Palm oil causing heart attacks

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
J21H21
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Palm oil causing heart attacks

Post by J21H21 »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:26 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 am

Palm oil consumed as a dietary fat as a part of a healthy balanced diet does not have incremental risk for cardiovascular disease. Little or no additional benefit will be obtained by replacing it with other oils rich in mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids.

I'm very sure we've had a chat about this around seven or eight years ago, and you were not a fan of palm oil at that time.
I,m not a fan of palm oil at all and would never use the stuff, I use olive oil and Peanut oil. However I was responding to the ops palmoil concerns and asking for some citations showing his concerns. I cited a paper whose conclusion you quote above
as another perspective
"Palm oil consumed as a dietary fat as a part of a healthy balanced diet does not have incremental risk for cardiovascular disease. Little or no additional benefit will be obtained by replacing it with other oils rich in mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids.

As SternAAlbifrons points out Palm Oil seems to be contentious and the problem seems to be when it is in the oxidised state. He cites a couple of articles addressing this. so the op has a few articles to peruse.
I agree with Kuroneko - olive oil and peanut oil are my go to cooking oils. The statement re moderate use of palm oil is also scientifically valid. Destroying rain forests to allow more palm plantations is reprehensible and untenable in the long term. That said...
Please note that oil is considered rancid when oxidation has occurred. Oxidation is not exclusive to palm oil. Cooking at excessive temperatures, exposure to light, storage in open containers, etc. cause any oil to become rancid (oxidized). This applies to all edible oils (vegetable, olive, nut oils, etc.). One test in particular measures the Peroxide Value (PV - level of peroxide formation) present during initial oxidation. The results are given in millimoles per kg - with 0 mm/ kg being optimal.
All oils oxidize. Store oil in tightly sealed dark glass, ceramic, or stainless steel containers. Refrigerated storage is best in the kow.
Rancid oil = oxidized oil = improperly stored (or used) oil = discard it! Oxidized oil is not to be consumed by humans or animals!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

J21H21 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 am Rancid oil = oxidized oil = improperly stored (or used) oil = discard it! Oxidized oil is not to be consumed by humans or animals!
There's a cue for the gutter oil vid :mrgreen:
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

where can i buy peanut oil here, plz?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

fazur wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:15 am where can i buy peanut oil here, plz?
Lucky's at Sorya Mall and Bayon, but it can be a bit hit and miss, ie not always in stock.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

thank you.

what's the healthiest oil to use for cooking, in ur opinion?
J21H21
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by J21H21 »

fazur wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:15 am where can i buy peanut oil here, plz?
I found peanut oil at Angkor Market, NR6, Siem Reap. I bought it about 3 months ago. I'll check availability tomorrow and update.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

If I can add my two cents:

Oils from seeds like corn, soy, raisin, cottonseed, sunflower, etc = BAD

Oils from pulp such as olive, avocado, coconut, palm = GOOD

There’s no such thing as “vegetable oil”, it’s either seed extracted with solvants and acids or pulp pressed from a few fatty fruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

fazur wrote:thank you.

what's the healthiest oil to use for cooking, in ur opinion?
Healthiest oil to cook with would be from animal lard. People used to boil animal fat to make their oil.

Second choice would be pulp oil like coconut oil or palm oil.

To avoid, all seed oils. Peanut, corn, soy, sunflower, etc. Ifs it’s seed extracted it’s unhealthy.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Nicolas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am If I can add my two cents:

Oils from seeds like corn, soy, raisin, cottonseed, sunflower, etc = BAD

Oils from pulp such as olive, avocado, coconut, palm = GOOD

There’s no such thing as “vegetable oil”, it’s either seed extracted with solvants and acids or pulp pressed from a few fatty fruits.

When it comes to an argument about food, I will always be on the side of the French guy...
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:34 pmWhen it comes to an argument about food, I will always be on the side of the French guy...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic