no further action, he clears his name - most important, but mud turns to cement with a conviction - based on the reversed testimony and no material evidence (apart from a wishy-washy, maternally dictated, changing statement, that was removable for a price that seemed to go from 20k down to 5k).

He will want it all to go away, and he seems to have a lot of all-important support, but if that's the whole story, it sucks.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doodoo2010
Tourist
Australia

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by Doodoo2010 »

by Pseudonomdeplume » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:07 am

'I presume court testimonies in Cambodia are under oath, or something similar, which makes her statement flat out perjury of a serious nature.'

She will go away and be forgotton :(

I feel so sad for Matthew knowing how this system works, I hope he can get back to England ASAP and get Therapy x
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

No mention anywhere in KT about the woman's turnaround testimony, only that Matthew told a hearing yesterday that he was innocent.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501060878/ ... ouch-girl/
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by tears_in_rain »

This is the risk that every ex-pat takes living in a corrupt, third-world country, like Cambodia.

That being said, with the metoo movement and third-wave feminism, whereby, women can retrospectively withdraw their consent. Thousands of innocent men are also thrown into the rape rooms of American prisons.

Any woman who was caught making up a false accusation should get the sentence, and more!
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:13 pm This is the risk that every ex-pat takes living in a corrupt, third-world country, like Cambodia.

That being said, with the metoo movement and third-wave feminism, whereby, women can retrospectively withdraw their consent. Thousands of innocent men are also thrown into the rape rooms of American prisons.

Any woman who was caught making up a false accusation should get the sentence, and more!
the sentence for the false testimony should be 3 times the sentence that the innocent man got...plus 20 strokes with a cane executed by her husband.

A life nearly destroyed by jealousy.
work is for people who cant find truffles
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by tears_in_rain »

I honestly think that it's safer just to take a woman from the bar rather than get involved with a local, who might have a borderline personality disorder. A lot of ex-pats are completely oblivious to the risks involved in starting up relationships with local women, especially when there are children involved. You are a guest in their country. Consequently, the local woman will always be believed without due process of law despite how dubious her character may be and how flimsy the evidence presented.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

truffledog wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:27 pm
tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:13 pm This is the risk that every ex-pat takes living in a corrupt, third-world country, like Cambodia.

the sentence for the false testimony should be 3 times the sentence that the innocent man got...plus 20 strokes with a cane executed by her husband.

A life nearly destroyed by jealousy.
Unfortunately in a country without due process it would only make them commit to the accusation.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

This happens in western countries also , plus how many false AVOs are issued just to get the man out of the house.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:42 pm I honestly think that it's safer just to take a woman from the bar rather than get involved with a local, who might have a borderline personality disorder. A lot of ex-pats are completely oblivious to the risks involved in starting up relationships with local women, especially when there are children involved. You are a guest in their country. Consequently, the local woman will always be believed without due process of law despite how dubious her character may be and how flimsy the evidence presented.
Many men in the world have the same opinion as you and you can't blame them, never getting involved with a woman again the risks are to high, sad sad state of affairs romance is being killed off.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
lostinthenetherworld
Tourist
United States of America

Post by lostinthenetherworld »

Perhaps he pays his wife to change her story or she realized her life is pretty hard with her husband in prison and not earning money.

It sounds like he previously confessed to touching the girl’s genitals and now blames that on a “mistranslation” and says he was just hugging and kissing his wife’s 13 year old niece. That’s not very convincing to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic