British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

hunter8 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:35 pm Staying far away from other people’s children like they got a plague is not only wise but can literally save your life. Curious how some barangs can work as teachers when they know they are easy targets for extortion.
I’ve been a highschool teacher for years and from my own experience I can tell you ‘real teachers ‘ have several checks and balances in place to prevent this from happening. Not sure they teach that kind of stuff during a TEFL course....
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: British Teacher MATTHEW WILLIAM WATKIN Arrested; Accused of Sexual Assault in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by rexwell »

hunter8 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:35 pm Staying far away from other people’s children like they got a plague is not only wise but can literally save your life. Curious how some barangs can work as teachers when they know they are easy targets for extortion.
The story is not about his teaching. His fault in my mind is that he was living with a scheming bargirl, that's putting the squeeze on him for some money. With bars closed and few tourists, she will be short of cash right now, and he'll probably be on half pay, and not able to kick her too many bucks. Anyone who's lived with a bargirl knows how volatile they can be.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm At my current employer a google search was done on an employee and, lo and behold, a thread about him was discovered......on CEO. Yes this very forum!

In the comments section of the thread the man was described by some as harmless but by some as a scammer and a drug user. Claims which could be completely unwarranted. True or not it realty didn't help his cause when it came to contract renewal time. The thread also contained some unfortunately staged photos of him and some of his students in Cambodia.
Was it No Joke?

Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

No Joke Howard is the best. And having a TEFL cert gaurantees nothing but the highest quality teacher.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

rexwell wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:23 pm
The story is not about his teaching. His fault in my mind is that he was living with a scheming bargirl, that's putting the squeeze on him for some money. With bars closed and few tourists, she will be short of cash right now, and he'll probably be on half pay, and not able to kick her too many bucks. Anyone who's lived with a bargirl knows how volatile they can be.
Where did you read he was living with a bargirl ?
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

barang_TK wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:48 pm
rexwell wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:23 pm
Where did you read he was living with a bargirl ?
I think it was on page 1.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: British Teacher Arrested in Siem Reap Accused of Sexual Assault

Post by Arget »

barang_TK wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 pm I met him before, nice guy. So I'm pretty sure to know his two nieces and their mother (well-known in SR nightlife, but under another name) who is always looking for money.
I don't know what happened, allegations may be right. Or just a money affair between adults...
He did not marry the mother...............................
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher Arrested in Siem Reap Accused of Sexual Assault

Post by barang_TK »

Arget wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:28 pm
barang_TK wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 pm I met him before, nice guy. So I'm pretty sure to know his two nieces and their mother (well-known in SR nightlife, but under another name) who is always looking for money.
I don't know what happened, allegations may be right. Or just a money affair between adults...
He did not marry the mother...............................
I didn't write that he married the mother of his nieces...
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

rexwell wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:23 pm The story is not about his teaching.
Yes, i know.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

He resembles a younger version of famous child molester John Mark Karr with hair.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic