British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
serenity
Tourist

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by serenity »

Hi everyone,

I've got another account on here for years but want that one to stay private :)

I've been trying for the last few hours to find someone that knows someone that works at the British embassy in Phnom Penh.
Up until now, no luck.

The reason being, The information of the people that are working on Matthews case has been sent to the embassy through their global government system over a week ago, but up until now there has been zero contact with anyone...

So if someone has any idea of who could be of help this would be highly appreciated.

I'm sorry I can't share anything about the case but everyone that knows Matthew is behind him.
PHofer
BANNED
Switzerland

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by PHofer »

serenity wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:47 pm'm sorry I can't share anything about the case but everyone that knows Matthew is behind him.
Not everyone. People close to him accuse him of sex assault.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

serenity wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:47 pm The reason being, The information of the people that are working on Matthews case has been sent to the embassy through their global government system over a week ago, but up until now there has been zero contact with anyone...
By all accounts, the UK's embassy is completely useless. Even when it comes to assisting people who aren't in any real hurry because of being under lock and key. You might need to give them a nudge, or ten.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Pleaded Guilty and got 2.5 years!
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

BigDee wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:22 pm Pleaded Guilty and got 2.5 years!
Link? Source?
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: British Teacher Arrested in Siem Reap Accused of Sexual Assault

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 pm His eyes are too close together.
Yup, wasn't wrong.
serenity
Tourist

Post by serenity »

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but he most definitely didn't plead guilty...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

serenity wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:56 pm
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but he most definitely didn't plead guilty...
Social media in Cambodia is gossip central, I bet it was posted on fb. :director:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia (UPDATE)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: APPEAL
In a complete and shocking turnaround, the wife of Matthew William Watkin, an English teacher living in Siem Reap province accused of molesting their nieces, has changed her story before the Supreme Court. She now declares that her husband is innocent.
The British man is appealing against charges of sexually molesting two sisters aged 13 and 17, filed by the victims' mother.

Wife of English Teacher Flips Testimony About Sexual Assault
2 min read

Keat Soriththeavy
| Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:18 pm

A British man’s Cambodian wife said in court on Wednesday that her previous testimony accusing him of molesting their 13-year-old niece had been given out of jealousy and she now wanted justice for him.

Matthew William Watkin, an English teacher living in Siem Reap province, was convicted of sexual assault in 2020, and was sentenced to two years and six months in prison. He was also fined about $1,000 and ordered to pay compensation of $2,500.

During the initial trial, his wife Prin Sophea said she had seen him molesting their 13-year-old niece when she came home from work at 11 p.m. on March 18, 2020.

However, during a Supreme Court appeal on Wednesday, Sophea testified that on the night of March 18, 2020, her niece and husband were both at home, but she hadn’t seen him sexually assaulting the niece.

She was drunk and felt jealous, she said, adding that she could even feel jealousy about Watkin and his sister.

“My husband did not do that. This is not true. I want justice for my husband,” Sophea said.

Watkin told the court on Wednesday that he had only hugged and kissed his relatives as is normal in a family, and denied any sexual assault. He added that some of his previous answers about touching genitals had been mistranslated.

Defense lawyer So Mosseny argued that the 13-year-old victim had been unclear on which date the assault happened and had changed her story during questioning, and that the girl’s mother had asked for $5,000 to drop her complaint.

The 13-year-old’s mother was the one who filed a complaint to police, saying Watkin had abused both the 13-year-old and her 17-year-old sister, including touching the children’s chest and genitals.

Prosecutor Chhuon Chantha said the evidence and testimony was clear, and asked the judge to uphold the conviction. The verdict will be announced on May 4.
https://vodenglish.news/wife-of-english ... l-assault/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia (UPDATE)

Post by tears_in_rain »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:28 pm UPDATE: APPEAL
In a complete and shocking turnaround, the wife of Matthew William Watkin, an English teacher living in Siem Reap province accused of molesting their nieces, has changed her story before the Supreme Court. She now declares that her husband is innocent.
The British man is appealing against charges of sexually molesting two sisters aged 13 and 17, filed by the victims' mother.

Wife of English Teacher Flips Testimony About Sexual Assault
2 min read

Keat Soriththeavy
| Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:18 pm

A British man’s Cambodian wife said in court on Wednesday that her previous testimony accusing him of molesting their 13-year-old niece had been given out of jealousy and she now wanted justice for him.

Matthew William Watkin, an English teacher living in Siem Reap province, was convicted of sexual assault in 2020, and was sentenced to two years and six months in prison. He was also fined about $1,000 and ordered to pay compensation of $2,500.

During the initial trial, his wife Prin Sophea said she had seen him molesting their 13-year-old niece when she came home from work at 11 p.m. on March 18, 2020.

However, during a Supreme Court appeal on Wednesday, Sophea testified that on the night of March 18, 2020, her niece and husband were both at home, but she hadn’t seen him sexually assaulting the niece.

She was drunk and felt jealous, she said, adding that she could even feel jealousy about Watkin and his sister.

“My husband did not do that. This is not true. I want justice for my husband,” Sophea said.

Watkin told the court on Wednesday that he had only hugged and kissed his relatives as is normal in a family, and denied any sexual assault. He added that some of his previous answers about touching genitals had been mistranslated.

Defense lawyer So Mosseny argued that the 13-year-old victim had been unclear on which date the assault happened and had changed her story during questioning, and that the girl’s mother had asked for $5,000 to drop her complaint.

The 13-year-old’s mother was the one who filed a complaint to police, saying Watkin had abused both the 13-year-old and her 17-year-old sister, including touching the children’s chest and genitals.

Prosecutor Chhuon Chantha said the evidence and testimony was clear, and asked the judge to uphold the conviction. The verdict will be announced on May 4.
https://vodenglish.news/wife-of-english ... l-assault/

Typical. Bit late for this poor chap now. The risk of living in a third-world country without proper due process of law.

His wife should do at least two years for making up false allegations!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic