Palm oil causing heart attacks

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Palm oil causing heart attacks

Post by Duncan »

Malaysia produces a lot of palm oil, and my observation of the women there is they are way way grossly overweight which I think is put down to the fact of all their food contains or is cooked in palm oil. But most don't care cause they hide it all under their tent style clothes they wear.
It would be interesting to look at the stats on heart attacks in Malaysia compared to other countries.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 am

Palm oil consumed as a dietary fat as a part of a healthy balanced diet does not have incremental risk for cardiovascular disease. Little or no additional benefit will be obtained by replacing it with other oils rich in mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids.

I'm very sure we've had a chat about this around seven or eight years ago, and you were not a fan of palm oil at that time.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Palm oil consumed as a dietary fat as a part of a healthy balanced diet does not have incremental risk for cardiovascular disease. Little or no additional benefit will be obtained by replacing it with other oils rich in mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids.

I'm very sure we've had a chat about this around seven or eight years ago, and you were not a fan of palm oil at that time.
I,m not a fan of palm oil at all and would never use the stuff, I use olive oil and Peanut oil. However I was responding to the ops palmoil concerns and asking for some citations showing his concerns. I cited a paper whose conclusion you quote above
as another perspective
"Palm oil consumed as a dietary fat as a part of a healthy balanced diet does not have incremental risk for cardiovascular disease. Little or no additional benefit will be obtained by replacing it with other oils rich in mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids.

As SternAAlbifrons points out Palm Oil seems to be contentious and the problem seems to be when it is in the oxidised state. He cites a couple of articles addressing this. so the op has a few articles to peruse.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 am Highly contested Kuroneko ^^^
Not least because the palm oil and processed food industry funds a lot of "research"
I searched for the funders of this paper and could not find ant indication - always a reason for caution.

There are many studies which point out very real dangers to human health caused by palm oil,particularly when processed - AND because of the way it is is farmed (leaving out the catastrophic impact on the environment itself)

"A considerable amount of the commonly used palm oil is in the oxidized state which possesses potential dangers to the physiological and biochemical functions of the body. Oxidation is as a result of processing the oil for various culinary purposes. Studies have revealed that relative to fresh palm oil, oxidized palm oil induces an adverse plasma lipid profile, free fatty acids, phospholipids and cerebrosides. Additionally, oxidized palm oil induces reproductive toxicity and organotoxicity particularly of the kidneys, lungs, liver and heart."
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 8089715153

Study in WHO journal likens palm oil lobbying to tobacco and alcohol industries
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN1P21ZT

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/sp ... 229468.ece#

"We highlight the industry’s mutually profitable relationship with the processed food industry and its impact on human and planetary health, including detrimental cultivation practices that are linked to respiratory illnesses, deforestation, loss of biodiversity and pollution. This analysis illustrates many parallels to the contested nature of practices adopted by the alcohol and tobacco industries. The article concludes with suggested actions for researchers, policy-makers and the global health community to address and mitigate the negative impacts of the palm oil industry on human and planetary health."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6357563/

etc etc etc
Agree that it is definitely harmful environmentally, I believe laws should be passed requiring labeling clearly identifying its use and the percentage of the product.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

CryptoAddict_ wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:03 am Do you guys avoid palm oil and other vegetable oils? I’m leaving for Cambo soon and I’ve been reading a lot about palm oils causing massive heart attack around a 6 month period of heavy consumption and also other vegetable oils in Cambodia that will literally cause plaque in your artery and kill you very fast.

How do you guys avoid these dangerous oils? Do you just cook yourself and avoid them or what? Definitely stay away from palm Oil, you will die fast
You sir an absolute genius. I have been puzzling over all these heart attack deaths in Cambodia for years. This is it!
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Wait. What? CEO is a communication channel with the dead? genius!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Duncan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:43 am The most interesting part of the OP post is,,,
Quote,
I’m leaving for Cambo soon
14 days in Cambodian quarantine will take his mind off the dangers of palm oil.

Of all the things potential newcomers worry about, has anyone heard of anything so obscure as palm oil?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

There is good reason that calories from fat is listed in the "Nutrition Facts." And while nobody should think about it with a balanced diet, mine sure isnt. And many others overeat. This definitely accounts for the unusual amount of heart attacks in Cambodia.
CryptoAddict_
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CryptoAddict_ »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 am Highly contested Kuroneko ^^^
Not least because the palm oil and processed food industry funds a lot of "research"
I searched for the funders of this paper and could not find ant indication - always a reason for caution.

There are many studies which point out very real dangers to human health caused by palm oil,particularly when processed - AND because of the way it is is farmed (leaving out the catastrophic impact on the environment itself)

"A considerable amount of the commonly used palm oil is in the oxidized state which possesses potential dangers to the physiological and biochemical functions of the body. Oxidation is as a result of processing the oil for various culinary purposes. Studies have revealed that relative to fresh palm oil, oxidized palm oil induces an adverse plasma lipid profile, free fatty acids, phospholipids and cerebrosides. Additionally, oxidized palm oil induces reproductive toxicity and organotoxicity particularly of the kidneys, lungs, liver and heart."
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 8089715153

Study in WHO journal likens palm oil lobbying to tobacco and alcohol industries
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN1P21ZT

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/sp ... 229468.ece#

"We highlight the industry’s mutually profitable relationship with the processed food industry and its impact on human and planetary health, including detrimental cultivation practices that are linked to respiratory illnesses, deforestation, loss of biodiversity and pollution. This analysis illustrates many parallels to the contested nature of practices adopted by the alcohol and tobacco industries. The article concludes with suggested actions for researchers, policy-makers and the global health community to address and mitigate the negative impacts of the palm oil industry on human and planetary health."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6357563/

etc etc etc
This guy gets it
CryptoAddict_
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CryptoAddict_ »

CryptoAddict_ wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:03 am I’ve been reading a lot about palm oils causing massive heart attack around a 6 month period of heavy consumption and also other vegetable oils in Cambodia that will literally cause plaque in your artery and kill you very fast.
Cite your references for this assumption please.

Palm oil and the heart: A review World: Osaretin J Odia, Sandra Ofori, and Omosivie Maduka. J Cardiol. 2015 Mar 26; 7(3): 144–149.

Therefore, in conclusion it is the opinion of the authors that palm oil consumed as a dietary fat as part of a healthy balanced diet does not have incremental risk for cardiovascular disease. Little or no additional benefit will be obtained by replacing it with other oils rich in mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids. We recognize that more longitudinal population-based studies are needed to fully characterize the impact of the consumption of diets, which utilize palm oil compared to other accepted “heart healthy” oils like olive oil on the future risk of heart disease using lipid parameters as intermediate markers of risk.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4365303/
Palm oil is a vegetable oil that contains 50% triglycerides that are known to increase the risk for stroke, heart attack, heart disease by hardening and thickening the arteries. Palm oil also contains 40% oleic acid, a heart-healthy fatty acid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofi ... 998422.cms
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic