Does Cambodia corrupt the moral compass?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Does Cambodia corrupt the moral compass?

Post by Electric Earth »

hunter8 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pmAn old man told his grandson...
Is that in Cowboy Bebop?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Some Westerner get away with a lot of bad behaviour in Cambodia they not dare to do in their home country. With so many rules and regulations in these countries, maybe they like the release of freedom..

So many standard different here in Cambodia. Example. In western country older man with young lady and people look down. Here not such big deal. :hattip:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Sir Stephen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm Some Westerner get away with a lot of bad behaviour in Cambodia they not dare to do in their home country. With so many rules and regulations in these countries, maybe they like the release of freedom..

So many standard different here in Cambodia. Example. In western country older man with young lady and people look down. Here not such big deal. :hattip:
See my earlier post about predisposition towards amorality.

When in Rome, do the Romans.
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:53 pm When in Rome, do the Romans.
Like Caligula (Macron version haha)?

Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

To me the OP's right, you can't just live life on a 'when in Rome' basis, you have to make your own judgements of right and wrong. That's one of the key parts of being an adult. This would usually be based on the values of cultures in which we've been brought up, but adapted to an extent based on other influences and our own thinking.

At the end of the day, I believe there's more to how we conduct ourselves than simply what we can get away with. Similarly, although you have to have some respect for cultures you are in, particularly as a visitor, I wouldn't feel compelled to abide by a particular society's view on an issue if I didn't agree with it, whether my view is more or less 'ethical' than the one prevailing where I am.

To me one of the privileges of travelling is to be able to see different cultural attitudes, and to be able to make your own judgement about what's right and what's wrong based on different approaches to issues that different societies take, and also to me there's a balance between parts of Asian society and parts of western society, where in some ways one has it more right than the other.

Cambodia might well liberate or educate an individual, but I think the only thing that can corrupt a person's moral compass is themselves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic